Scanlation thread

what are you working on?

Attached: 1628744052260.png (2400x2340, 531.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostbin.com/PO7Qf
book.dmm.co.jp/detail/b410awvzr02645/
book.dmm.co.jp/detail/b410awvzr02529/
quicksandscans.wordpress.com/about/
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hPV4o8fmxY2Ab9tXi84l0vVOUQEgFIbU
mega.nz/folder/8ZUQhCjC#2oz4p8DSIovTPyAFDQVJOw/folder/RJ9ggYQA
drive.google.com/file/d/1BGDLEK9pdCEuly0U_Xz7iHNpzLHEolmx/view?usp=sharing
wordhippo.com/
punpedia.org/
thejadednetwork.com/sfx
rentry.org/How2ESRGAN
files.catbox.moe/ucjhae.pth
litter.catbox.moe/viyzr8.cbz
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07BW87YMQ/
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07F1RBV2Y/
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07K1WTQNQ/
github.com/xuzhengyi1995/Manga_downloader
litter.catbox.moe/v2atb6.7z
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/450036622940045325/936099965300768808/4x_eula_digimanga_bw_v1_860k.pth
slow.pics/c/lp9O3GnZ
slow.pics/c/AxmHpF3m
cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2583686e-629e-11ec-abb7-b9a7ff2ee17c
cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=52c76032-629e-11ec-abb7-b9a7ff2ee17c
renta.papy.co.jp/
ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/media_wysiwyg/University of Oxford Style Guide.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=cqFtnxXO6nk&t=391s
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/十六夜#Japanese
quicksandscans.wordpress.com/physicalscanning/
litter.catbox.moe/1ka0c9.png
litter.catbox.moe/d76oa9.png
slow.pics/c/7I8kdjTa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

piss off with your shitty general

Blacklisting scanlators.

4 koma

stuff

What type?

Procrastinating. My translator hasn't finished the script for the most recent chapter yet. That means I don't have to start redrawing, right?

Fixing my mental health. Other than that, I might end up working on uhhh very cute and gay youtube manga shorts (in an "anything is better than DeepL" capacity, but still). Maybe that will get me in the right mindset to finish other stuff that I need to finish (some doujins on DLsite, five episodes of an anime, and three volumes of a 4-koma). Sadly I also have another language to learn this year for life reasons so I probably won't do even half of this.

Attached: akane sighing deeply.jpg (713x641, 285.74K)

Hacking mangadex.

I don't scanlate but I just want to thank all of those who do. Thank you guys

Mangaplaza picked up a series I'm working on, tell me what you know about them. I tried sending a pm, but they haven't responded.

Which one's?

godspeed. make sure it stays down for good this time.

The last project in my shitty life. One more month to go, woo fucking hoo!

You sure this is the battle you want to be fighting? Not against the ever present isekai general, not the countless shounenshit generals that fester on this board, but against a thread that pops up once a week where people talk about translating the manga you're reading?
Are you absolutely positive you couldn't be spending your time in a more productive manner?

I'm going through some of my earlier chapters to improve the typesetting, fix mistakes and add translation notes

Yeah, right.

ABSOLUTELY BASED

Any tips or guides on typesetting with Krita? Going full open-source and want to try something different than GIMP

Attached: electrichearts_20190926A_kiki_a-737x1024.png (737x1024, 292.62K)

Not even official releases do that.

Sexy

An unloved hipster romcom from one of my fave authors

Official releases don't do that because they need to spend time and money on it, and likely need to do something with the licensing arrangements. Business-wise it makes sense to spend that time and money on releasing more new stuff. Fan translation isn't limited by any of that except for time.

I mean, maybe it's not much of an improvement but still

Attached: old vs new.png (1672x1200, 575.12K)

Does anyone know a good drawing guide to get the proper proportions for males and females?

is any group or anyone translating this? the raws are out

Attached: 1615070702335.png (285x400, 222.85K)

OH NO! Your long-term top quality typesetter has suddenly annouced his mother has fallen gravely sick and needs funds to pay for treatment and asks you to add a donation link on the credit page. (He's been there for you since day 1). How do you respond?

I am not a furry, sorry

wrap it up guys, retard here said he wants more coombait and isekaishit polluting the board.

I take my pills for multiple personality disorder.

Someone please pick up my wife Shigure-san's manga

please

Attached: ---id---3822---id------c---13---c------t---00226---t---.jpg (850x1200, 353.72K)

give me the raws and I'll think about it

Manga Temple is an excellent font. You could even call it the epitome of calligraphic fonts. The elegant rectilinear strokes in combination with the subtlest of curvatures at the right spots makes for the most exquisite reading experience. It truly is an artistic masterpiece, a marvel of modern day typography, dare I say.

Attached: every thread until you stop it.png (1862x2048, 1.08M)

The Tsukihime manga, “redrawing” is a big pain tho

I just download young jump raws from mangaraws.com/nyaa/comics888

Guys what do you think about hanging punctuation? Should I use it?

for me, its helvetica bold

I have 5 chapters of various series done but people make fun of my typesetting so I'm just never gonna upload them
>just improve bro
no its too much work

it's rare for readers to care about typesetting.
I'm curious now. please post a page.

