Astro boy took itself way too seriously

Astro boy took itself way too seriously

Something can be inherently whimsical and not serious without being self-deprecating or ironic. Some media is emotionally and thematically genuine (and better for it), but that doesn't make it "serious." It knows it's absurd and owns it instead of getting self-serious in a hollow attempt to look more mature and profound (This show) or playing off the absurdity to shelter itself from criticism (Marvel Movies).
You people keep getting hung up on how serious is used as a synonym for sincerity in a non-media context. In media it means something different: that the work is meant to be considered deeply, and occasionally that its presentation is grave. Which is what this show does. It's pretentious and hollow. It's trying to give the illusion its something more mature than what it is.

Attached: 1631017198437(2).jpg (620x372, 12.22K)

I think Astro Boy is a great blend of comedic/silly, but also with serious themes. It was an excellent vehicle (no pun) to tell lots of good sci-fi stories. The idea of Astro Boy being used for generic superhero or shonen shit kinda makes me sick actually, and I think it misses the whole point. Tezuka and Astro Boy are often referred to as mecha, but honestly I think that's a inappropriate description. The label mecha itself feels like a subgenre of superhero/shonen, but Astro Boy really isn't like that. Tezuka is first and foremost a sci-fi and fantasy author.

Tonal whiplash is a thing.

It doesn't earn most of it's dramatic tone for the most part.

Okay but which Astro Boy? One of the anime? The original manga? Maybe give examples to follow up on your point?

The original manga. The 2003 anime as well.

what a weird take. not every story needs quips every 30 seconds to not be called pretentious

Attached: 013 (3).jpg (297x170, 21.09K)

Just want to point out that this is copypasta

Attached: BlackJackWow.png (247x338, 25.04K)

>Some media is emotionally and thematically genuine (and better for it), but that doesn't make it "serious." It knows it's absurd and owns it instead of getting self-serious in a hollow attempt to look more mature and profound (This show)
Can you not read?

I thought I was getting deja vu...

The cutesy designs, ridiculous concept and the melodrama don't mix.

Did you not read the OP?

Tonal whiplash is a thing for only for the most absolutely stupid smoothbrains
Don't bother replying I'm not gonna argue with someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to comprehend and enjoy a black comedy
>bad things are happening but he's... laughing?! Aaaaaaaiieeeee it's like my neck is getting whiplashed!!!!!!!!!!

Tones should be respected.

Tezuka was often melodramatic. That's not a novel take. Are you gonna complain about the 4th wall breaking jokes now?

Niinii bros...

ok

Attached: shut up faggot.png (1852x812, 370.98K)

>It was always considered bad writing
Alright then.

why not?

Ah yes, the series with literal dog police cars took itself too seriously. Fuck off back to Any Forums with this garbage.

Attached: 1646685602473.png (228x223, 76.86K)

OP is a massive, spamming faggot. You have to be an absolute brainlet if a serious show with simple, kid-friendly designs is somehow jarring to you. Fuck off, you are retarded and a troll.