Oldschool anime is anything older than 10 years

There are people on this board that think k-on is a recent anime
Or that the new century just started recently
>Sports fans think the 7-1 victory (2014) happened lifetimes ago
>Film buffs think avatar (2010) is ancient history
>Music back when K-on came out sounded like this youtu.be/WXxV9g7lsFE
I get why people feel this way. For a studio creating more than 4 anime per year is considered insane; most directors will make 2-4 anime per decade.
Anime and manga production is such a slow thing that you can at most look at it through the lens of decades
But it's time to face the facts.
>We are 22 % done with the century
>We are 21.5% done with the decade
>People who were 10 years old when kill la kill aired can now post on Any Forums
>People who were old enough to post on Any Forums when K-on aired may already have kids in their early teens

Attached: K-ON OLDSKUL.jpg (1000x1426, 387.7K)

I'm not sure what your point is.

I used to like K-On but then I realized almost every other anime of its genre was better

TL;DR
This is a thread discussing time and anime
Questions to get the thread going
>Do you feel like time goes faster or slower for otaku
>Do you think this is a good thing?
>How old do you think something needs to be to be considered oldschool?
>What timeframes should anime be judged by (seasons, years, half a decade, decade, or eras like the japanese do)
>Have you felt a significant difference between heisei and reiwa anime?
>Do you have other hobbies where you feel like time moves much slower/ faster in?

Attached: ytbheadeer.jpg (576x488, 110.66K)

Contrarianism is an ugly trait.
K-on has great timing, direction, well animated, well drawn, well voiced, and has great audio work. Even if you do think there are many other great anime from the genre there is not a single reason to hate k-on.

K-On is the Seinfeld of the CGDCT genre

Nobody said anything about hate.

Not a single reason to like it either, and I don't hate it.
Ironically I find that it has very mediocre and uninteresting animation, it's not well-drawn as the character designs are very generic, the "audio work" is bad including the very shoddy voice acting and music and the direction is very unbalanced and boring which is the case with the studio that made it. What do you mean by timing?
I find a lot of anons who like K-On have limited knowledge of anime or are severely biased and I suspect that's the case with you.
It's probably one of the most overrated anime ever made, meanwhile the manga is pretty solid. It's for casual fans of anime though so it continues to be popular.

>>Sports fans think the 7-1 victory (2014) happened lifetimes ago
>>Film buffs think avatar (2010) is ancient history
This is what Gen Z believes, yes. The rest of us don't.

>>Do you feel like time goes faster or slower for otaku
I think anime has a much higher turnover rate than other hobbies. Most people have a short flirt with anime for 2-5 years before moving on.
This means that for the majority of fans there is no depth perception of anime history.
Everything older than those 2-5 years is ancient history by default - to these casuals.
For others, I think anime doesn't age very quickly at all.
>>How old do you think something needs to be to be considered oldschool?
Old enough to be recognized for being from different era just from the way it looks, rather than what you know about it specifically.
>>What timeframes should anime be judged by >>Have you felt a significant difference between heisei and reiwa anime?
I don't memorize Japanese emperors. But looking it up, I have to say No. I have not noticed a notable break in 2019. Of course developments happened over the course of heisei.
>>Do you have other hobbies where you feel like time moves much slower/ faster in?
I still play the same games as I did in 2000.

oldschool denotatively refers to the old way of being taught how to do things. Its not just anything beyond an arbitrary number of years

Gen Z according to boomers (2000 onwards) have been able to post on this website for 4 years
Gen Z according to millenials (1995 onwards) have been able to post on this website for 9 years.
You have been posting with zoomers for over a decade, mr 30 year old boomer.

Yes, and? That doesn't change the facts. I don't get the point you're trying to make (if there is any).

>Everything older than those 2-5 years is ancient history by default - to these casuals
This is absolutely false.
I would know
I am an autist who went around on the streets for years asking people what kind of anime they watched. Most people talk about 90s anime like it was yesterday.
Ask somebody for a fresh recommend and they will tell you bebop. Ask something for something old and they would say macross or akira.
I have seldom heard people say things from the late 00s and early 2010s being older works.
>Old enough to be recognized for being from different era just from the way it looks
That is fair, but wouldn't that make the dates even shorter? Anime really doesn't look like K-on geass, or even DXD anymore.
>Notable changes in the past 3 years
There have been more purely digital anime (drawn on tablet), and more anime that use those specialized vector lines to create a broken line look

Attached: Broken lines example.jpg (1280x720, 86.2K)

Sure, anime 3 decades ago looks super different, but anime 1 decade ago also looks different. There have been quite a few significant changes in approaches here and there.

Objectively speaking, considering the 1980s was already being called retro as early as the year 2000-2002, that would mean that, in the year 2022, K-On should be considered a retro anime.

This.

The 80s in 2002 ranged from 22 years ago to 13 years ago.
K-On today ranges from 13 years ago to 10 years ago.

Late 1980s stuff like Akira and Patlabor TV were literally referred to as retro in the early 2000s.

The latter half of the manga is solid and that's because it was influenced by the anime

I feel like someone is obliged to answer this user