The original Dragon Ball manga came out in 1984

>The original Dragon Ball manga came out in 1984.

How is Dragon Ball still popular and relevant even 35 years later?

Attached: 1643868478480.jpg (1024x1002, 136.03K)

ask the lumfags considering they're older and just as relevant without a million reboots keeping them in the public consciousness

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. The real question is if their popularity has grown with a new audience. Have they gained new fans from kids who grew up watching Super?

They probably have, but unlike z the villains are nowhere near as iconic so its probably not that popular.

They keep making new entries. And people new to anime keep coming into the fanbase.

UY is nowhere as popular as DB
>without reboots
user, I...

I meant beforehand, it's not like it was irrelevant in Japan before the reboot was announced. Since 91 it had only one OVA and still managed to be pretty popular in Japan and Europe.

Idk.

Attached: 842353.jpg (1417x2097, 703.89K)

I personally know of at least one kid who got into dragon ball with super

You're probably not old enough to remember but Dragonball went through the phase of being extremely unpopular and unfashionable circa 2000. Basically discussed in the way Naruto is now - a few die-hard fans, a few people who love it for being a bit shit, but mostly getting constantly ripped on. I remember Toriyama's World being pressured to change their uncool name. And then gradually people stopped being angry contrarians and it became cool to like it in the full knowledge that it's goofy and often boring. The same will eventually happen to Naruto.

>>but Dragonball went through the phase of being extremely unpopular and unfashionable circa 2000

>headcanon that never happened

It was constantly getting new content.

>and often boring.
Series unrelated?

I don't think that ever happened. Naruto was never good and will never have the legacy of dragonball.

It did happen though. Pretty sure searching old forums will corroborate this. Would be a very weird thing to make up.
>Series unrelated?
Dragonball is famous for chapters and chapters / episodes and episodes of little but yelling and powering up. Of course, whether that is boring is subjective.
I much prefer Dragonball. But time will tell whether the current prevalent opinions will remain.

it's effects on our culture are still really strong, I know kids that are aware of scenes from dragon ball Z kai. I think gohan vs cell is a classic that will stay for the ages

>It did happen though.
Constantly getting new games that are fondly remembered to this day proves you wrong. Old forums were also very active about DB, if you lived in these days you would know.

>Dragonball is famous for chapters and chapters / episodes and episodes of little but yelling and powering up
Never happened in the manga. In the anime it was HYPE as hell.

Naruto is a good series, cope.

>Constantly getting new games that are fondly remembered to this day proves you wrong
I'm talking about 1998-2005ish. Besides, new games getting released has very little to do with whether a property is widely mocked online.
>In the anime it was HYPE as hell.
Oh I'm talking with a deluded fanboy, my bad

It has become a classic. If you get into anime and manga there's no way you don't learn about it, and back then it introduced original concepts and ideas that make it enjoyable and interesting even today. It aged like wine.

It's a simple, yet effective story where you follow a 12 years old boy until he is over his 40's.
Charadesign and choregraphy are godlike.
It also references tons and tons of shit (alien, starwars, journey into the west, pulp, silly martial art movies..).
The anime also had godlike OST.

>It did happen though
Then only in the US. DB always has been huge in Japan and Europe.

>1998-2005
Oh, you mean that era when the Budokai and the Tenkaichi aired and were (and still are) beloved by fans ?

I think you massively overestimate how important and impactful video games are on an anime's fanbase

Nothing else capture the imaginations of low-IQ fightfags like Dragon Ball, and they are an enormous population