Why are "top rated" anime/manga so hit or miss but the top VNs are all bangers?

I realize the title is a vast oversimplification. However, if we look at the top 50 MAL entries for example, I won't name names for now but at least half I thought were very mediocre (5-7/10 for me). But all the VNs I've played in the top 50 rated on VNDB (around 12?) were all at least 8/10, mostly 9-10/10. Like White Album 2, Muv-Luv, Higurashi, Umineko, etc. Why is this?

Attached: Muv-Luv-Wallpaper-018-Kouzuki-Yuuko.jpg (1920x1080, 264.66K)

>bangers

Yep!

What are your favorites?

muv luv is shit though

Attached: 1440027581905.png (546x546, 209.54K)

>MAL

Is there any better anime rating site? I usually use AniList though but only for cataloging, I don't give a fuck about ratings in general

Attached: 1484504353792.png (876x720, 517.32K)

>but the top VNs are all bangers?
Muv-Luv Alternative was an anomaly, it paved the way for movie-like VNs like Baldr Sky. But obviously that kind of model can't last without a solid story underneath it.
The fact is there hasn't been a good VN since Steins;Gate and Rewrite like 15 years ago. That format has collapsed.

selection bias
anime/manga are far more mainstream than vns
the shows that top a mainstream list typically have elements that are appealing to a wide range of people but they will not particularly target a niche
vns are a niche medium in comparison and therefore most people who are funneled or persuaded into them are biased to already be far more interested than the mainstream in them whereas most mainstream consumers will simply ignore them

>bangers
Do you really use this?

I was trying to write like a zoomie

Don't.

raging loop

Raging Loop is good for 80% of it but the end is atrocious. Protagonist is way too wanked too, unironically writer's self-insert, some parts are really cringe because they feel like writer is patting himself on the back.

Give up. That's just how things are nowadays.

7/10 was spooky at first and the deductions were fun

The House in Fata Morgana is great.

Chaos;Child and Tsukihime(Remake) were good.

half of MLA was shit and the ending was garbage tho

Umineko is the best VN, and it's a 7/10 at best

What if you don't play the second half? I reckon it could gain 1 or 2 points from that

Liar, that thing sucked