Pre-2000 anime

>"skip the last 2 Genocyber OVAs, they're complete shit and ruin the whole thing"
>they're great; in a bunch of ways like a better version of MD Geist 2
Glad I didn't listen to the internet!

Attached: img.jpg (1280x720, 122.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sakugabooru.com/post/show/173604
archive.wakarimasen.moe/_/search/text/"One day, I was leaving class late and she got there early"/
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj23kRLps70
youtube.com/watch?v=YZT6ad_sekY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The atmospheric direction & great color use from the original OVA come back (not to say the second arc was bad) and I love the idea of a massive time skip to a world where Genocyber's apocalyptic rampage is the stuff of legends, complete with murals & elaborate religious myths. It brings new meaning to Genocyber's violence and finishes off the Noah's Ark theme well.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x05 - The Legend of Ark de Grande II.mkv_snapshot_00.35.449.jpg (655x480, 56.73K)

I wish there was more of Kaiju-Genocyber rampaging, but what can ya do.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x05 - The Legend of Ark de Grande II.mkv_snapshot_20.37.313.jpg (655x480, 68.21K)

Meta Ridley???

Okay, I've just been informed the story of the final stretch is apparently pretty similar to Ohata's Cybernetics Guardian too, which I haven't seen yet but I want to.
Reminds me more of Syvalion or the communism dragon from Strider but really it's just the evil corporation's logo built into an actual weapon of mass destruction in outer space.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x05 - The Legend of Ark de Grande II.mkv_snapshot_22.34.903.jpg (655x480, 67.81K)

Is Genocyber good? I honestly haven't seen much of the edgy, ultra-violent old OVAs save for some Kawajiri stuff.

Robin Mask for me.
He defeated Ultraman.

Attached: Robin_Mask_(Anime).jpg (693x438, 68.8K)

It's hated these days but I really liked it. Not great if you're a "plot-first" type but not purely about "cool imagery" either. It's a really interesting and very bleak emotional journey; really more than just gore, though the gore is pretty good too.

Can you nitpick it from a "logic and reason" place? Sure. Was the main sisters' relationship not built upon enough? Sure. But it's a really unique and interesting ride with some of the highest production values applied to a violent actiony Ohata anime & uses it for some really great surrealistic imagery. Just put it on while ignoring internet opinions and you might enjoy it.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x01 - Birth of Genocyber.mkv_snapshot_11.42.641.jpg (655x480, 68.13K)

>some of the highest production values applied to a violent actiony Ohata anime
Sounds good enough to me.

Don't expect it to be Akira or Robot Carnival but it's definitely got more polish & motion than either MD Geist OVA. The use of live-action practical effects shots is great too and not overdone (though I wish it hadn't stopped after episode 1; I guess it just took too much time & money though).

Attached: Genocyber - 1x01 - Birth of Genocyber.mkv_snapshot_19.05.618.jpg (655x480, 34.03K)

What's been newly remastered recently?

M
I was really into JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure in middle school in 2014 when the David Pro Stardust Crusaders anime came out. I was always talking about Jonathan and DIO and stands and naturally no one had any idea what the fuck I was talking about, but because they wanted to be nice to me, the pretended to understand.
Me, being the dumbass kid, didn’t see this as an act of kindness but as an act of agression, like they were mocking me.
There was a really sweet and nice girl who I really liked because I felt like she was the only one who did nice things authentically despite me being an autist.
When high school rolled around, I decided that I was going to be more like Jotaro.
I started walking like JoJo, acting like JoJo, pretended to see stands in the hallways and shit.
One day, I was leaving class late and she got there early and she started talking to me about school and stuff.
I literally said fucking “yare yare daze” in front of her to make myself “sound cool”.
What the fuck was wrong with me?

