Interview of a MAPPA's Animator for Attack on Titan

>The animator in question is named Dorian Coulon (@CoulonDorian), he's french

>He didn't study animation and is a freelancer

>He learned animation by himself in his room with YouTube tutorials

>MAPPA contacted him following an animation he posted on Twitter, MAPPA is actively looking for more animators via social networks.

>He was contacted by MAPPA and Studio Pierrot in February 2021 following his animation.

>Fun Fact: he didn't see the email from MAPPA until a month later, but he was still accepted

>He was contacted for Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi before MAPPA asked him if he wanted to work on AOT in May 2021.

>From the first mails, the animators receive the storyboard, the risks of a leak are high according to him.

>He animated episodes 5 and 8 and he animated the beginning of the rumbling. (youtu.be/Uwza8rHaPzw?t=46)

>He animates on Clip Studio Paint.

>He received the storyboard at the end of September 2021

>According to him, the mistreated employees at MAPPA is a rumor. MAPPA is the studio with the best hours according to him. And the studio is in no way tyrannical. (the hours are very wide and he could sleep well)

>The first 2D colossal titan we see took him 4 hours to draw (youtu.be/Uwza8rHaPzw?t=86)

>The rumbling will obviously be in CGI

>The Japanimation is badly paid, 3500€ the cut in Layout, 3500€ in Genga.

>If you want to start in Japanese animation, learn to animate and post your creations on Twitter with animation hashtags.

>S4P2 have 12 episodes

>He is now working on One Piece.

Attached: 190452599_108097498166980_1155761101445862783_n.jpg (1500x1500, 139.32K)

>According to him, the mistreated employees at MAPPA is a rumor. MAPPA is the studio with the best hours according to him. And the studio is in no way tyrannical. (the hours are very wide and he could sleep well)
I see they payed him extra fpr this

the only people who get mistreated are the directors who are managing the colossal projects

>He didn't study animation
It shows

you french faggot? or mappa shill

Is this what cope looks like?

ok dorian coulon, you can stop shilling mappa now

>>MAPPA contacted him following an animation he posted on Twitter, MAPPA is actively looking for more animators via social networks.
CSM is going to be shit confirmed

So glad he could speak for every single animator they've hired.
What a jackass.

>Getting to choose from top tier animators all over the world instead of relying on your shitty in-house staff means CSM will suck

They will probably only hire Japanese freelancers through Twitter as well, CSM's animation will end up goated.

And yet, it doesn't magically make what other former employees have said disappear
>"These animators work, because of how passionate they are, but these corporations abuses them, they receive an unacceptable paycheck and unhealthy work hours. Every week MAPPA delivers top animation, but this is the work behind it? This makes me so angry and sad at the same time."

I hope but all I can say for now is that the color palette they chose for it sucks ass

>"Mappa deserves worse than insults japans work environment is just unhealthy in general but mappa's is just on a whole another level 80% of the employees themselves have criticized mappa for their ridiculous work schedule and 50% of them have signed for resignation so stfu "

>MUH COLOOORRRSSS AAAAAIIIIEEEEEE

Attached: FIrCxP7WQAInKkD.jpg (1879x1080, 123.36K)

Attached: former-MAPPA-employee.png (622x584, 20.82K)

>top tier animators all over the world
This isn't true you know, and i hate academicism

>uses CSP
Garbage

There are tons of high skilled Japanese freelancers, the CSM director is even actively seeking out to these people, and every animator obviously wants to work on Chainsaw Man anyway. There is no reason to believe that there will be a shortage of skilled animators for the CSM project.

I'm not even saying this from the retarded "CSM is a colorful masterpiece look at all this paint!!!11 WOOAH is that green yellow and pink IN THE SAME PAGE?!!?!?!?" perspective
I mean that literally the color palette they chose is garbage and make everything look lifeless

Mushiyo gave good insight into MAPPA but this kinda shit is universal in not only the anime industry but Japanese work culture as a whole. Remember one of the Wonder Egg Priority episode directors ended up in hospital because of the ungodly schedule? You know how most Japanese businessman sleep in the office or on the street outside their office due to their 16hr+ work days? Vast majority of Japanese people don't know the meaning of work-life-balance. And before you start getting pissed, no I'm not excusing MAPPA for abysmal management, it's just an engrained issue that the studio is exploiting. It's mainly the fault of Japan's government and mentality that needs to change with policy and training first.

Surprised no one is talking about how Vinland S2 is going to be by MAPPA

>The Japanimation is badly paid, 3500€ the cut in Layout, 3500€ in Genga
Did he mentioned how many cut earn him this much? How many genga?

>According to him, the mistreated employees at MAPPA is a rumor. MAPPA is the studio with the best hours according to him. And the studio is in no way tyrannical.
Typical foreigner working in Japan thinking they know what it's really like to live/work there as a native...

just the episodes he worked on 5 and 8, no mention of cuts

Many were already aware of this for a while when Yabuta(director) was doing damage control on twitter that studios don't matter and it's the staff.
And people like Yuabuta, Abiru, and a couple of Vinland members being thrown into SnK production made it clear that Mappa is doing the 2nd season.
And as Yabuta said the core staff should be the same and as the season won't be much demanding there's no need to worry for major downgrades.