How do you feel about e-ink readers for manga?

How do you feel about e-ink readers for manga?

I keep thinking about getting a boox nova for reading manga on, having access to the apps and whatnot seems reasonable but it's hard to pick if there might be a better model.

Attached: file.png (1340x1068, 688.82K)

only buy an ereader if you are going to mainly use it for reading books imo
love my kindle like a sibling, but it's definitely optimized for text

just consider manga reading a bonus

refresh rates on eink are still pretty slow, and there's not quite as much contrast as would be ideal for manga with complex shading

not to mention color is impossible, so you miss out on the occasional nice colored work

Can you root 1 of these things? seems like the ultimate piracy device.

The Onyx Boox series run android, you can just stick whatever on them, my plan was to stick stuff like the jump app, tachiyomi etc.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (I think) and that's always been great for reading and watching anime on, I have a home media server so torrent all my anime to that and then watch and read stuff on my tablet. I couldn't go back to reading manga on a PC anymore it just doesn't feel right.

i primarily use my kindle for reading novels but i read on manga on it sometimes it just pain to get manga on it so i don't do it often.

no need to jailbreak most of them are already ultimate piracy device

>watching anime

Animwhat?

They're solid at the important part of replicating paper but the experience is overall pretty clunky. Page flipping is especially jarring especially if you have auto refresh on, which is an absolute must for manga.

I bought a Kobo for reading LNs and it's fantastic. I love it. It's truly the purchase I am happiest about.

Attached: file.png (1500x1500, 2.23M)

E-inks have very low refresh rates. It's something you can get used to when changing pages but the lag can get annoying. You can make refresh rates faster but it sacrifices visual quality somewhat. It's also more expensive. For the same money you could buy a tablet with a larger screen and proper support for color and video.
Only advantages e-inks have is that they don't cause eye strain, and their battery lasts weeks or even months. Unless you specifically want reduced eye strain and increased battery longevity stick to a normal tablet.

Nova isn't big enough for manga, get a Max.
It really helped me get into manga. Before I'd read once in a while and now I read several hours each day. Great for reading on the go or outside as well.

How often do you flip pages? Page refreshes on electronic paper are under a second, faster than you can flip paper pages.
Faster modes are only useful if you want to quickly browse for a specific page but even for that the normal mode is adequate.

>love my kindle like a sibling
That has some different conotations on Any Forums

The slow refresh rate is more noticeable with manga, especially if you attempt to zoom into the artwork or if you speedread.

I think that's the way he meant it, he wants to stick his dick in his kindle

Works for me.

I like my Kobo Forma for reading manga but contrast is lower than ideal (blacks look dark grey) and there's some ghosting (seeing a dimmed down version of the last page superimposed on the current page). I still prefer it over reading on a screen but I figure something like an Ipad would be better for manga.

>but contrast is lower than ideal (blacks look dark grey)
That's how manga is supposed to look.

boox type readers are far advanced past kindle

I think ereaders are great for manga (and books).
I got a boox note2 10” and kindle paperwhite 6.8”.
My main problem with boox is that there is no full refresh mode so you get some ghosting. Not all the time but enough to be annoying. I don’t have a problem with page flipping but it’s not instant like lcd screen. Full screen refresh have gotten quicker as well, my kindle with new screen tech is quicker than my old kobo ereader.
Kindle comic converter is great, not just for converting from cbz to mobi but for cropping borders to use more of the screen.

Attached: IMG_2238.jpg (1524x2017, 747.16K)

>My main problem with boox is that there is no full refresh mode so you get some ghosting.
In NeoReader, go to the hamburger menu and select refresh. That way you can change between normal and deep full-refresh.
Setting up a swipe gesture to do a refresh is also a good idea.

I will buy one once someone makes one that is just some arm(?) sbc taped onto an e-ink display.