Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle

Hey lads, how do I appreciate this series? I remember watching a bit of the Ultimate Muscle anime as a kid, which I know is the sequel, but reading the manga of the original Kinnikuman story has been a pretty rough read so far. I'm about 30 chapters in and I know it's at some huge number like 765 or something.

Is there a recommendation to skip to X chapter or watch Y part instead? I remember thinking the anime I watched was pretty neat, but maybe that was just nostalgia? Any thoughts?

Attached: kinnikuman.jpg (382x600, 163.52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X5aSV6owis8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump to keep thread alive

Attached: 19421l.jpg (281x450, 75.29K)

Just keep on reading the manga. The beginning is definitely rough but once you get to the second choujin olympics, it really picks up from there.

Attached: sugurudefeats.jpg (640x480, 44.01K)

Is the anime worth a watch for the older show as well? I'm kind of under the impression that it might be similar to Dragon Ball in that Dragon Ball's anime is significantly better than the rest of the series, at least imo.

So far the kaiju stuff and humor of the beginning is a bit dull, so I'm really hoping it picks up soon. I also noticed the art style shift happens at some point, which I'm looking forward to as well as I'd definitely say it's pretty soulful.

Attached: 122673l.jpg (285x450, 69.52K)

Just read the original Manga and never read Nisei.

I'm at about chapter 30 in the original Kinnikuman so far, yeah. I just think it's showing its age with its humor being a bit dated is all. I'm mostly looking forward to the emphasis on wrestling, which I'm pretty sure happens at some point.

Attached: 34951l.jpg (230x360, 56.32K)

The anime is weird. They change some plot elements and throw in a bunch of secondary characters for gags and commentary. like Kinkotsuman and Iwao end up being dropped early on in the manga, but are constatly showing up throughout the anime. Overall i'd say the manga is absolutely better, though the anime has some pretty good scenes and music, especially in the final arc.

Have to wait for the first Choujin Olympics which shouldn't be far off. Honestly, most of the early series before wrestling could be skipped.

Just take your time bro it will be worth it.

honestly the old anime is definetly worth a watch. I just watched all thats been translated and then I picked up the manga from where I left off.

some story stuff is changed for like no reason though in the anime. for example robin masks wife is dead in the anime but it literally never happens in the manga

That's the impression that I was getting. It seemed to me like it was just stalling until the author knew where he wanted to take the series and focus on the wrestling aspect.

I'll try to keep reading through the beginning without skipping as best as I can.

That's good to hear. I might consider watching it at some point as well.

Also, is the sequel truly that bad or is it exaggeration?

Attached: 34953l.jpg (282x450, 88.56K)

I'm assuming you're talking about the sequel manga, kinnikuman nisei. the show version of it is "ultimate muscle", I haven't really got around to it yet but from what I hear its sort of lightly retconned?
basically it was mean to be a sequel that follows the next generation but then later on the author went back and continued the original manga for some reason.

>That's the impression that I was getting. It seemed to me like it was just stalling until the author knew where he wanted to take the series and focus on the wrestling aspect.
Do note that even after it switches to wrestling, the early arcs aren't really indicative of what the series is. The America Tour arc, in particular, is weird as shit in context with the rest of the series. That it very briefly goes back to comedy for a bit after that arc, before going "fuck it" and committing to being a fighting manga for the rest of its run.

Absolutely don't skip those chapters, though. There IS some important stuff in them. Not much, but some.

Yup, Kinnikuman Nisei is indeed what I meant. I made sure to look it up because I was confused as I was originally introduced to Nisei's anime adaptation of Ultimate Muscle. And it certainly seems like something about Nisei might not be that great if the author went back to the original, as I see the original is nearing 800 chapters as is.

As long as the wrestling gets good, I don't care how long it is.

Attached: Laios 9.png (147x269, 31.96K)

Glad you mentioned it, user. I'm not the type of person who usually skips filler in manga/anime anyway, but it's good to know that it evens out at some point.

Attached: Senshi 3.png (155x280, 37.56K)

Honestly, I prefer the anime adaption of Nisei over the manga. In the manga, Mantaro is a goddamn pretentious, unlikable brat. The anime keeps those traits, but balances it out by portraying him as much more of a goofy moron like his father. So when he's talking shit or acting like a pussy, it's much easier to laugh at how retarded he's acting. In the manga, Mantaro comes across as someone who should know better, but doesn't. Manga Mantaro fucking sucks.

>it certainly seems like something about Nisei might not be that great
I have read it and it's shit the sequal of nisei is disgraceful GOD it makes me ANGRY.

I wouldn't recommend skipping the early chapters. Kinnikuman's growth wouldn't feel as rewarding. It starts leaning more into the wrestling during the first chojin olympics, and by the 7 Akuma chojin arc it is full on action.

Attached: 141254566942.png (158x194, 30.67K)

Sensation isn't a bad op at all, although i feel like i prefer the first two openings better.

I guess that goes with what some of the other anons here were saying about potentially skipping Nisei as a whole, perhaps? I remember not hating the anime, as I clearly had some amount of interest to be here from it right now.

That makes sense to me as well to be honest. I'd probably be a bit confused about some of the other characters had I skipped anything.

Appreciate the input, anons!

Attached: Marcille 9.png (109x121, 14.71K)

Personally, I wish the manga didn't entirely do away with the comedy. The second chojin olympics arc has a good blend of wrestling and humor with Kinnikuman vs Warsman being my favorite fight in the series.

Attached: Kinnikuman.webm (614x720, 682.07K)

youtube.com/watch?v=X5aSV6owis8

this scene was so fucking cool in the anime. I got chills

Attached: kinoman.png (942x512, 416.29K)

OP you're genuinely so close to the point where the manga starts getting good. Once you get to the first choujin olympics it picks up, then there's a brief "world tour" arc that's kind of "whatever," and then you get the second choujin olympics. At that point it starts getting really good, and everything after that is genuinely fantastic, with every single arc getting more and more hype. Kinnikuman is one of the VERY few series out there that gets consistently better and better with every single arc, it's very special in that regard.

Attached: robin - 10.png (869x889, 1.09M)