I know its anime, but like, how far does it actually stray from the book?

I know its anime, but like, how far does it actually stray from the book?

Attached: 81opQg2rJxL._RI_.jpg (1600x1200, 379.07K)

well first off he’s not a blue alien vampire in the book

I don't recall the book ever saying that he wasn't

I don't think there were mechs in the book.

Removed lesbians, introduced more homos.

lol there's mechs too? I'm just now starting this series tonight, I've only read the book

good

instead of just being told where to find a fuckton of treasure he makes a faustian bargain with an actual devil
also its a scifi setting a duels are fought with ornate mecha
also the story is told from the perspective of Albert de Morcef who finds the Count to be a compelling and seductive figure he feels compelled to learn everything about

Attached: d10f60bf6c5ebb5f581b3ada14f820f6[1].gif (500x170, 746.33K)

did they yknow, kiss in that scene

Pretty far with all the sci-fi and the demon nonsense. But there is still good plot to be had

Attached: 2524-523-495.png (1109x630, 862.21K)

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 8.7K)

Smaller!

It's a really bad """adaptation""" and I have no idea why people like it

It strays pretty far from the book, but it's an interesting accompaniment. The anime is told, to the best of my knowledge, pretty much exclusively from the perspective of Albert de Morcef whereas the book alternates between many characters including Edmond Dantes. When one doesn't get to see things from Edmond's perspective, his actions really do portray him as being something of a maniac which is mostly what the show is trying to get at (his benefactor is also a space demon this time, which doesn't help him).

I like it, as a fan of the book- it's not just The Count of Monte Cristo in space, it's its own thing.

>I have no idea why people like it
I personally like the character designs, and the weird animation style to is awesome when I'm high. Also pic related

The main difference is at the end, in the book he doesn't duel Albert and doesn't die after that.

Probably as accurate as Howl's Moving Castle, which is to say not at all.

that's fine. you don't need to know

Well, the book takes place during Napoleon Bonaparte's exile, for one thing. Gankutsuou starts with Edmond Dantes already the Count of Monte Cristo, whereas that doesn't happen until about halfway through the book. We see the anime from Albert de Morcerf's perspective, in the book he's a fairly minor character. Edmond Dantes is not possessed by some weird space monster in the books, he was educated by a fellow prisoner named Abbe Faria, who gave him an education and told him about a secret treasure trove he had hidden away. And Dantes doesn't defeat said evil space monster through the power of love in the book, he realizes that punishing people while rewarding others conflicts too much, and that barely legal Greek pussy is way better than vengeance anyway.

The mech fight and ending ruined any goodwill I had left for the series

One interesting major difference between the anime and the book: it's established that Albert de Morcerf and Eugenie Danglars are in a loveless arranged marriage that gets more strained as the story goes on. In the anime, they both renounce the shackles of their family names and end up finding true love together. In the book, Eugenie completely fucks off from the rest of the story and runs away with her piano teacher, who is implied to be her lesbian lover. And that's when Albert starts to become jaded with aristocratic life.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but Peppo is a complete anime fabrication.

Attached: iu.jpg (574x321, 22.31K)