What are the benefits of reading two pages at a time besides looking at spreads of course?

What are the benefits of reading two pages at a time besides looking at spreads of course?

Attached: 1643479587380.jpg (1920x1080, 431.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mangadex.org/chapter/21127846-953a-4dcd-8a8b-5ff3cd53d3f3/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

Sounds like something that someone who smells their own farts would say.
What manga even take advantage of double pages, outside of the spreads?

I read all pages at the same time, sometimes even upside down

It does not make sense to read manga in an one page format. If you still want to go ahead it's only bringing you out of the experience. Pic related for example are two characters facing each other and if you were looking at it from one page it wouldnt look bad but you wouldnt see the perspective the mangaka was going for when they drew the pages

Attached: 1624391660904.jpg (2134x1600, 1.05M)

>snk
congrats on invalidating anything you have to say, kike
thread hidden

>Sounds like something that someone who smells their own farts would say.
This is literallly you right now

A lot of manga do, subtly. When you turn the page, there's a short break in attention which doesn't exist between pages next to each other. So a lot of manga are written with this "rhythm" in mind. Two pages next to each other will often flow into each other.
mangadex.org/chapter/21127846-953a-4dcd-8a8b-5ff3cd53d3f3/1
Here's an excellent example of a comedy manga using that rhythm. Every double-page ends with a new character walking through the door, so the reader anticipates who it will be when they turn the page. Unlike reading single pages, the page-turning pauses ONLY happen right before a new character walks in and nowhere else in the chapter.

Original user you replied to.
There's nothing there, that needs to be seen all at once. The left page immediately breaks the need to be seen all at once, by showing a character alone, after showing two together.
Do you have a good example?

>There's nothing there, that needs to be seen all at once
I disagree. Seeing the two bottom panels next to each other emphasizes the wall in a way that the single page doesn't.

Why wouldn't you read manga with two pages?
It's always been the most natural to me.

Honestly I only notice this in h-manga where the act/reveal happens after the page turn.

You would have a convincing argument, if it wasn't for the fact that there's a short break in attention, when your eyes go from the bottom of the right page, to the top of the left page.

Nigga it’s how the books work. You always see two pages at a time.

You can't deny that the artist storyboarded it in a way that he wants you to see both pages next to each other, like from the paneling and composition alone. But if you want another example, pic related I saw in another thread. Two pages at a time is important because in the hands of an artist skilled in layouts the panels are very well used to tell the story, foreshadow events, and add tension.

Attached: 1634328369779.png (1070x782, 1.23M)

Yes, but a much shorter break than having to actually turn the page. You can see that chapter I linked takes advantage of this rhythm by using the slightly longer break to build anticipation and the slightly shorter break for quick punchlines. It was very, very clearly written with two-page spreads in mind.

Them repeatedly looking at the wall emphasizes the wall, not the panel layout, since you're getting the wall from majorly different perspectives on both pages.
Now, if there was a manga about a family, stuck on both sides of the Berlin Wall during the Cold War, and the right side had one part of the family looking at the wall and talking about something, while the left side had the other part of the family looking at the wall talking about something that parallels/contrasts what the right side was saying, while looking at the wall/not looking. That would be something that used both pages, while not being a spread.

It's not entirely clear whether he's looking at the wall or the sky when the page is taken on its own. When the two panels are together, it's very clear that the wall on the right is "flowing" into the wall on the left, since they're supposed to be parallels.

Attached: Untitled.png (1064x1595, 1.6M)

Hey, an example of a two pages that actually work together. Assuming that they're actually walking towards the same spot. The visuals between the train tracks makes it slightly unclear contextless, but I can take it on faith that it's supposed to be the same set of tracks.

You've convinced me

Why are you here? You do know who that is right? I can't imagine people on Any Forums not reading his work. If you haven't you unironically need to go back.

How slowly do you turn pages? Are you one of those people who only get the next page ready, once you've finished looking at everything? I get the next page ready to be turned, roughly half way through the left page. It takes no less time to turn pages, than just moving your eyes.
It's not the double page that is doing the work in your example, but the turning of the page, itself. It's a decent example, but not as good as the train tracks example.

How many mangaka can you identify by face?
In this case his name is written in the back though.