I sometimes use it and sometimes not. Depends on whether it makes the text look more centered or not.

I really feel uncomfortable when I read something like this.

Attached: Screenshot_2022-01-28_012937.jpg (720x1178, 501.88K)

Oh, I thought you meant the PS option of Roman Hanging Punctuation. How would you change it? Not consider the ellipses at all when centering the text?

jizz

Doesn’t it look awkward otherwise? I understand what you mean tho, it’s bothering me with my own typesetting

I shift the lines with such punctuation, while typesetting.

if i wasn't a lazy piece of shit I would rewrite that whole thing in wild words.

Personally, I think it looked fine. Good on you though for trying to quality control

Goodspeed user, I hate reading cramped bubbles and your improved ver makes my eyes happy.

just post it, people shit on me for being esl but I don't give a fuck

Same old, same old.
Though I haven't been able to get much done lately due to feeling tired after work.

My God, if I have a redrawer I won't be this much lazy. The only thing that prevents me from publishing the latest chapter is opening PS.

I need to know!

So... Any drama?

>The last project in my shitty life.
That's what we all say.

Attached: lq-bait.jpg (600x600, 17.82K)

I would have to collect the pages from rars of the magazine raws, where should I upload them to?

Found this, seems a bit outdated but it's pretty comprehensive.
ghostbin.com/PO7Qf

I personally think the right version has too much breathing room, but what do you anons think?
Is it a good standard after all?

The left version still has enough breathing room so it doesn't feel cramped, so I assume the typesetter was going for readability without having to zoom in to 100%.

TL is on the way. Got something to work on.

Attached: 3.png (4118x6028, 2.06M)

I fuck wit you niggas

you are using … instead of ... right user?

Left does feel cramped and with that size it's hard to make the text align with the shape of the bubble well. It might make things easier for readers on mobile, but it looks considerably worse. Japanese text usually leaves quite a lot of breathing space too.

i think the right one is better, but i would probably make it a tiny bit bigger

>couldn't find translated scans of gundam seed astray anywhere
>got spoonfed
>not scans but photos of the english manga
>good enough for me but found italian scans
>cbr files
I don't know shit about swapping the text, not to mention it's not straight up png or jpg, but I could eventually translate to english. Would anyone be interested in doing all the photoshop work if I can provide a translation ?

Please help rip these series
book.dmm.co.jp/detail/b410awvzr02645/
book.dmm.co.jp/detail/b410awvzr02529/

cbr is just an archive, you should be able to just extract it with 7zip or winrar or whatever

Inquiring minds want to know, how do you anons keep yourselves going when scanlation is a mostly thankless job?

Attached: press.png (1366x768, 841.5K)

work on good manga
my motivation always tanks when i have a shitty chapter
thanks or donations do nothing for me

E-peen so big I no longer need external validation

My love for the series I'm working on.
It's kept me going over the years despite having tried to quit several times now.

what's your thought on localization

Attached: 1641320725906.png (1892x1550, 1.49M)

I was attempting to deal with this a few days ago. PS's system doesn't work properly with ellipses—it treats them as a single period so they aren't shifted an appropriate distance, and it doesn't work at all on the Unicode ellipsis symbol. Unlike InDesign, PS won't let you add custom characters to the hanging punctuation list. I'm trying to make a script to solve this issue, sorta...

At the end of our long journey, I wonder if we'll be friends? Wild words is fine, always has been and always will be.

Attached: Font Sheet.png (1862x2048, 1.05M)

I want to be fluent in Japanese someday

based. you just know these thieves pirated ps anyway.

>pirated ps anyway.
as they should

I use Krita though

Why would you buy it?

Both look fine

please consider it

Is it just me or is this a slow thread

Even though the scanlation community is kinda big why are there are still some popular and well regarded titles with very bad scanlations?
For example I wanted to read Slam Dunk(watched the anime and just read the final arc a couple of years ago) and the only scan available is a shitty scan with horrendous typesetting. It looks and feels like it's 20+ years old. Not only does Slam Dunk have a VIZ official release but it got a kanzenban release a few years ago.
Many way less popular series have great scanlations but something as popular and as good as Slam Dunk doesn't. Why is that?

It is everyone's moral duty to steal adobe products.

If I was the world's richest man I would still pirate Photoshop

it is like that some times.

It's a 32 year old series.

If I was the worlds richest man I would commission scanlations of manga I wanna read

So? Message to Adolf is 37 years old and it has a perfectly good scan available.
That also doesn't change the fact that Slam Dunk is way more popular and it's in the top 15 best selling manga of all time. It just makes sense that it should be available in higher quality than most stuff.

the viz release exists

what do you guys think about Kodansha re-releasing GTO manga digitally? Apparently they're just using the tokyopop release. Is it any good?

It exists, but not online.

damn

Why duplicate Viz?
hobby time has a limit.

nyaa?
bakabt?
somewhere like manfahere?

None of those(searched on AB instead of BBT) have it. I guess I just might as well buy it myself

ftp://ftp.pptenshi.live/madokami/alphabetical/S/Slam%20Dunk/

People here haven't mentioned the two real issues.

