Is Sword Art Online an Isekai?

Let's settle the debate once and for all.

Attached: SwordArtOnlinePoster.jpg (685x1024, 148.8K)

for me its Lisbeth

Attached: Liz.jpg (728x413, 72.6K)

No, it isn't. But retards will be retards and keep having this argument until the end of time, and you're a retard too if you think one thread can settle anything.

Asuna loves Suguha

Attached: de4i5n0-305adc37-b020-451f-b248-01d935502ab9.jpg (1038x1500, 284.84K)

Not really no, VRMMORPG stories are their own separated genre at this point. Alicization could probably be argued though (although even then I disagree).
Some quick japanese googling shows that japanese audience's also don't consider it to be Isekai because it takes place in near-future japan

SAO had always just been a survival series. Like BTOOM! or Cage of Eden. People seem to have forgotten that the second half of the 2000s was filled to the brim with those or are just too young to know. But wasn't it popular in the West at the time as well? I didn't watch nor read it but I remember "hunger games" and such shit was popular around that time, too.

Attached: BTOOM!.jpg (1600x1200, 327.14K)

Not really no. At most it shares some of the same tropes. Most of the story doesn't even take place in another world. They're just playing games and leave to do stuff IRL fairly frequently.

SAO was also part of the trapped in a vr game stories that were common in the early 00s like .Hack, one detective conan movie, the two virtual worlds arcs in yugioh and several episodes in western tv.

Attached: yugioh_trapped_in_a_game.jpg (304x228, 17.6K)

Forget to add that it SAO was written in 2001 or 2002 around that time when these kind of stories were popular.

>video game
>isekai
Really, what's the difference?

The web novel was released in 2001 yep.

Isn't he like VR police?

I said that it was written in 2001 or 2002 because many people claim that it was just a rip-off of .Hack and I said that the premise of both series were just common around that time and that SAO is clearly not a rip-off of .Hack.

Alicization imho

there is a kai that is ise to the one the protagonist calls home. what more do you want

.hack was released in 2002, there would have been months or years, before the .hack games were released, of press and magazine articles about the story and premise to drum up sales. He could have easily read them and create the premise for his own story and posted it in the web. AQs a former super LNfag in 2011 none of the LNfags cared about SAO and said it was a.hack ripoff. No one cared at all until a well made anime came out. It also happened with AoT. I want to call this phenomenon, where no one cared about the source content until the well made anime came out, The Polished Turd Effect.

Yes. Stuck in a VRMMORPG is a sub genre of isekai.

The rape doujin that was like a proto-SAO and was published in october 2000 could disprove it. The mc is even called Kirito here.

Attached: 1595544637912.jpg (1280x1803, 415.45K)

Attached: 1632020015139.jpg (1280x1803, 202.92K)

sword art is no more of an isekai than fucking .hack is
there is no "debate"

btooom's adaptation was fucking garbage, which is a shame because femc is hot

kill yourself

Attached: glop1541285272301.gif (200x25, 1.18M)

Why is it that when .hack is talked about its usually someone saying SAO ripped it off, can't it just be talked about normally

>trapped in another world
>overpowered MC who everyone sucks the dick of with super special powers
>game stats
It's an isekai.

because idiots think that similarities imply copycatting