'03 is better than Brotherhood

>better pacing, atmosphere, music, animation and themes
>sheer love and perfection there is in the voice acting
>better fight choreography and animation
>has way less obnoxious and out-of-place comedic moments that are presented in almost every episode of FMA:B
>Dante was a much more interesting antagonist than Father
>Envy was significantly better written in '03
>the concept of homunculi was way better in '03
>Scar's jaw wasn't built like a brick shithouse in '03

Why do people hate '03 version again?

Attached: fma.jpg (1200x1574, 242.97K)

i agree with the first 2 and that's about it

As someone who avoided this series for years and just recently watched both back-to-back last year (I do A-Z challenge each year, this was the F), and I fully agree. At least in the sense that I found less flaws in the 2003 version. I also think similar of Hunter x Hunter, insofar to the parts that were included of both versions, of course.

Honestly, they shouldn't have rushed the first few episodes of Brotherhood. While some may have watched the original, there wasn't any need to skip some material over just because they know it.

Brotherhood was better during the middle part, because in '03 they were just going around in circles there. But I liked the ending's atmosphere more in '03, you might say the ending sucked from a plot standpoit or whatever but at that point everything felt like nothing was the fantasy Ed and Al wanted and they had to pay for it.

Also homunculi were def better in 2003.

Both are mediocre.

I'm re-watching 2003, and honestly I'd forgotten how few punches it pulled, especially in the filler episodes.

Like literally the fourth episode (spoilers I guess, for an anime almost 20 years old...), there's this dude who's lover died, and 20 years later he's making puppets of her and killing lolis in the village to bind their souls to the puppets. But one goes crazy and starts wandering around, so he burns it alive. In the end he tries doing it again with a new girl, Ed and Al try to stop it but get captured and he's going to kill them. The dude accidentally stabs himself with his own sword, and then it's revealed in a twist that his servant was actually the long-lost lover, who had until recently lost her memory, but up to his own death in her arms, he denies it because she's too old and ugly. She, of course, still loved him and takes his death very badly. Goddamn, the entire thing is so enormously FUCKED UP, a glorious cautionary tale to the horrors of human transmutation when done obsessively, which also both foreshadows and builds up to Tucker and Nina. And this was filler entirely. The anime team just made it up.

I maintain to this day that the producers were trying their damndest to transform a clear-cut shounen into a seinen, and sometimes they come close. Rose got raped by a soldier in the end; that's where her baby comes from. They assume you're smart enough to figure that out without being told directly.

And Wrath is a better shotamonculus than Pride. Fite me.

Attached: EQrD8vUU8AAz2qC.jpg (2480x3508, 696.07K)

03 is fanfiction and adapts poorly even the early manga with shit that makes no sense like Rose rape. Also hitler and nazis are shit so the ending is automatically shit

03 was better if you started with it. Those poor bastards that get memed into watching brotherhood first can’t really handle 03.

03 is garbage. Nothing that happens in it makes any fucking sense once they begin to deviate from the manga. Only worthwhile moment is one conversation with Dante towards the end.

The 2003 writers were more talented than the average filler creator in other shonen
They also one upped arakawa in the homunculi, scar and lust's backstory and all that shit
Briggs was the downfall of the manga

Filtered zoomoids
2003 had soul
Brotherhood was a manufactured package made to sell manga

There was nothing remotely memorable about the main villain other than all her motivations were due to being a roastie. Flask man was flawed but he still had moments that outweighed anything Dante had ever done.

Attached: F06D7874-2F6F-4521-9F3F-FC164662A3BF.jpg (529x483, 27.49K)

ive only seen 03, tried watching brotherhood but the first episode already had homunculus and the lighting was so dark, it just put me off and i gave up
should i have continued it? ive heard its the best anime on MAL

>ive heard its the best anime on MAL
And SnK is right below it, MAL is overrun by reddit faggots and trannies who score series without barely watching. You can find several people there openly admitting watching stuff while doing other things (like working, playing games, watching other videos) and even literal speedwatchers that speed up the videos.

With that said, Brotherhood is a better adaptation than 2003, but 2003 is the better anime.