1) It's 31 volumes so it would take ages to scanlate.

1) The Viz edition is paper only, which means to pirate it you would need to scan it. Since they're paperback books you would need to debind them for decent quality, half destroying the books in the process. I just spent a few days scanning books, it takes fucking forever and even once the scanning is over you have to crop, straighten, level and so on. It would take 31 volumes of that.

I kinda guess that the scanning process is a pain in the ass but not much. Thanks for the clarification

>not much
No, it's a huge pain in the ass

Ok I am a bit noob on this but if one wants to share files, does he needs to setup port forwarding?

Same guy here. If I want to share my files through FTP, how do I do that? Any good guide for the noobs to understand?

All these about FTP appears to be a bit indimating. I would appreciate any resources which will help me learn to about how to setup an FTP server, requirements, how to upload or download files etc. A noob friendly guide would be preferrable

bumpin

Fine if used only for comedy series

>Imperial era names are too confusing
>Let's make up some equally confusing and also just plain retarded shit about all Emperors being called Meiji instead
All localizers should be gassed is what I think.

Bump

Are there any better raws for 湯神くんには友達がいない ?
Or anyway to fix these white lines?

Attached: CCF_0002.jpg (1299x2101, 161.89K)

Attached: 湯神くんには友達がいない 1 7.jpg (764x1200, 208.81K)

kindle rip?

> general info and tutorials
quicksandscans.wordpress.com/about/
> fonts
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hPV4o8fmxY2Ab9tXi84l0vVOUQEgFIbU
mega.nz/folder/8ZUQhCjC#2oz4p8DSIovTPyAFDQVJOw/folder/RJ9ggYQA
> screentones
drive.google.com/file/d/1BGDLEK9pdCEuly0U_Xz7iHNpzLHEolmx/view?usp=sharing
> translation/proofreading
wordhippo.com/
punpedia.org/
thejadednetwork.com/sfx
> upscaling
Current best model is MangaScaleV3, but at current levels of performance upscaling is unlikely to be worth the file size increases, unless your raws are very small.
rentry.org/How2ESRGAN
files.catbox.moe/ucjhae.pth

Sex

俺セックスになるんだ!

oh shit can you share it user? Just the first vol is fine.
I have been thinking about making a high effort release but the shitty raws were making me spend more time on cleaning

>5vol
bro slam dunk would literally take more than 5 times the effort.

The absolute

Kek that video

>Thought I could release the chapter in less than a month for once
>So many little redraws here and there slow down the typesetting tremendously and it's impossible
Fuck. If only I wasn't so autistic about redrawing every bubble that needs it.

Attached: 1454539666947.png (643x636, 300.52K)

>redrawing
fucking retard
1 day is enough to do a 30-page chapter solo

Nta but he might have a life beside scanlating bro

Life, you mean procrastinating?
Nobody's working 16 hours a day every day
No matter how busy you are, there's always plenty of time for scanlation, if you actually want to do it.

My scanner takes about 25 seconds to scan one page at 600dpi. It might take the same—at an absolute minimum—to crop and rotate the page. You can do the maths.

Both of these are pretty weird, the fan translation is stiffer than even my terrible writing, and the official translation came up with random bullshit that doesn't align with history.
In general, my opinion that the level of localization should be decided on a case by case basis. If the work is not related to real Japan, localize away, it's the better option. If it's a very otaku thing, don't overdo localization, it's only going to look silly to the target audience. With Kimetsu I'd err on the side of localization because of its extremely wide spread and general appeal, but without this kind of made up crap.

Because once something is translated, nobody is going to bother redoing the work, as there are still many untranslated works they'd rather be working on. So if something was badly translated, tough luck, it's going to be like that forever unless there's an official release down the road.
The only exception is popular ongoings, those could have ten groups working on the same title all at once, but that side of scanlation is a shithole of its own.

Life as in having priorities, having family to tend to, being part of neighborhood rangers, or things. I mean, sure if you want to cut up your sleep hours, I personally won't

you can do the scanning too then thnx

Localization would be "It's eighteen-hundred and what year?" "It's the 20th century now".

Not everyone has the energy to spend all of those 16 hours productively. E.g. sadly I don't (or fortunately, depending on people's opinions on stuff I translate), so I usually only scanlate when I'm not too busy with work, otherwise one of the two has to suffer.

litter.catbox.moe/viyzr8.cbz

Is mantra finally good yet?

I don't think it changed in any meaningful way, at least the editor part. No idea about the MTL part of it.

Never is, never will be.

Anyone willing to translate chapter 22 of pic related? Some anons translated 23-25 but 22 is still left undone. Raws can be found in and I'll be typesetting it, unless you'd rather do it yourself. 23-25 are already typeset.

Attached: vol4.jpg (1800x2560, 888.17K)

What's the best workaround when you encounter bubbles that are narrow but high?
Is it better to hyphenate more words or just lower the font size so it fits?

Reduce font size to reasonable levels > reduce width to 90% > hyphenate the living shit out of it > slap on a fat fucking stroke

When all else fails, widening the bubble itself can be an option if there's nothing of value behind it. If it's in a 4-koma though - tough luck, use narrow fonts and hyphenate, like the other user said.

best narrow fonts?

