Why are dubs so cringe? Most of the time the VAs don't seem to care about their performance and it sounds flat

Why are dubs so cringe? Most of the time the VAs don't seem to care about their performance and it sounds flat.
Japanese VAs have a lot more energy. Is it a cultural thing? Or do western VAs simply not care about their performance?

Attached: 1616324415620.gif (500x373, 1019.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bTmhTXjhqnw&list=PLoPHg54LaRJX3JUTmNXmR5Ugl36QtloiX&index=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My guess is they usually hire bottom of the barrel VAs for dubs since they don't generate that much revenue. The reason I think this is because there's plenty of strong western VA talent as evidenced by our local media

JP will watch shows for the voice actors. Westerners just want it to be serviceable. It's a cultural thing

If that's the case then its a self sustaining cycle. Which is a real shame.

Serviceable doesn't mean enjoyable though. It's a frustrating problem.

Sometimes the voice actors are shit, but I would say the main problem is it is churned out by getting people cold reading scripts in as short a time as possible in combination with said scripts rarely being localized by a good writer and keeping the stilted direct translation.

In JP they do less cold reading and give actors a bit more time per session. One infamous example is all of ES:Oblivion being recorded in a day or two.

Doesn't have to be enjoyable. For some people having it in English and not reading subs is reason enough

Golden Boy has a a great dub, if only because they said "fuck it" and went over the top with perfect ad-libing and being really into it.

Never will understand dubfags. Why do you want your magical girls from Tokyo to sound like Californian valley girls, exactly?

This isn’t an anime-specific thing, dubs in all languages are generally bad. Expressions, jokes and accents never translate well; on top of that, voice actors in the native language have the advantage of getting to voice the characters before the whole thing is animated. It’s a lot harder to voice something when you have to match the mouth movements on-screen as opposed to being able to read the script freely.

JP Kintaro doesn't even sound like a young dude, it's bizarre

To add onto this: Japanese dubs of western cartoons are pretty shit.

Maybe in the not too distant future neural networks will be used to lip sync animations.

100% this. Anyone who thinks that bad dubs are due to shitty voice actors or the VAs not caring is a fucking retard.

Top English dub for me besides Golden Boy is Cyber City Oedo 808.

English dub with Japanese music is the best.

It is so over the top with cursing, but you could never scorn it because the voice actors are clearly enjoying themselves.

Top marks for the guy who played this character.

Attached: 771480.jpg (1374x924, 85.82K)

Honestly I've sometimes been annoyed by how loud and expressive and how much yelling is in the JP original audio, it's hard for dubs to match that energy without sounding cringe

i would assume it's a combination of low budget and the problem of trying match english speech to japanese speech animation. consider the famous example of the speed racer dub, or every anime where the dub actors have to make groaning noises that sound fucking weird in english to match natural japanese interjections

> Or do western VAs simply not care about their performance?
It can’t truly be this. There are many many vidyas where the voice acting is fantastic. It most likely is or just the fact that there is no money to be made from dubbing anime

All I watch anymore is dubs.
Fuck all that reading.
seethe about eternal weeb.

Okay I've seen dozens of threads like this already but okay. What even is there to discuss on the topic at this point.
Here's a decent English dub that really fits the manga well
youtube.com/watch?v=bTmhTXjhqnw&list=PLoPHg54LaRJX3JUTmNXmR5Ugl36QtloiX&index=2

English dubs were unironically good in the 2000s. They went to shit in the early 2010s and haven't got good ever since, yeah

I don't think you can even compare English dubs to Japanese dubs because. Like, the languages are super different.
Overall Japanese dubs TEND to be more emotional and catchy, yeah. But if I had to guess, imo that's a more cultural thing since the whole otaku thing acts as a vent for emotional stuff since irl Japan people are not allowed to show their emotions in public.

Attached: jing.jpg (336x500, 59.9K)

What the fuck is with that artstyle? The manga version of this story had Jing looking way younger it's also missing the girl getting drunk off the bags and falling out of her top when calling out for him

>But if I had to guess, imo that's a more cultural thing since the whole otaku thing acts as a vent for emotional stuff since irl Japan people are not allowed to show their emotions in public.
I thought that is everywhere. I guess it's not anymore?

Here is some of the most common problems/ discussion points and criticisms against dubs
>different rooms and mics so audio quality is always inconsistent
>Recording alone instead of together, they are not really acting, they are just reading lines
>Localized monopolies, no incentive to be better
>Terrible translations that don't match the pacing, doesn't translate in a way that will make it better in english, and on top of it, adds their own quips at the expense of the context.
If you saw a sub translation in a book you would sue the localizers, but since anime has a nerd culture vibe in the west standards are non existent.
>Western voice acting has primarily been about making silly voices while voice acting has been a serious profession for almost 100 years, and you are expected to have finished school for it.
>Western voice actors are often just insane nerds that want to be an anime hero, villain, or princess. You'd get the kind of kids who would go to drama club and would overact everything
>This has the bonus effect of dub english being not real english. It's english with japanese mannerisms. It is really weird and doesn't sound natural at all
>Some of the voice actors in anime hate anime. Not sure if they got there because they had friends here and there or because of the cash, but a lot of them actively shittalk anime at cons
>A lot of them are very vocal on social media, anti piracy, anti fan, twitter cancer and extremely vocal about their opinions, no professionalism...
>dubbing community is a prideful echo chamber. They believe they are better than ever through positive feedback loops despite getting worse and worse over the years.
Sadly, There is no real fix outside of getting fresh blood in, and there is no guarantee that won't be corrupted.

Attached: 1642795650363.jpg (132x124, 3.48K)

>dub thread
Fuck off, nigger.

YuichiKumakura's artstyle is (or rather was since apparently he doesn't do manga anymore according to the JP Wiki) inconsistent, kinda like Hiro Mashima.
In the beginning the Jing manga looked like some weird mix of DBZ and Pokemon by the end it started looking more influenced by the anime adapatation artstyle and overall Jing started looking more like Sasuke.

>anti priacy
There are people like that?

Animated movies will hire celebrity VAs though, Disney, Pixar do it all the time