What was Lain other than my waifu?

What was Lain other than my waifu?
Was she the way information effects our lives? This feels like too modern a reading, but I only now finished watching the show and can't really have an impartial take on it like someone from 98 would have.

Attached: LainAt20_Getty_PioneerLDC_Ringer.jpg (1400x1400, 367.38K)

lainspamming discord immigrant

This is literally the first time in my life I've talked about lain anywhere, I finished ep13 20 minutes ago. Faggot.

lain is like two sides of the same coin i believe, like an example of what happens when you get consumed by an extension of reality, yet in the anime she has alice to ground her, while in the playstation game she doesnt (idk, just speculating)

There's a PlayStation game? Is it translated? I'm assuming the author of the show has creative control over it and it makes sense within the context of the series, right?

Lain is an existence incarnated from the collective unconscious to retread the path of modernity that humanity has been on, to learn where they could and should go from here. She is shown to latch onto computing and internet use obsessively where she once knew nothing and was timid, she commits the common sins like conducting herself differently online and holding conflicting sets of of morals, and becoming exposed to desensitizing information until multiple Lains emerge.
Her online persona as Lain of the Wired is different from the physical Lain who is a daughter and classmate, who is different to the person her friends and family thought they knew. Her alienation becomes complete when she does not know whether to identify with memes that are completely external and multiples times removed from any persona she identifies with. Hence the alien in a christmas sweater. She seemingly becomes afflicted with schizophrenia to show the schism growing in the human condition as internet begins (and since has) completely subsumed modern life.

Attached: 1638123191066.jpg (1145x1224, 263.25K)

The game was made by the same creators and is a separate timeline to the anime. It's not even really a game, as the game play is just moving through a really clunky menu to access audio recordings and videos of Lain and her therapist. There is a fan translation playable at laingame.net with a simplified version available too which I recommend just because moving between the files takes a while. It's pretty good and well worth the read if you want more Lain.

Attached: tda038.png (200x150, 12.81K)

Pretty convincing explanation, thanks user. It does flow more naturally than my idea of Lain as a personification of information alone. But what of the parts where Lain has to decide if she wants to completely disappear from the world? How does that fit into the reading of her as a personification of humanity?

Attached: gpekeuy6a1b71.jpg (750x750, 64.17K)

Lain's adventure with technology and the internet reaches the logical end of which it does for obsessives. Her familial bonds and those with her friends have been strained and severed. Her room being a manifestation of her headspace has gone from a normal girl's sensibilities to an alien mothership supercomputer. Finally she meets her foil, a transhumanist who believes himself to be the God of the Wired. He is the furthest on the current path of humanity which is to be lost in technology and yet bound by its limitations.
Lain's transformation and triumph is spiritual, not technological. She can reintegrate her disparate selves by going back to her original existence of being 'truly' connected to everyone, not just through avatars and mediated realities. The heavens are her choice, not the 'shadows' seen throughout the show which are representative of oppressive creeping technology.
Lain leaves the Wired.
Uncle Ted was right. Return to monke.

Attached: 1413351729829.jpg (500x310, 27K)

Attached: 1593913582333.jpg (549x554, 145.5K)

i still cannot fathom that the creators supposedly said that the series did not consciously assess questions of identity in the internet

Attached: Lain_Split_Personnalities.jpg (308x322, 22.46K)

Ive been meaning to post this somewhere, here is as good as any. The spirit of "Cyberpunk" is really post-modernism. Once you know its tenets, the media begins to again speak as an art form. Go read Baudrillard. Lain is a simulacra. Her creator made her as proof that technology had left reality behind and could sustain a new form of life.

Baudrillard - 3 stages of simulation:
1. The simulation is a mirror of reality
2. The simulation changes reality
3. The simulation conceals that reality has disappeared.
4. The simulacra, the copy without an original. Something which exists on its own and has left reality totally behind.

For the series creator, its a thesis that the postmodern simulacra, the disappearance of reality, is very close at hand. Close enough, that someone could just wake up one day and find themselves, living in a shotgun shell.

>This thread somehow turned into /x/ conspiracy shit

Attached: images.jpg (658x466, 18.09K)

Lain was already /x/

Attached: 85396390_p0.jpg (1920x2502, 2.99M)

The alternative would be admitting that Lain is all style without substance. So if you don't want that, then post more conspiracy shit!

this show has nothing to do with social media or the internet or your troon fantasies

autistic

you're supposed to have your monitor turned on while watching anime

shit blog

nobody said it's about social media and trannies, schizo