Vertical text

Marian churchland tall, comicraft for shouting.

Samaritan Tall, Marian Churchland tall like other user said, Legendary Legedermain Leggy if you're really in a pinch

Thanks!

What about tight spot?

Reading through shogi takagi.
Why do groups insist on filling credit pages with discord spam?

Another nice pick

just fucking read the viz version then lmao it would be such a waste of effort to redo a 33 volume series that has a license

and he is asking where to get it as it is only available in print

Just click on a file and a download box pops up, it's not hard

Maybe not really that popular and well regarded but that reminded me of inertia, there was a good group doing it but they dropped it, and now we have a guy that uses mtl and has pretty weird typesetting
Well at least its better than what happened with neeko but i think that one has to be some kind of shitpost. The guy picked it up and did 3 chapters and they are absolute dogshit.
Like why even pick it up if you will do something like this?

Attached: file.png (1114x1600, 2.07M)

That was no group, all three "groups" that worked on inertia so far are just solo guys. But yeah, the first one at least was actually translating it from japanese and not mtl'ing the shit out of it

Ok the 2 that are more recent are solo guys, but it looked like the first first one was a group and an ancient one at that. I didnt mention that one because reading that made me want to hang myself and I try to forget about it.

No, the first one is the same, his site even mentions that he translates manga as a hobby to keep his japanese in practice

Attached: Скриншот 28-01-2022 190901.png (846x107, 41.44K)

Oh ok, I thought I saw that he was also working with some other ppl on that site some time ago when I checked it. Anyway I straight up hate how he was doing the typesetting.

Bumpin

Same reason groups do credit pages in the first place.

which is...

Attentionwhoring.
They want people to suck their dicks.

But it breaks the flow of the manga.
In the tankobon version the mangaka will occasionally insert a blank page or one with a small gag to remind readers to take a break between the chapters but most of the time you have a clear continuation.

When redrawing sfx are ellipses acceptable? Particularly when the sound effect in question has already been used without one?

How do you redraw gradients?

depends on the type of gradient, can you give an example?

Copy cleans one's from another manga and replace them.

I'm not sure I understand your question. The original sfx has an ellipsis and you're not sure if your translation should have one? I'd probably include it if the ellipsis there signified something like a trailing-off of the sound.

Tell that to them, not me. I'm not doing credit pages for that exact reason.

Smooth gradient or one with a screen tone? Smooth ones are easy, either with the gradient tool or soft brushes. If you lower the flow and opacity of the brush, it'll let you blend tones together easier, too.

For screen tones you can use the clone tool and build up the gradient by blending together dark and light samples with lower opacity, or you find a uniform sample of the screen tone somewhere and get a gradient through adjustment layers.

>But it breaks the flow of the manga.
>most of the time you have a clear continuation.
You're aware most manga release in some other chapter by chapter state long before the tankobon version is out, and there's usually some kind of filler or advertising page after the chapter in magazines or online readers? Unless you exclusively wait for the tankobon version to release chapters, this argument you're making would be in favor of a credits page.

Because the readers read it that way. Online readers are abhorrent and shouldn't be emulated.

bampu

no it's not
obligatory kill yourself instead redrawing someone's else work you fucking retard

>Why duplicate Viz?
every manga released by viz should be completely retranslated. These retards are localizing everything to the core, altering, censoring and redrawing SFX/various parts of the image.
Fuck them.

easy bud

Maybe just don't redraw? Just write SFX meaning using small font like Yen Press. Stop destroying original artwork you fucking retard.

For certain gradients, you can set your brush flow to 1% and slowly build up the color.

Clone Stamp

Most sfx are just stock images from clip studio paint.

saving this thread
with some survivors

This thread has been replaced by a credits page complaint thread.

I know a way to save this thread. Who is, or was, the BEST English publisher?

Tokyopop

Viz

Ripper user, can I?
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07BW87YMQ/
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07F1RBV2Y/
amazon.co.jp/dp/B07K1WTQNQ/

Which is the best site to get digital raws? Amazon, EBJ, Bookwalker? any other?

Explain. Were viz really the heroes manga readers needed?

Bookwalker has the lowest prices and highest quality but ripping is a closely guarded secret.
Amazon has low prices but the quality can be worse than other shops.
EBJ got ruined by Yahoo.
Kobo has good quality and public ripping tools available.
Comic Fuz has the Kirara magazines in higher quality. The Kirara 4koma are far better in the Fuz chapters than the normal Houbunsha tanks.

github.com/xuzhengyi1995/Manga_downloader
but of course for this one to work you actually need to buy the thing

That's just taking screenshots. People want the epubs with the original files.

hi

I cant believe 4koma palette died

bump

All because of that user who hates typesetting 4-koma.

Anyone knows of good educational manga?
Something like the learn to draw/learn C++ through manga stuff, but for other subjects or topics.
Maybe music or economics.