Also, the awesome scene that made me want to watch this while skimming through it on Youtube eons ago. sakugabooru.com/post/show/173604
This feels too tryhardly written for the sole purpose of being a "funny meme copypasta" archive.wakarimasen.moe/_/search/text/"One day, I was leaving class late and she got there early"/ but I'm sure some Japanese kid did that in real life.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x01 - Birth of Genocyber.mkv_snapshot_40.05.315.jpg (655x480, 71.29K)

Bumping since I want more people to give this a shot in any context beyond "worst anime ever".

Attached: Genocyber - 1x05 - The Legend of Ark de Grande II.mkv_snapshot_01.24.719.jpg (655x480, 72.34K)

What pre-2000s thing that definitely exists do you want to properly released?
Just release Tomcat's Big Adventure already

I am starting to beleive that "old ovas had shlock writing" is a meme propped up by modern anime watchers who aren't used to subtle writing and want everything spelled out in long winded and loud monologues.
I watched Detonator Orgun which is rated very low on Mal and it genuinely had better writing than 90% of the supposedly good new anime that comes out like Pyscho Pass, Made in Abyss which are more deserving of the label shlock.

Not to mention it had wonderful direction and interesting cinematogophy, mise en scene...ect

Take another example of High school Battle Royal, fun action ova with amaizing animation and fun characters. Why is it rated so low? Beacause it does not try to explain the world or plot.
Modern anime fans are not used to this, they can't just drop blindly into a new world filled with exsisting characters and factions, we need to start with a clean slate, have a fresh protagonist and explain eveything from square one mostly through exposition.
They also hate monster of the week shows because everything needs to have, first act, second act, third act structure, constant plot twists and development, we can't just have fun interactions with existing chracters, we must move forward.

Attached: 257382-detonator-orgun-sega-cd-front-cover.jpg (800x761, 121.96K)

Sadly extending to Japan too these days with some comments I came across regarding Genocyber and King Gainer (the latter got more "wtf is going on" reactions after it was released for streaming on Amazon Prime; the DVD reviews were more positive). Though Genocyber doesn't seem to be hated overall there and in fact it got two interesting videos that seem to go pretty in-depth; I would love to see them translated, might even pay someone for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rj23kRLps70
youtube.com/watch?v=YZT6ad_sekY

Genocyber is really quite basic, and the stuff that's not explained doesn't really have to be; it keeps a level of mystery and the "wtf o_0;;;;" parts still make sense from an emotional and symbolic perspective.

Attached: Genocyber - 1x01 - Birth of Genocyber.mkv_snapshot_19.04.358.jpg (655x480, 39.9K)

king gainer suffers from Tomino writing. The ninja guy just casually mentions that he murdered the main character's parents, and nothing happened.

At least the womanising sniper got ridiculed at the end

I agree with you in general - but BRH really does have a lot of direct exposition (for an old anime). There is lots of people just awkwardly explaining to the audience what is going on. Itano just threw together everything cool because he had the best animators at D.A.S.T and wanted to show them off, that one is legitimately just an animation spectacle.

King Gainer was beloved when it aired - Hesei Tomino is really zany though, with the 80s stuff the issue just comes from people missing a ton of what actually happens most of the time, but after his shows get legitimately weird - I love them, but I get the reactions.

The real issue is that western anime fans online are all influenced by armchair youtube movie criticism and hyper fixate on plot minutia and easily accessible structure and basically forget that anime is animated and film, and can't look at a work according to what actually makes it - being a big ball of audio visual stimuli.

Attached: 5chan 00s pop.png (2597x3517, 3.92M)

What should have been done about it? Protag already dedicated himself to that side too much to back down, doesn't have to result in an epic showdown or whatever.

Nah I think the specific criticism of the start being too confusing is dumb. If anything I thought they kinda over-explained stuff; some of the exposition in the first 2 episodes was too on the nose.

You're right. Pay attention to when people on Any Forums try to "fix" a story, they always make it as obvious as possible. Dumb people just cannot pick up on abstractions, it's an IQ issue. Unfortunately, dumb people are the majority so the majority of people giving you a review are fucking morons.