Self-Insert MCs

When did this become the norm? "Powerfull literary device" my ass. Putting a blank slate character who is a "loser", but still powerfull and gets a harem is considered good writing nowadays? Why do people eat this shit up? Why do I sometimes eat this shit up without noticing?

Attached: MC Tier list.jpg (2046x3374, 1.37M)

Has there ever been a self-insert MC who knew people self-inserted into him or told audience to self-insert?

>When did this become the norm?
1969, when Doraemon started publishing.

best mc unironically

Attached: 294749.jpg (225x350, 18.77K)

Who is this and how isn't he a self-insert?

Shinji, by being the crybaby loser that most weebs would have been if they were inserted into his place

Maybe things have changed over time, but from what I read Meliodas was way too opaque and informed to treat like a self-insert MC. He comes across more like a secretive mentor who inexplicably got main story focus.

You actually think OP has watched any of the anime in that pic?

Plenty of people on Any Forums have clearly watched things aimed at small children and somehow managed not to understand anything. Perhaps OP is extravagantly stupid.

Attached: nature's other other pocket.gif (540x360, 1.98M)

I didn't make picrel so getting hanged up on it, is the stupid thing to do. Meliodas may not fit the description to the t, but there are plenty of characters on there that do. Also, being OP doesn't exclude a character from being a self insert

have you never heard of a John Everyman?

he's respectful to others, can talk normally to people including girls, fits in his enviroment well, has a good insight, doesn't sperg out, doesn't wallow in self-pity therefore anime fans can't self-insert into him, because those who created him didn't give him a feature or two that are in common with bad features of losers that watch anime

How else pathetic otakus are suppose to project themselves? I can't relate.
Fucking self inserting is a mental illness.
I only watch all-girl cast shows.

Posting a pic that has nothing to do with your question is the stupid thing to do. You would know this if you weren't stupid.
And given how broadly (and arguably incorrectly) it's applied these days, it's been the norm forever.

Stop watching shit anime. I barely recognize 5 of these fags because I don't waste my time watching retarded harem and isekai shit.

What are the two white out ones?

Being stupid isn't a bad thing though

Not even stupid people believe that.

How would you know?

What’s a "Bullshit tier" MC exactly?

I don't buy the blank slate is self insert argument. Blank slates are the worst for self inserting. What you call "overrated" are rated just right, a strong personality that makes some section of the population go that's literally me is the closest you'll get

Any character that's a self-insert for young teenage boys, or is annoying beyond typical anime levels.

At least the "Overrated shit main character" tier has characters that move the story along, or provide genuine input to the plot from who we could assume to be the author.

Bullshit tier mc's have zero redeeming qualities.