Attached: algorism.png (581x443, 304.63K)

John bar Penkaye's 'Resh Melle' [from Syriac]
go big or go home

Is it difficult to rip HQ scans from Bookwalker? Seems like no one ever does it...

stella no mahou

It is difficult to get to the original files. As far as I know, you can only get them through the PC app or android app, so ripping them means you'll have to crack the encryption on either one of those or fool their server into thinking you are the app. I don't know about the mobile app, but the pc one is a real headache to crack. The web viewer is actually way less secure if you can get through their stupid level of obfuscation and the image quality is only slightly worse.

So if that's the case, which storefront should we be using to ask/beg ripper-anons to get stuff from? Should the choice exist, of course.

fuck

Does anyone know any recent manga that has scenes showing a girl using the toilet?

degen

kanojo tomodachi

no starch press, manga guide to ?

I already read that manga and no girl is using the toilet there, they were just fucking in a toilet.

litter.catbox.moe/v2atb6.7z

Plump?

Ones with girls using the toilet. Kanojo Tomodachi doesn't count since she wasn't using a toilet.

What are anons' biggest typesetting pet peeves?

Put-
ting too man-
y hyphens in a bub-
ble just to get
better shap-
ing.

>man-y
God, please don't make me a murderer.

Add this model as option next time

Name: 4x_eula_digimanga_bw_v1_860k
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Link: cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/450036622940045325/936099965300768808/4x_eula_digimanga_bw_v1_860k.pth
Model Architecture: ESRGAN
Scale: 4
Purpose: Black and white digital manga with halftones.

Iterations: 860k
batch_size: 4
HR_size: 128
Dataset: 600dpi digital manga. LR images repeated with different compression strengths, and gamma adjustments.
Dataset_size: ~4000 pages
OTF Training No
Pretrained_Model_G: 4xPSNR

Description: This is very specifically for manga art with screentones, resulting in a very sharp halftoned image with pure blacks and whites; if your image has color or smooth grayscale gradients, it will try to convert them to B/W halftones and won't be what you need. So this will work for the bread and butter of most mangas, just make sure to sort your color/grayscale pages out and use a different model for them. This should also reasonably work for other B/W art and comics. Won't work for raw scans unless you preprocess them; clean them as best as you can and ensure the levels are perfect. It can get pretty patchy with very degraded LR's but I can't train it to be better anymore.

Comparisons:
Clean examples (3 comparisons): slow.pics/c/lp9O3GnZ
Very degraded examples (6 comparisons): slow.pics/c/AxmHpF3m
cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2583686e-629e-11ec-abb7-b9a7ff2ee17c
cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=52c76032-629e-11ec-abb7-b9a7ff2ee17c

Attached: Clipboard-comparison.jpg (4096x2093, 1.95M)

Hope you enjoy having strokes, user.

Attached: Yume Kara Samete mo Soba ni Ite - Chapter 1 - 10.jpg (1056x1478, 348.09K)

no thanks

Y'all niggas iight don't come to the board tomorrow

I used to be able to do that user, but I don't have nearly as much free time as I used to and scanlating is not my only hobby.
I don't redraw sfxs user I redraw the white and black bubbles that the author loves to use for emphasis on almost every other page. I can't imagine the hell it was typesetting Jitsu wa Watashi wa with how often those bubbles were present there as well.

Attached: Imposing.png (844x1200, 318.12K)

It died because somebody here kept ripping and spreading the issues.

>Implying this site will be up by tomorrow

What to do if I want to share some files?

Why?

Anons here ask ripper anons to rip from BW. You can ask too. Mostly it's always BW or Amazon links

Thanks a bunch!

I’m very interested to see this has finally been released. Great results but there’s no way a CC license would hold up since it’s trained on commercial manga.

Naw. If you're told to not touch the button, you'll want to touch it even more. So I'll come even more often tomorrow.

thanks for all the hard work you guys do

Anyone can tell me something or any advice about Renta and its manga there? Or about ripping from it?

What

Are you guys even awake

yes
always yes

what the fuck is a renta?

Are you just pretending to be retarded?
renta.papy.co.jp/

No I am actually retarded

How come this thread has barely any replies or IPs? Usually it would have much more than this

LOL!

Attached: Screenshot_1.jpg (292x133, 20.87K)

Mantra made us all obsolete.

No mangadex comments, no trannylation.

Scanlation is dead.

still hoarding until mangadex comment section :)

based attentionchads

i wouldnt mind hepling in proof reading and as long as you providde the romaji and what you think the letters construct into a sentense ill be glad to be of service espcially if you can help me learn japanese in the process of the proof reading ^^^^ (Smug#4619)

please learn english first.

>replying to obvious bait
I am assuming you wanted to BUMP(!) the thread?

where was this posted

Ripper user, are you here? Could you rip the colorized versions of Mujaki no Rakuen?

imagine giving your money to adobe lmao

Picturebox

Translators, post JLPT scores

*gasp* YOU MONSTER.

Anyone? Please?

renta has fucking garbage quality

How does one acquire/rip raws anyway? Japanese sites? Don't they have watermarks?

For magazines and tankobon: you buy them in a ebook store.
Online manga is available on the respective sites for a limited time.
Don't bother with non-Japanese sites.

