Revue Starlight The Movie (2021)

>Has some of the best musical number of any anime.
>Proves itself to be the Revolutionary Girl Utena of the Love Live genre with its layered symbolism
>Best anime movie of 2021, better than Shin Eva
>Ctrl + F "revue"
>No results
Well, let's fix that

Attached: revstarmovie.jpg (900x1282, 272.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dZvAinkwj2U?t=403
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The movie made me really like Karen.

Attached: 1643127172019.jpg (1920x1080, 705.69K)

sexy pantsu

Maybe if you weren't late on boarding the train you'd be on the next station like the rest of us.

the revue movie has some really pretty looking posters. Anyone know where to get high quality images of it so I can make my own? Also Claudine best girl

the game revealed that Claudine knew about Maya when the two were just kids cause she kept hearing about her in the auditions.

Would be interesting if that's why Maya said in one of the OVA episodes that she wasn't unused to being passed over for roles

why does love live get a genre when it was released like a decade after idols were popularized and not nearly the most popular
and why is revue being lumped with it

OP probably just forgot that Musicals were a thing, and it can also even apply to anime, because that's the closest way you can describe Revue.

karen sex

OP is already dead.

>>Best anime movie of 2021, better than Shin Eva
Nah, not a fan of the structure and the re-writing of Karen in the flashbacks (series Karen had a completely different personality). Great film tho.

There's a lot of difference between middle school and 2nd year Karen. I always felt that somewhere between those two points, Karen lost the brilliance and potential she had, which is why she was always shown as dead last in the pre-Hikari revues of Nana's loops.

Without the context though, I'd agree that they're two different characters sharing the same skin

we had constant threads for days after the movie released

Attached: [Veggie Sub] Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Movie.mkv_snapshot_01.51.32_[2021.12.30_19.25.16].jpg (1920x1080, 220.89K)

I was honestly somewhat disappointed in the movie.
The show was better.

what tripped you up? I'm a serious revuefag so obviously biased, but it's still a really good way to top off the series if you liked it

Attached: disgusted nana.jpg (2047x1352, 217.34K)

I loved the movie but the revue songs weren't that great to me.

Attached: [Veggie Sub] Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Movie.mkv_[01.42.02]_03.png (1920x1080, 2.15M)

I think the revues themselves weren't as interesting this time around, maybe it was because they had lost their mystique after the first season. But they also felt a lot more inconsequential, and that they didn't really do much, they felt more like a bone throwing to the people that liked those character than something actually substantial. I also think that Karen mostly only being in it through flashbacks really hampers the climax. Because we do not really get a good enough feel of her character after the show for it to matter too much to me.

I've mentioned this in previous threads before when the movie came out, and at the risk of sounding pretentious, but I feel that the Revue Movie in particular is one of those shows that you can "watch wrong." In my rewatches, I felt that watching Revue as a standard "show with a plot" is going about it the wrong way.

I think you have to watch it and focus on the meta aspect of the movie, and look at the framing device of the show where it's presented almost like it's a stage play, complete with 4th wall breaks and acknowledgements of the relationship between viewer and performer. The last bit in particular is obvious of course, what with karen-hikari and the giraffe stand-in already directly addressing us, but when viewed through that lens, I feel that it makes sense for the revues to happen.

Of course the revues we want, Futaba-Kaoruko, Mahiru-Karen, Junna-Nana, Claudine-Maya, would happen because it's what we want to happen. The character development, plot progression is secondary to the enjoyment of the audience and the meta-narrative going on in the foreground

Watched the series and the film (and then again another 2 times) since the last thread so I've been waiting for new thread. That film is fucking amazing, I'm kind of blown away at how well directed the film is, not just in terms of the crazy visuals and how the music is utilised, it's also just a really tight film where each shot flows naturally into the next. And for how many different genres and tones it goes for during the widescreen baroques I felt it really nailed them all. The only problem I had with it is that there was too many or too long flashbacks, I think one or two could have been omitted or shortened and still conveyed the same information.
I read back through all the other threads and I noticed a lot of people didn't really like the final revue as much as the others. I felt the same way at first but after rewatching the film I've done a complete 180 on it and it's one of my favourites now. It's kind of a best case scenario for what they could've done with a character like Karen. Her whole life was dedicated to working towards a single goal with her classic protagonist one track mind, and then the film asks "what comes next?". Achieving your dreams and what follows isn't something that's touched upon all that often so I thought it was interesting to see it done here.
Also the moment at the climax of the film, when Karen finally says "I don't want to lose you to either!" and then youtu.be/dZvAinkwj2U?t=403 starts playing and picrel happens, I got teary. Karen finally decides she wants to stand on the stage for herself and not just for Hikari, I'm so proud of her and I totally came around on her seeing as she was my least favourite character from the series.

Attached: revuestarlightmovie27.jpg (1920x1080, 318.72K)

Oh and I forgot to mention about the meta stuff since I saw people discussing it in the archived threads, but I actually prefer to take the film in a non meta way.
So I disagree with I don't think viewing it as meta is the "correct" way to watch the film because I personally get a lot more out of from taking things as being diagetic or metaphorical. Though of course I don't blindly avert my eyes from all the meta shit in the film because there's a lot lol

Literally the best film to ever come out in recent years, nothing came even close. Truly the End of Evangelion of the new generation, while also borrowing the best parts of the Madoka Rebellion Movie and the TTGL finale. Shit will be timeless, a cult classic in the making

the biggest thing that stands out about Hikari-Karen is that it's less of a spectacle compared to the others. While the others' revues were full of fanservice and high-octane action, Karen and Hikari's more metaphorical revue felt like a deliberate "fuck you" to the audience, as if showing they weren't bound to our whims anymore, and instead doing the revue for their own sake.

I know you disagree since we're viewing it through different lenses, but that's how I saw the dissonance of style between the revues.

Would anybody be willing to host a live stream? This seems like a great movie to do a watchalong for and it's been long enough since the subs came out that a rewatch would be good

>Of course the revues we want, Futaba-Kaoruko, Mahiru-Karen, Junna-Nana, Claudine-Maya, would happen because it's what we want to happen.
Maybe that's part of the problem for me. I did not care for these during the show, so when the movie, with even more limited time, dedicate time to these because it is what the fans want it falls even flatter.

>fuck you to the audience
even if you're viewing it from a meta perspective it isn't that

Attached: 1642172475500.jpg (743x996, 171.63K)