This archetype actually doesn't exist and only exists in the minds of teenagers who want to make themselves look mature...

This archetype actually doesn't exist and only exists in the minds of teenagers who want to make themselves look mature by shitting on a boogeyman of a person trying to make themselves look mature.
the person who popularized this boogeyman is ironically the most juvenile person on the internet and is loved by equally juvenile people.

To give a music analogy, listening to Pink Floyd as a 13 year old means you are wise beyond your years and will probably go on to develop great taste in music. similarly watching ozu films as a 15 year old is a good thing meanwhile most of your peers will probably go on watching marvel films and listening to rap into their late 20s and will probably never develop good taste in anything.

Bringing this back to anime. In plain terms I respect a 13 year old who watches Ashita no Joe to partly look cool more than I respect a 20 year old who watches seasonal anime exclusively, the latter is most definitley an npc, the first has a chance of not being an npc

Attached: ea0fd77ea44b443bcb7d5cb439a566d7fbf2df7946efdd383085f5ab17eee48a_1-1.jpg (1080x882, 754.16K)

I'm trans btw

seems like it hit a nerve

texhnolyze is actually pretty good desu

my favorite anime is dragon ball z

cool story bro

That's a lot of words for a simple cope. Good luck with your English class tho

literally me

Attached: 1630803561019.png (918x560, 407.4K)

The 16yo part is a joke retard, but the archetype exists. It's the kind of people that, because they either haven't seen enough or haven't developed their own taste (or critical thinking) they imagine that set to be the endgame of anime or close to it. It's like they want to reject mainstream anime but then follow the (nearly as) mainstream opinion on what "the classics" are. In any case being this triggered by a shitposting image is your own problem.

>but then follow the (nearly as) mainstream opinion on what "the classics" are
anime doesn't have a very good output
even film is pretty shit too despite being around a good few decades longer

Says more about someone than it does you, when they try to make fun of you for liking something like Akira, Space Cobra, Lupin, etc. the whole meme is self projection. the person who created the image was the 16 year old struggling in english class.

This archetype exists. I was that archetype when I was 16.

It basically is the endgame of anime in general though. I can't think of anything 'great' that isn't covered by that list that also isn't basically derivative of and inferior to works by some author/director shown here.

There are some cool things not shown here like the directors cut opening to the first Pokemon movie, but this covers a great deal of the best that are also 'complete works' (as opposed to random standout episodes of otherwise mediocre shows).

I'm assuming that Miyazaki is deliberately being omitted here to demonstrate the 'edginess' of the taste displayed

This. Liking AnJ is great and all, but the actual critical thinker who has experience with the medium will have several other late 60s/early 70s gekiga sports anime that aren't as well known that they like as well.

I can think of dozens.

this is what is known as being a dilettante and it's not something to take pride in. it's like the equivalent of reading books and only sticking to the canon. even more funny considering an anime canon doesn't even exist, and even if there was one to be made a bulk of the stuff in that image wouldn't apply.

You seem to put a lot of concern into how anonymous people on the internet perceive you. Maybe just shut up and go enjoy some anime/manga?

Attached: 1643293555530.gif (500x570, 464.7K)

Yeah, Haruhi, Azumanga Daioh. Tenchi Muyo, Genmai Taisen, the second Yamato film, the G999 film, Kyojin no Hoshi, and a ton of other things that most westerners either dismiss or have never even watched are significantly more important for how anime actually developed and what inspired creators going forward than Satoshi Kon films or Diebuster. This is just "this is what other people online have told me is good and important".

I'm not at all claiming that these are the only 'good' anime, simply that it covers a great deal of the actual best of it.

For instance, I really enjoyed the anime of Soul Eater and consider that to be the best overall shounen series. But at the same time I wouldn't put it in the upper echelon of anime.

On the other hand, mahou shoujo has tons of legitimate gems that few westerners bother with, but the very best of them, and my favorite anime of all time, is Sailor Moon, and that's covered by the chart having Ikuhara on it.

Just watch whatever the fuck you want why would you care how other perceive you?

Damn, your top 10 series must all be listed here.

Why are people so obsessed with their favorite media being seen as influential classic masterpieces? Is it just so they feel validated about their opinions?

Ask the chensobabbies

People in their 20's and 30's who watch anime are deeply insecure that they watch kids cartoons so instead of just accepting that they enjoy them cause they are fun, they try to watch series that are "deep" and "mature" so they can feel better about themselves.

Reducing Takahata to Omoide Poroporo, Tomino to Turn A and Ishiguro to LoGH is absolute nonsense.
You're also missing big stuff like Candy Candy, works from Ginsaburo Sugii and Eiichi Yamamoto, old Toei, many notable mecha shows, and lots of films. Not to mention shorts. And again that's just the well known stuff.
Meanwhile you have derivative shit along with genuine trash like Robot Carnival and Neo Tokyo, Devilman Crybaby, etc. Basically a third or more of what's there doesn't belong.
It can't be taken seriously by any stretch.

When you're a teenager liking things because you think you're supposed to because they're cool or liking something because you just like it (examples, teenager that likes to listen to jazz because he thinks it makes him seem intelligent vs teenager that likes to listen to Limp Bizkit because he wants to do it all for the nookie) are both fine. The important thing is to eventually realize you can do whatever you want and you should because you are owned by corporations that just let you have a little taste of fun. If you make fun of guys that listen to Taylor Swift when you're nineteen because all her lyrics are vapid and you're smart and your favorite band is Joy Division and then you hear one of her songs when you're twenty-five and you like it who cares Ian Curtis is a rapist anyway.

it's like wanting to enjoy the purest of water, or the ripest of wine. Some people won't settle for something derivative or diluted. You only have a short time on earth, so why waste your time on shallow media?