>Reading through shogi takagi.
I have reached shogi MILF
Why is Urushi so small? Her dad's a behemoth.

amazon.com and you're done. TM

zenzen yamada

It's because I wasn't home. Now that I'm back, I'll start posting more.

Mastermtl%

based , literally me

One day Hox will return, one day...

But they have some of exclusive manga I want to read and maybe translate. Did no one has ever translated any from Renta, seeing as not many even ever heard of it?

Stupid question, but they won't tell I'm ripping shit, right? I don't wanna go to a Jap prison

depends on what store you choose, what you use to buy it, how you rip it, how you share it, etc.

Depends what you do with it. If you keep it for yourself then they won't do shit but if you distribute them you're up for trouble.

Amazon's Kindle thing. It's obviously for scanlating purposes

I don't think Amazon embeds data related to your account/purchase in the images, but that doesn't mean you can't be struck for sharing

Renta is the worst digital store I've ever seen and by far. Their quality is atrocious, they're expensive as fuck and their campaigns are a joke. Not sure how you'd rip from them, but even if you do, at least get esrgan and clean and upscale the shit out of what you get. That said, I wouldn't use Renta unless the thing I wanted had absolutely no other option, not even a physical I could debind and scan myself. You wonder if people ever traslated shit from there - I'm sure they did, there's a reason why shit, artefacty, post stamp-sized scans exist.

What fonts have good heart glyphs? None of the ones I use have it.

Like 心 or ?

This shit.

>just erase the text and move the hearts around lol
I already do that, I just want more options.

Attached: heart example.png (76x210, 12.5K)

I use Meiryo or Arial Unicode for those, at the bottom of this pic. The rest are from MWHeart.

Attached: file.png (500x929, 50.21K)

Perfect, thanks.

>just erase the text and move the hearts around lol
Most manga's raw text have lower resolution/sharpness than your font so it makes sense to always replace the hearts or other symbols like !?.

name?

Out of the comicraft fonts I have installed, at least Comicrazy, Meanwhile, Victory Speech and Wild Words have heart glyphs
I only recently realized that those let you make them with or ()

Attached: hearts.png (200x300, 7.66K)

It's BL user

Any tips on Fansubbing?

Make opening lyrics karaoke

>Dub the opening
>Make cigarettes to lollipop
>Change onigiri to cookies or jelly donuts
>Translate the measurement in US standard
>Censor bloods and guns
Don't thank me.

Stop subs from obscuring the art.
Redraw over any Japanese text.

Any anons who do a lot of scanning here? Just picked up the Lide 400 because I have a lot of doujins from the last year or two that I want to scan and upload possibly. I'm planning to get some separate storage for it but wondering what would be best to scan to until then since my shit is in the 100s and I know most of these haven't been put online. Maybe PDF or PNG since they're lossless?

I don't scanlate but I've recently begun visiting these threads because they are comfy

Um bros? How do I add in those long lines when typesetting? I don’t have to use the line too right?

saa~

You don't add them, they're not a thing in English. Use ellipses instead.

This thread will not die

What do anons do with boxes that only have endless dots and no text? Turn the dots into a single ellipsis?

I used to leave them as is but now I side with the western supremacists and swap them for a variable number of ellipsis.

Any English/Engrish and pure ellipses bubbles stay as is.

Attached: 04.png (2086x3038, 3.62M)

Scan to bmp.

png is fine, but pdf isn't an image format

Actually if you are dealing with natural images then jpeg will be fine, because it uses gradients, it's only recompression where it sucks.

What do you think he's scanning, doujin photobooks?

This thread bores me

Thanks for the advice anons.
I'm just scanning some various SFW and mostly R-18 stuff I've picked up over the last 2 or so years from toranoana.
Only reason I was thinking about PDF is because it lowers the filesize significantly and I can open it up later in Photoshop with no quality downgrades as far as I see to then one-man everything, export to jpeg or whatever, and upload my favorites to the panda. I'm guessing png though is still the best overall though right?

PDF is just a container, if you want to you can also use cbz or something to store scanned pages in one file. PNG is go to for scanned output format, if you want to save size run it through pngcrush or pingo at lossless setting.
When scanning remember to turn off as many scanner filters as you can, you want the scan to be as untouched as possible. Also you can try reading through the quide on quicksandscans, one of the more important bullet points is that you wanna scan at 600dpi.

PDF accepts a few different compression methods, so your scanner is probably just using jpeg. If you can't see the difference, scan everything to png and schedule an appointment with an optician. Look into png optimizers like pnggauntlet if you're worried about disk space.

>EBJ got ruined by Yahoo.
What happened?

Is mangadex bugging out for anyone else? No chapters are loading.

Fingers crossed it's dying again.

Is it "...?" or "..?"

How do I export my follows?

...?

By not being a retard and using bakaupdates in the first place.

No drama, no interest

What should we snipe to generate the most drama?

The president.

..?

What are you confused about, it seems like a pretty simple question to me

…?

How do I export from bakaupdates?

You click 'export' at the bottom of the list

This might take a while then.

Bump

would any of you be so kind as to do a live TL of the latest chi no wadachi in the dump thread?

