Why don't people care for arthouse and indie anime...

Why don't people care for arthouse and indie anime? The entire avant-garde scene is underwatched and underrated not just by Any Forums, but anime "fans" in general. There's an entire microcosm of young students and old directors that have been creating interesting boundary pushing stuff entirely separate from whatever the industry has been churning out for years and years. To all the pseuds who are tired of all the formulaic stuff yet still decide to stick around, why are you so inept that you never chose to seek out this scene? I find these shorts and music videos much more rewarding than the vast majority of series and films from an artistic and technical perspective. Anime today is way more creative and experimental than memeshit decades like the 80s and 90s.

Attached: mmob.png (1280x720, 818.01K)

Every medium has a massive number of outsiders making tons of stuff. Most of it is garbage and not many people are interested in taking the time to sift through it.

Because the scene is fucking impenetrable if you don't speak the language, dummy

i enjoy stuff like that and watch it, but its not as easy to get around as the mainstream stuff. i think not everyone wants to actively look for them.

also its just like with short and indie movies or underground comics. theres always a scene for indie stuff, and it will always be more creative/pushing because it doesnt have to care for income as much. making a business like you have to out of a creative medium will kill interesting things and make everything more mainstream smooth.

Attached: 252218.jpg (450x730, 100.1K)

Probably because arthouse and indie anime are barely promoted. They have almost no advertising budget, are usually not on streaming services, and typically don't have weekly release schedules to keep online discussion alive. In the case of music vids, YouTube's algorithm probably penalizes them for not being tied to major labels. A lot of stuff by young creators without ties to established studios is only screened at local film festivals, or hard to find online if you're not personally in touch with artists who tip you about names and search terms.

Most of that also applies to Western arthouse and indie animation, but anime has the language barrier on top of that, as says.

I watched The Diary of Tortov Roddle and Shitcom, of the two the latter was superior.
Anyway, after that I decided to stick to real anime.

I guess it just frustrates me that people think anime today is creatively bankrupt which I can somewhat understand, yet refuse to put in any effort to actually seek out the interesting things that are happening underneath. ON-GAKU for example was a stellar film, one of the best anime of the 10s period, that went unnoticed despite the years of hard work that went into it. Most anons also had no idea Cencoroll 2 came out. People want everything spoonfed to them in the form of charts or some shit man, it's sad.

Attached: cool.jpg (626x476, 80.43K)

>Why do niche, unadvertised/underadvertised titles have less viewers
Gee, a question for the ages

I don’t mean this is a derogatory way I swear, but are you young? Popular stuff isn’t popular because it’s everyone’s favorite, it’s popular because the largest number of people can vibe with it, and because it’s heavily advertised. Almost by definition, indie/arthouse works are not as accessible as the major pop productions, and this is true in every medium. They describe situations that are more uncommon or are sometimes incredibly personal, so it’s harder to people to identify with.

With those kinds of works, of COURSE the viewership is going to be limited. Works like that aren’t intended to be major box offices smashes from the get go.

It will probably serve you better if you try to introduce the stuff you want to see to people who might be interested rather than being upset people aren’t into it already. Consider how successful gekiga user was at introducing the genre to this board by doing regular storytimes.

You might also find some success with a smaller group dedicated to these kinds of works. I started a local manga club with a few friends who’s opinions I trust—we each pick something for a month, read it, and then discuss it when we meet up in person.

The moment these kinds of works find major financial success and popularity, it will be because they changed what they were to appeal to a wider group. That’s just the way things are.

And I mentioned this briefly, but advertisement is of course a major factor. People here absolutely DO explore niche titles, but when something isn’t a big popular title with ads and influencers guiding people to it, of course it’s less likely to be found. When people go out to explore on their own and find new things, they are not going to come up with the same titles, things are going to be more spread out. It’s just statistics at that point.

lmfao

OP thinks he's so le deep into the genre when he's just a faggot

I see it was a fools errand for me to expect the anime and manga board to know jackshit about anything at all. My mistake!

You getting assmad that indie anime is indie is kinda embarrassing desu

>why aren't more people consuming non-commercial *insert medium you want to talk about*?
Thata a fucking stupid question.
You sound like 14 year old, your post ia the equivalent of some retard posting "im 14 and I listen to this and no modern music" in a Pink Floyd video.
You're not special for watching "obscure" shit, piss off.

>anons complain that everything is sterile sameface moeblob shit with a million cliches
>tell people they don't have to watch that shit and can watch the interesting artsy stuff that they want
>anons get mad
why?

>tell people you're superior for watching stuff not a lot of people watch
>insist on how shit everything else is
>get told
>w-why are people like dis?
FTFY SENPAI

there's literally nothing wrong with being elitist

>why don't most people care about five minute shorts that half the time just live and die based on their artstyle
Come on, now.

Cencoroll 2 had a decade-long wait, so I think most people just stopped checking if it had come out. The first one was quite popular. Also, Ongaku was mediocre and if anything I think it's gotten far more praise than it deserves.

Not if you’re actually elite, no
Alas

more elite than some teenager patting himself on the back for watching his first dezaki, yes.

anime is literally mostly targeted at coomers. There is some demand for arthouse anime, that's why they make stuff like sonny boy, but I mean arthouse is a niche in any genre anyway, most people are just making artsy stuff as passion projects rather than "for demand"
There have been some very artsy oriented studios, founded by artists, stuff like studio 4C, mushi pro, madhouse was founded by artists and has done some pretty artsy stuff as well

yeah its a bit sad, but on the other hand i cant really blame them. people have no time/energy to invest in hobbies when they work fulltime and on top might even have kids or someone they have to take care of.

and not everyone who has the time is interested in more experimental stuff. and idk its not for everyone i guess. "artsy" movies and short films dont really get much crowd either its the same everywhere.

Attached: column.jpg (1024x768, 170.63K)

also i agree those were both awesome. i remember seeing some news about on-gaku at least but the other one nothing.

Attached: 39388212.jpg (1500x1125, 361.84K)

Okay, I know this is going to sound like I just want stuff spooonfed to me, but I genuinely don't even know where to start when it comes to this kind of stuff. If you guys could vaguely point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.