Hi Any Forumsutists, what do you think about the latest Hosoda movie? I was thinking about giving it a shot...

hi Any Forumsutists, what do you think about the latest Hosoda movie? I was thinking about giving it a shot, is it worth my time?. I wasn't super into Mirai no Mirai, but I generally like his stuff (that One Piece movie with all the Gainax animators was really good)

Attached: 2106224.jpg (1200x1600, 1.15M)

I'm pretty sure that shit worse than redo of healer.

Haven't seen it, but didn't really like the trailer

it was p good other than the beauty and the beast shit

what do you mean "beauty and the beast" shit? is this some sort of reimagining?

An oscar bait that failed.
Not so entertaining as Summer Wars
Not so iconic as Wolf children
Not so breaktaking as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Pretty shit. It had a few good scenes outside of the internet bullshit. But as a whole it is garbage.

it was absolute ass. I saw it in theatres and regret it.

It forces a Beauty and the Beast tale into another tale about online anonymity and our digital avatars, sacrificing A LOT from both stories so they feel incomplete and not thought out.

sounds like a shitty bait for zoomer girls

it was retarded

Any Forums hates it, which tells you all you need to know

Saw it two weeks ago in theaters. Great soundtrack, feeling the music was good. However, a bad aspect of the music is that there's usually only one climax with a very long build up and after that peak theres either a long ass build up to the next or there just isn't one making it hard to listen to it casually. Plot wise, he added way to much shit with no payoff. There is no mystery to who the beast is it just is revealed by the third act. Actions that completely ruin the suspension of disbelief in the third act. There are a lot of kind of funny one off jokes but even if they make for good clips they feel like filler and don't add anything in plot progress or themes. The side characters are meaningless, the love interest is absolutely worthless and is pure filler. The estranged father plays no role despite you thinking he should, the real villian is SAO Alfheim tier, the metaverse makes no sense as to how it work or what the culture is like. Summer wars was unironically better at exploring cyberspace. Overall, 7/10 it probably will have way more meaning if you lost a loved one or have abandonment issues, the music carries the whole thing.

Id say that the movie hits pretty hard for me. This shit is honestly pretty nostalgic for me in an odd way. Takes me back to a simpler internet where it was easy to act as someone else, and connect with fucks on small forums who larped as some video game/anime character and then ultimately opened up to you about the fucked up shit that they had to deal with in their lives. Seeing that specific experience be brought to life was a really nice surprise, and made the ending hit hard for me.
But this is Hosoda's most messiest movie I would have to say. Theres some structural issues on how it jumps around a lot in the beginning, and like said, Hosoda dosnt go into a lot of detail about specifics in the world, and its a detriment when one of your biggest characters(the Beast) main reason for being seen as a monster is that hes the best at a supposed fighting game section of U that we never actually get to see an example of and you just gotta accept it.
But the rest of the movie still works for me. Almost all the characters serve their purpose and are enjoyable, the comedy hits really well, his most visually appealing movie to date, music goes hard for either version that you listen to, and it has a lot of heart put into it, despite the mess pacing wise and world building wise. Id call it a personal favorite but for your average fag Id say its gonna be enjoyable romp at the very least.

Attached: 1596329892226.gif (500x371, 250.74K)

I just couldn't get over the metaverse shit. There's a charm to watching old movies like Tron and shit which have their own rendition of what immersive online experience would be like, but now we have vr chat and shit so Belle still showing a rendition more inline with the 80s idea is so fucking jarring.

It was fucking dogshit

Why did Hosoda fail to represent how the modern internet actually acts in the metaverse?

Attached: the_world_of_u.webm (900x450, 2.83M)

But he didn't make the One Piece movie with all the jiggly tits, he made the one before that.

Nice to see someone else amongst all the naysayers on Any Forums had a similar experience. There were some things in the execution of the movie that bothered me intellectually, but in the end it really connected with me emotionally not just because of the story or the music or the visuals (all of which I appreciated) but because its take on cyberspace took me back to a particular time in my life when the internet was a limitless space for play and knowledge, filled with nooks and crannies lovingly decorated by random people across the world just expressing themselves. U is admittedly a bit blander than that description as a necessary consequence of being truer to the modern internet, but for me it captures something of the feeling of freedom and weirdness of the early web, especially as relates to identity and the masks we wear online and in real life. There are many movies I would consider better in some sense of the word, but very few that hit me on such a personal level.

One thing I would say is that Hosoda is good at putting in brilliant little details, but not so good at connecting them into a cohesive thread. If you're a certain kind of autist that will drive you up the wall, but for me it can be both bad and good. Bad because it leads to lots of plot holes but good because it leaves space for interpretation. For instance I saw some people angry at what the fuck was up with the doxxing ray, but I had fun inventing the headcanon that Justin's sponsors were big tech companies that gave him the ability to doxx people using all the data they had collected in a flashy way because that would maximize "engagement". To each their own, I guess, but I tend to like works that are ambitious and experimental, even if they're messy failures, than those that are polished to perfection but only have the illusion of depth. Belle is a messy failure that spoke to me more than any "successful" movie I can remember seeing in a long time.

five star post

I tried watching it and it was fucking cringe. I couldnt stand 40 minutes of it and just skipped around to the end afterwards. And I liked summer wars, girl who jumped through time, and bakemono no ko.

It's dogshit