No...

ok

I felt a deja vu from this. Did this conversation happen once before?

idk

Offering money would just get you lower quality scanlations.

is the trick to offer to pay for the raws?

You have have to wait for someone who loves it enough to do it for free to do it!

Is there no decent scanlation group that stands out from the rest?

Depends on the context.
I only localize where it makes sense, *especially* when it's needed (e.g. TL is too stiff or won't be familiar to the new target audience).

Adobe doomed themselves to this after making PS subscription-based.
Not even Microsoft did that (yet).

Mine.

>learn to draw/learn C++ through manga stuff
Name? Also, that sounds like something that will get outdated real quick.

How do you prefer to romanize names for characters, places, etc? And why don't any groups ever seem to use macrons/circumflexes for long vowels?

Attached: romanization.png (478x468, 17.47K)

Because they're anoying to insert and many fonts don't have them. I use the most literal transcription (arigatou, onii-san, sensei, doujin) and add apostrophe in sen'yuu because it's different from the 'nyu' sound.

I personally just reuse whatever special symbols the raws use.
If they're faded, I just use a Multiply layer.

You just elongate the word, like thiiiiiis.

...? doesn't look as good as ..?
Plus, I personally have a 3-character rule for ellipsis punctuations, except for ..!? which is four.
And yes, I always put ? at the end.

Fool, you must preserve the exact number of ellipses and order of punctuation marks.

You foul beasts.
ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/media_wysiwyg/University of Oxford Style Guide.pdf

Attached: 4q2Gf.png (544x490, 60.99K)

For me it's either a dot or ellipsis, regardless of additional punctuation so ...? And ...!?
Also ?! And !? Sound different in my head.

Who gave Oxford the right to tell me what's right and what's wrong?
I suppose they want me to read The Elements of Style as well? (I don't agree with some things in it, for the record.)

I feel their rules are quite outdated.

The reason I prefer !? over ?! is because !? can be:
>a question that's being exclaimed
>something being exclaimed in confusion

I get that ?! fills in the same role, but it's just not the same for me and I don't know why.
Maybe because I always want questions to end with a ?

You can try any manual for the mess of a language that English is, but ellipsis are three dots, that's simple syntax, and adding or substracting dots for subjective aesthetics will always be incorrect. Just saying.

Just scan each page as a 600dpi PNG, as user mentioned you can further compress them losslessly using pinga/optipng/pnggauntlet. The scans are large but that's the price you pay for good quality scans, at least HDDs aren't too expensive these days. I scanned about 1400 pages recently at 600dpi and they're taking up about 60Gbs on my HDD.

Citing any style manual for manga will always be fraught, it's not like comics style doesn't flip things on its own head at points. Using an ellipsis with a question mark or exclamation mark at all is a violation of good prose style, whether you're talking Elements of Style/Chicago/Oxford/anything else. Just pick something and use it consistently. For what it's worth I don't feel that there's any good reason not to just use the three-dot ellipsis wherever it appears.

Personally, I just feel that ...!, ...?, ...!?, and ...?! take up 1 extra character, which is a bit unneeded.
Since you can get the same point across by removing one extra period, I see no harm in shortening the punctuations, especially since it makes the typesetting easier to fit inside the bubble and make better shapes.

>Someone translates something they heard to be "十六夜うなよ" and says it means "Don't burn moonlight."
>I tell him maybe it was actually "猶予うなよ", "Don't hesitate."
>Tells me no it's not that. It's a pun. It means "Don't burn moonlight", like "You're burning daylight".

Am I missing something or is this person insane? Apparently the quote is actually written that way in the official guidebook, but it's almost gotta be a typo. "十六夜うなよ" doesn't make any sense, right?

Attached: 1635087948348.png (500x77, 71.3K)

>adding or substracting dots for subjective aesthetics will always be incorrect
The English language does not have a council that dictates what is right or wrong. It's not like French language and the Academie Francaise. You can find lots of famous works which use only two dots, or four or more dots.

>Citing any style manual for manga will always be fraught
True, those kinds of style guides are mainly written for academic papers, journalism, law documents, and other things like that.

Attached: 1640874292180.jpg (2560x643, 1.15M)

The left's typesetting is definitely better.
The right is harder to read and looks like the text was just slapped on with MS paint, like if they had to consider that the image was square when they pasted it on.

Why not just use Jpeg?
Your scanner is probably going to output as a TIFF file/.tif/RAW and convert it to a png if you're doing it that way.
There is almost nothing to lose from the original scans being saved as jpeg, and you save gob loads of file size.
problens will only start to amass from repeated resaving of the file to jpeg.

I feel like you're missing basically all of the context that would make this make sense.

Yes there is, jpeg uses lossy compression. So by definition if you use that to compress RAWs you will as the name suggests lose data.
Of course it will take up less space on the disk.

It's just a fighting game intro quote. There's not a ton of context.

youtube.com/watch?v=cqFtnxXO6nk&t=391s

Wouldn't be the first time I ran into a typo in an official japanese thing.

Well, yes, but at the same time there are things which are commonly accepted practice, and one of those things is three dots for an ellipsis. There are naturally going to be works that deviate from that (and as I mentioned, comics are a great place to find those sorts of things).

