Isekai

What is the appeal of this genre exactly?
I was shocked to find out there is an entire genre about being reincarnated as something else but retaining some information about your last life. Usually these things involve harems or like video game rules?
It just seems fucking lame. Why have a whole genre in which every story starts with "oh yeah I was this loser who died now I'm AWESOME ANIME SWORDSMAN"
Like what the fuck, just skip the reincarnation part and start at the beginning of the story. Why does it matter? Please someone explain this stupid genre so I can read Bastard without being annoyed at the fact it's an isekai
Pic unrelated

Attached: 1643881853727.gif (498x287, 1.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4-7u3C-y0Mo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 5176CB60-CFA4-4329-BB95-51BE718F5EBF.png (500x669, 87.74K)

Escapism.

But aren't all works of fiction escapism?
It's just so weird that this one particular plot setup formed an entire super genre

It is happening right now. It's has taken over in fact.
No more reincarnation, just fantasy but still the same tropes.

Leave them be
It's a low IQ entertainment for low IQ dogs

>It's just so weird
It’s not weird when you realize anime is just one big advertisement. Vidya market is much more huge and loaded with money they use every season to promote games, mostly mmo

You can even go as far as to say modern anime fans are so stupid they’re specing someone (badly written anime characters) watch games for them.

yes they are, but isekai is made primarily for self-inserts and it's a story everyone can relate to, well everyone on Any Forums at least. Loser gets run over by truck-kun, suddenly not an ugly bastard anymore, and gets a second chance at life instead of working on himself and learning to live with his mistakes.

it's really not that hard to understand why it's so popular, plus it's easy to write and there's an overabundance of it especially in webtoons.

>a story everyone can relate to
LMAO
Not everyone. Just the losers

There are few series where I wonder why is it isekai in the first place, but for the most part it's the power fantasy of being more powerful, more knowledgeable than the locals.
It's much easier to write fantasy story when you can skip few steps of world building and character development.

I like fantasy, and there is a dearth of good content. I pick up isekai to scratch the itch. Hate level mechanics and harems, but like seeing gobbos get killed.

For me its watching a character from a world I'm familiar with experiencing a new world most of the time its trash and they dont focus on the new world itself and focus on the character and his inevitable harem.

same appeal as most animes
power fantasy and escapism
the reincarnation part just makes it easier to self insert for the most

yeah, us

Isekai is not a genre.
>But aren't all works of fiction escapism?
No, and I don't get why people think they are. Myths aren't escapism. Fables aren't escapism. Picture story books for children aren't escapism.

Having the protagonist be new to the world means they are learning about the setting at the same time the audience is.

Maybe try improving yourself instead of wishing for cheats?

You ain't gonna learn shit from that crap

Makes sense I guess
I'm just not a fucking incel like that so I will never into this genre
Back to my baki thread :)

>What is the appeal of this genre exactly?
Wish fulfillment.

Your perception of isekai is too narrow.
youtube.com/watch?v=4-7u3C-y0Mo

>I'm just not a fucking incel
>Back to my baki thread :)
What did he mean by this, exactly?

So isekai is basically a sad genre for losers to self insert easily and safely into so they can pretend to be strong and fuck the girls? Jesus

>not an incel like that
Just an incel of another variety

I don't like Isekai though, I just get why it's popular.

I'm a loser, but I'm trying to better myself, all the mistakes that I've done will always gnaw away at me but that's okay, I guess that's also a way to repent

no, thats what anime is for you retard

do you consume media solely to learn something? you're not gonna learn shit from 90% of anime/manga but you can still enjoy it

Let's meet at the top, my nigga

Attached: my liege of african descent.jpg (1033x679, 168.19K)

>just found out about isekai
You're lucky newfriend

I'll be rooting for you brother

Attached: godspeed.jpg (813x885, 746.74K)

Sure, but dumb media is not 90% of what I consume

>is made primarily for self-inserts and it's a story everyone can relate to
And the other genres no? Don´t fool yourself.

I never said it was user

Well you can self-insert into any genre it's just easier to relate with isekai because it's so formulaic

Because it's a very common and exploitable "what if" scenario
Maybe it's a sort of reactionary unconscious movement against the 'chosen one' format by acknowledging and doubling down on it (he was chosen even BEFORE he was chosen) as a form of satire
It is of course trending too and anime must shit out its fill of cookie cut shows each season