Is Utena a gnostic anime?

Is Utena a gnostic anime?

Attached: 81bioVrGikL._RI_.jpg (2560x1920, 353.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UjcH1s3AJwc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is Utena the most overrated art hoe garbage of all time?

I really need to watch it at some point. People have been comparing Revue Starlight to this one and since I love Revue I'll probably enjoy this too.

Attached: Karen and hikari.jpg (1920x1080, 498.62K)

reminder that the subtitles for utena are notoriously bad and people who praise it have been essentially watching fanfiction for the past three decades.

It's very different thematically, but it has similar style and presentation. Heavy metaphor and surrealism, but less meta.

I'd say it holds up well. The middle can be confusing in its symbolism, but the ending spells out what's going on there pretty clearly.

Plus
>tall athletic tomboy
>also has long flowing pink hair
They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Attached: revuebingo.png (1280x1462, 2.49M)

reminder that Nanami is the best girl regardless.

Attached: 06. Revolutionary Girl Utena [BD 720p Hi10P 5.1 AAC dual-audio][kuchikirukia]v2[00:16:35]001.png (960x720, 1.05M)

I've only ever watched Utena muted and with the subtitles turned off.

Whatever you say, JOP-dono

Attached: Chiri tired.jpg (240x240, 16.16K)

No

bros... I love her so much

Attached: tsuwabuki and nanami.jpg (960x2157, 646.6K)

going from Revue to Utena is weird because you really see how much of Ikuhura is in Revue, specially the duels. As a revufag, I'd say Utena is a better narrative and more "artistic" but it isn't as enjoyable. Utena can also get intense, intense in a way that I didn't expect anime could get, specially nearing the end with Anthy and Utena

It's also the only anime I've watched where I had to do a rewatch of the episode immediately after finishing it, because there's so much abstract symbolism that it's impossible to understand anything below the surface-level unless you do rewatches

This here is a cargo cult anime. Specifically, a cargo cult imitation of “symbolic” and “deep” anime. You might believe this show actually means something - if you’re a character in The Emperor’s New Clothes, or maybe a literature teacher operating on a “blue curtains symbolize the protagonist’s inner turmoil” logic. But it doesn’t. It’s just a bunch of random flashy crap thrown in together to imitate other works that have real symbolism in them - 2deep4you bait. This show is personally insulting to me as someone who actually likes entertainment that can be broadly defined as Art House, because it validates the opinion that “Art House” is nothing but pretentious pseudo-deep wankery putting on airs to distract from its creative bankruptcy.
fucking stock footage. Welcome to 1970s, where anime are piss-poor children’s cartoon that have up to 25% of the episode taken up by the reused footage of some transformation sequence because they literally don't have money to draw more scenes. Except in this case, money is not the problem, lack of talent is. Again, “creative bankruptcy” is the only adequate description. And the fact that some people go through mental gymnastics to somehow defend the practice of literally copypasting already existing material as some sort of “style” is just pathetic. I guess every recap episode ever was the true pinnacle of the art of animation all along.

I miss the ojou-sama archetype, Nanami was my favorite depiction of them. Such an enjoyable character to watch

I’m getting really tired of you faggots lusting for my lovely Nanami in these threads. Nanami will marry me and that will be the end of it, you can have Wakaba

my friend... we do not need to fight.

Attached: nanami.jpg (1400x1000, 753.8K)

I think we do, I’ll duel you for her

Attached: Do it for Nanami.jpg (1280x914, 121.35K)

>how much of Ikuhura is in Revue
Furukawa worked as Assistant Director on Penguindrum and Yurikuma, and it shows.
>Utena is a better narrative
Yeah, Utena's surface story primarily narrative driven while Starlight's is more character driven and almost slice-of-life. Both of them ultimately use that to say something else, but that's the style.
>but it isn't as enjoyable
I'd put it down to just how much of the footage and choreography is reused, which means the duels aren't quite as visually interesting, plus the choral pieces aren't most people's idea of enjoyable music.

She murdered a cat. what is wrong with both of you

Stop being gay, utena is practically a man

Utena tries hard to make viewers believe it's serious business, but it's actually just repetetive, boring and shallow. Too much shallow pretentiousness. The only remarkable thing about it is the music.

Attached: Arisu sad at hating things.jpg (1800x1578, 627.71K)

>Utena tries hard to make viewers believe it's serious business
youtube.com/watch?v=UjcH1s3AJwc

Utena is based pleb.

A Wakaba is fine too.

You didn't find it as enjoyable? I thought Utena was incredibly fun. It's packed with the type of cinematic tricks that keep things lighthearted and interesting despite the dramatic developments underneath. Stuff like council meetings taking place in the middle of a baseball game and props like railroad crossing barriers appearing just for the sake of complimenting the scene made it incredibly fun. I also think Juri's first focused ep was one of the most rewarding episodes I've seen - it sets up an engaging storyline that reveals just enough for you to come to your own conclusion, then delivers on both the surface narrative - Utena as a better Juri - and the deeper narrative surrounding Juri's nuances, at the same time all the while playing with you as if it knows you figured out the secret but isn't going to outright tell you until the end, so along the way it just winks at you. God I've watched it so many times and it still makes me feel so invested

Picked the fuck up 100 times over. What's that donna donna song? It sounds familiar for some reason. I'm feeling deja vu.

the last time i enjoyed being on Any Forums was rewatching the stream together for utena's 20th anniversary

Attached: Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 [BD 1080p HEVC 10-bit AAC][00:14:47]001.png (1437x1080, 1021.08K)