Looking at it as a compromise view, I would rather follow tried-and-true prose traditions (like "three dots") unless there's a good reason not to. Style manuals aren't just for non-fiction writing but for prose fiction too, and they're not a bad foundation on which to construct one's own edifice of comic style.

>Any Forums shit
That said, it probably is a play on words. I don't know the character enough, to say for sure, but given the source material and such, I'd say it's very likely deliberate as opposed to just a typo. Especially one that's been presumably transcribed in so many different places. Not saying it can't be a typo, but it IS Guilty Gear.

sorry I just needed people who actually knew japanese. I used to go to djt for shit like this but every time I've gone there lately they're just all just trapped under a million layers of bizarre stupid in-jokes.

The only thing I have to say about scanlations is it's a crime more Chiba Tetsuya stuff hasn't been translated and I'm tempted to give Notari Matsutarou a shot myself.

なるほど...
全然わからない

>en.wiktionary.org/wiki/十六夜#Japanese
Seems like it's just one of those wacky ateji phrases, like 五月蝿い.

All of the blatant ESLs that are apparently translators in this thread that can't put 2 sentences together explains a lot

not my problem
go learn japanese, semi-lingual mutt-kun

Your friend is retarded, this is clearly a typo. なよ as a negative command (to not do something) can't be applied to a noun, that doesn't make sense. And if it truly was read 十六夜 [izayoi] thenう would have no place it the sentence. If they're saying "izayou" then it's almost certainly 猶予う in this context.

that's the best part, I'm better at english, japanese, AND translating than you will ever be
stick to translating between south asian monkey languages, street shitting ape

>Your friend is retarded
Thank you.

>And if it truly was read 十六夜 [izayoi] thenう would have no place it the sentence.
This was what had me confused in the first place. The translation people have been repeating for years has been "The sixteen day moon swells" which is....just....what??? When I confronted him about it he dug up that page and now he's 100% convinced it means "“Don’t slow me down" or "You're burning moonlight". Apparently it's even been officially translated in the new dub as "Better not hold back..." which is still not really right but it's at least closer.

This is interesting too, but even the natives I've asked at this point have told me it's almost definitely just a typo.

I heard the phrase "izayou" at 6:31 in the video posted in , and apparently 十六夜 is actually derived from the verb 猶予う. So the answer is that 十六夜うなよ is actually 猶予うなよ written using ateji. Case closed.

pyw

sorry but I get more readership if I translate to my version of english so I shall keep doing the needful good sir :^D

So when is a space needed after the ellipsis?

I don't change the punctuation if I can help it because there's a 0.000001% chance that there may be some small joke with the punctuation that I don't get and it doesn't hurt to preserve it. I'm insane, though.

I doubt there's such a thing as a punctuation joke and even more that a Japanese author would make one.

Just in case...

With regards to bilingual jokes, we scanlators have it easy since we can easily differentiate translated English and actual English with special symbols:
>translated English
>[actual English]

I remember cringing at the Ichigo Mashimaro dub where the VAs pretty much pretended their translated English was different from actual English despite the two sounding exactly the same.

You have to work with at least 2 or 3 languages for these jokes to make sense in a dub.

Attached: ichigo mashimaro english.jpg (1281x724, 93.42K)

ntr

I won

There's no reason not to use a shitty fast CIS feed through scanner to scan officials
Rotacropping can be done via a program like tankroller, there's literally no reason not to save time on that. Even then it will take a long time though. Still easier than rescanlating it, that would be laughable

EBJ sometimes still has the best quality though
Amazon quality is usually the same as the other ones though
Honestly it depends on what the publishers gave. Bookwalker has highest quality on their backend, is what I hear....

quicksandscans.wordpress.com/physicalscanning/

Speaking of ntr, anyone know what happend to xration/miltea?
He's been gone for years now.

...Who?

Thanks user
I currently don't have ESRGAN installed, could you or someone quickly run this image through?

Attached: i-147.jpg (1080x1536, 384.31K)

This one too, these screentones are scuffed

Attached: 0087.png (848x1200, 921.15K)

files too large, so catbox.
litter.catbox.moe/1ka0c9.png
litter.catbox.moe/d76oa9.png

Agreed, but even if you wanted to use a belt-feed and some program to auto-crop you would still need to debind 31 volumes (pretty thorougly too, getting rid of all the glue, if you want to be able to run it through a belt-feed) and in doing so half-destroy them.

Thank you, kind user.

It's literally only $220 at MSRP with Barnes and noble's buy 2 get 1 free deal. I dunno what shit tier country you live in but anyone gainfully employed can easily afford that, especially since the scanning and cleaning will keep them too busy to spend any other money for the next month or more. And debinding is not that hard once you get into a rhythm.

Some guy who made a lot of NTR doujins back in the day.
Mostly Ragnarok.

made a comparison just out of curiosity slow.pics/c/7I8kdjTa
while I personally wouldn't use the 4x image, scaling it down to 50%, or even back to the initial resolution is definitely an improvement over the original page.

yo!

Did you just yo! me because I'm racecar johnny?