>And SnK is right below it
is snk bad? ive only seen the first season
>Brotherhood is a better adaptation than 2003, but 2003 is the better anime
not sure what this means

The last two seasons / part changed studios and are terrible 3DPDCGi garbage.
>not sure what this means
Brotherhood is closer to the manga, but 2003 is better made on a technical, literary, and visual level.

Huh? I don't remember this episode.

Dante and Father both fundamentally represent the same thing, that being a being who seeks to transcend the limits of what they currently are by using alchemy however they wish, no matter the cost to others. I think they really do fill a similar role, but I enjoy how Dante was characterized more. When I think of the Flask Dwarf all I see is a blob of raw envy and ambition, just hubris made manifest into some pitiful thing that will always yearn for more and will never be satisfied. When I think of Dante I think of a flawed mortal woman who began to think of herself as a god due to her intellect and talent, and saw her fellow man as nothing more than tools to be bent to her will and shepherded down a better path, as she saw them as too foolish and violent to survive without someone like her manipulating society from the shadows. I just feel like that's more interesting, personally.

I do think that the way Father connects to Hoenheim and his past is a bit more interesting than Hoenheim's connection to Dante, but honestly, neither backstory is very interesting to me. I don't prefer either relationship over the other, nor their connection to the Elric brothers in the modern day.

I also found the homunculi really uninteresting as a concept in Brotherhood/ manga, Greed aside. Them being Father's servants sucked, '03's idea of them being a manifestation of an alchemist's vanity, a product of failed human transmutations each with their own story behind their creation, is much more interesting to me.

Why would there be exactly seven then? I also thought the Mustang killing Winry's parents was stupid

They hated him because he spoke the truth.

Attached: Hughes punch.webm (720x540, 307.39K)

Exactly seven homunculi? They even say in
'03 that there's been other Lusts, Envys, Greeds, etc. They're sort of a pantheon, no idea why they theme themselves that way and to be honest '03's writers probably don't have a reason, they just ran out of source material that was going to link them back to Father. But how are they interesting as Father's discarded 'sins' anyhow? What does Brotherhood Lust really say about Father? She's just his mouthpiece. Gluttony is just his cleaner and a portal. Sloth is just a fixer. None of them are interesting, though Wrath and Greed are admittedly characterized in pretty fun ways in Brotherhood. Meanwhile '03's Wrath, Sloth, Lust, Envy, and Greed all came off very much as their own people to me, though Greed had way more screentime in Brotherhood and is equally good if not better there.

Based, agreed on all accounts. The funniest comment an FMA fan can throw out is that "'03 isn't even faithful to the manga, that's why Brotherhood is better." Nah, the '03 adaptation team wound up improving upon and expanding the themes of the source material until they had something even better on their hands.

I'm gonna say I like both of them equally for different reasons.

>Villain's name is Dante
>But why 7 sins
It's not a niche reference user.

She also refers to herself as humanity's Shepard and that her taking the failed human transmutations is akin to taking away humanity's sins.

She was apparently around when Christianity in their world was around doing witch trials, being referred to as a cult, so it's not just a random theme

>I maintain to this day that the producers were trying their damndest to transform a clear-cut shounen into a seinen
stop using those meaningless terms.

Yeah, but I don't know if they have that mythology in their world, since it's explicitly not the same history as our world. That's the only reason I phrased that all the way I did. If they have any similar myths or legends then yeah, makes sense. I similarly don't know if they have explicit Christianity there or just similar events, being a parallel world with our reality and all that. We see a brief flashback to a plague, sure, but it's not gone into in detail and there's been many of those throughout human history. We also know that Father Cornello simply came into town and claimed to be an apostle of the Sun God Lito, who already had a following and religion long before him, so if that's in any way a common religion in Amestris then it's possible Christianity never came to be on that side of the Gate.

>insofar
my brain immediately drops any attention given to people that unironically use this phrase.

Better luck next time, sweaty.

they tried to turn a basic monster of the week Saturday action show for kids into a story aimed at adults, was that simple enough for newfag-kun?