What was the first manga you ever read without seeing the anime first?

What caught your attention? Was it the cover art? The title? Did you stumble upon it through click bait? If it was adapted, how did you feel about the anime?

For me, its pic related. Yofukashi no Uta/Song of the Nightwalkers (English anime title: Call of the Night). I got clickbaited on Youtube into being aware of the manga. I immediately spent all my spare time for the next two days reading all 80+ chapters that were out at the time.

Before that I was an animeonly for almost every show with a couple of exceptions that I liked so much I went and checked out the manga.

And no, this isn't a rec bait thread, my watch and reading lists are already overwhelmingly full. I'm genuinely curious about the question presented.

Attached: YNUcover.jpg (836x1200, 473.74K)

>2019
Damn newfag.

Not even that, "all 80+ chapters that were out at the time" means he's talking about the last ~4 months.

>newfag
to Any Forums? Yes. You could say I'm a recovering Any Forumstard that saw the errors of my ways. I don't want to go back. Sorry bout it.

>2019
The first time I decided I liked an anime so much I just had to check out the manga was actually last year. YNU had over 80 chapters out when I got clickbaited into it a couple ago.

I take ownership of my newfaggotry in this community. I'm curious about other people's experiences going through the phase I'm going through.

Keroro Gunso. Or Bleach. I don't remember.

Pic related. I didn't even know what manga was, I just found a cool looking comic at the library when I was like 7 years old and decided to read it. I only read the last 5 volumes until several years later when I finally read the manga from start to finish on whatever app I downloaded from the google play store before mangarock was a thing and back when you could actually get those kinds of apps from the play store. Dragon ball was also on the shelves so that was another one. My brother got that one though, so I just read it after he was done.

I think the first manga I went out of my way to find online was one piece, after the whitebeard war because I got tired of waiting to see what happened with Sabo during post marineford. It was on fishman Island at the time. I also found out about pokemon adventures through bulbapedia or something so I read that too, scans were up until platinum arc at the time. I didn't really start reading seriously until I watched bleach though. After fullbring I caught up to the latest chapter which was just after the Kenpachi stuff and during Isshin and Masaki's backstory. I loved bleach so after that I started watching/reading significantly more anime/manga. Still unironically my favourite series, 500+ series later

Attached: MegaMan_NT_Warrior_Volume_1.jpg (300x450, 106.04K)

Berserk, a friend who recommended me and showed me some of the art, I've never watched the anime adaptation.

But I used to watch anime and stick with the source material if there was, for most of the shows (back then 95% of all anime I watched were good in my mind).

To be fair, the anime is not even out yet.

Ranma. I was watching Tenchi Muyo for the first time with my cousin and we started talking about harem stories. He recommended Ranma, lent me the first 5 volumes, and my local library had the rest. I consider it a classic now, but I would have probably dropped it due to the lack of likeable characters if I was reading it today. Seriously, the amount of people who aren't selfish assholes in that series can be counted on one hand.

ramna 1/2. the enbys and troons really think it works like that and it shows. still a gem, give it a watch. you anime newfags are not going to understand, pampered with watching SAO and faggy ass Re:Zero, so you might not get it

My first manga predated my access to the internet. I saw a mention of Ranma in a magazine and tried it out.

Later, Ranma got an adaptation. I dropped that on the first episode. Though a decade or so later I did download the OP. I still listen to it sometimes.

I started reading One Piece before the anime started getting localized in 2004 (by 4kids) and before I started watching that and then jumping onto the fansubs. I don't know if you just want manga I completely finished before watching the anime. I usually at least start reading the manga before watching the anime. I may just read enough that I know I'm past the anime.

Monster may be the earliest. Though in its case I only saw an episode or two of the anime. Jojo's another example. I'd read at least to the end of part 6 before watching any of the anime. And there's plenty of manga I've read that I never bothered with the anime, and plenty that don't have anime.

Bondage Fairies

My cousin had a lot of saint seiya manga so i read a bunch of them as a kid. Can't remember a single thing though

Yofukashi no Uta fucking sucks but I can't stop reading it anyway

I was an animeonly fag for so long that I've watched around 500 of them before trying reading manga. I remember that it was Yotsuba because I liked Azumanga Daioh and wanted more from the author, so that's where it started. Since then I mostly read manga and only watch like 10 anime every years when they finish and are available in bluray

Attached: ac743536-e998-44fe-83c0-d3f903cba221.jpg (978x1400, 328.36K)

What's more common, animeonly or mangaonly?

Depends on where you look.
In Japan, manga-only's are far more common (among adult normalfags).
Outside of Japan, I'd say that there are pockets of manga-only's in particularly old communities (Any Forums being one such old community), but the majority will be either mix or anime-only.

Possibly Nagatoro. I'm sure there was something earlier but I can't think of it. Call me a newfag, don't care. Watched anime on and off forever, but until recently tracking down translated manga was too much of a chore for me, or at least I believed it would be. Ah, now I recall I read a bunch of a friend's Naruto collection way back, for whatever that's worth.

Attached: 1636243141024.jpg (712x1024, 94.91K)

>I was an animeonly fag for so long that I've watched around 500 of them before trying reading manga.
It wasn't nearly 500, only a few dozen, but this is something like my path as well.

>Nagatoro
What is your reaction to the anime vs. the manga?

>Yofukashi no Uta fucking sucks but I can't stop reading it anyway
For all I know it could be an objectively bad manga. I'm enjoying it almost as much as my favorite of the manga I picked up after seeing the anime first (pic related).

Attached: tonikaku kawaii.jpg (764x1200, 163.9K)