Haven’t read the books, and didn’t think about this until now...

Haven’t read the books, and didn’t think about this until now. Why did they need to speak an Elvish word to enter Moria when the Dwarves and Elves have an established history of hating each other?

Attached: 123-12-1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 80.52K)

to throw off anyone trying to enter

The door predates dwarves and elves hating each other. The dwarves started to hate the elves BECAUSE they thought they were friends, but the elves didn't come to their aid in their hour of need. They put up that door between elf and dwarf lands and specifically went out of their way to remind the elves that they are their friends.

Dwarves take friendship very seriously, and they take betrayal even more seriously.

Is this true or headcanon? Because tolkein is autistic if he put that much detail into a door.

The entire reason there is a door there in the first place is because it was a trade route for the elves to use back when elves were really good friends with dwarves, before even Sauron tried to take over Middle Earth the first time.

Also, I kind of misspoke because the main reason all elves hate each other was actually from before elves didn't help the dwarves, the first big fuckup was over some jewelry.
The elves had this super special gemstone called the Silmaril, and the dwarf king was a greedy cunt who wanted it, so he made a necklace fitting for the Silmaril but then wouldn't give it to the elves because he wanted the jewels for himself, so the dwarves and elves got pissed at each other over it and had a bloody war

Neat

Also, as long as we're being autistic, take note of the design of the doors of durin itself
A dwarven crown and hammer and anvil for dwarves
two trees and the symbole of the House of Fëanor for elves.

It's partially true but also partially incorrect.
The Dwarves and Elves had issues in the very beginning (Elves used to hunt Dwarves like wild animals) and then they made up and there were several ups and downs after that (some killing over a necklace with a Silmaril in it, some alliances, etc). Those doors were made during a period when they were generally on good terms again (the early/mid-second age) by Celebrimbor (an elf of Eregion) and Narvi (a dwarf of Moria) .
By the time of the 3rd Age (main Lord of The Rings series, when we see the doors) they were in another "cool" period. Not openly hostile or anything, but not on great terms either. They still fought on the same side against Sauron and all that though.

Attached: Nauglamír.jpg (700x335, 130.67K)

Completely redeems hacksons gimli /legolas bromance. Deepest lore.

>Completely redeems hacksons gimli /legolas bromance.
No need to redeem pure kino.

Attached: Gimli Legolas meme.png (607x756, 808.71K)

No, it's the history of Elves and Dwarves. He didn't make the lore just for that door. The door is there to remind the readers that the current hostilities between dwarves and elves that we see at the council was not always how it was. Congrats, user. You got filtered by a fucking door.

Attached: 1430275895317.jpg (480x480, 44.86K)

What's to stop a smelly homeless man from watching the elves go in, following behind them, saying the password, and then smearing shit all over the walls of Khazad-Dum?

Tolkisn is a hack.

All this sounds cool, just wish there was a line or two delving into some of this stuff in the movie.

Jackson didn't invent the bromance, it was 100% canon, he just made it look kino

Attached: 27b20b1e-5fee-42b7-a0a5-4794a921df90_text.gif (400x165, 805.9K)

Even a homeless man with a Cloak of Invisibility would not be able to stay stealthed from Elves. They would hear his breathing and know he is there following him.

frankly this
autistic lore-delving isn't really necessary, you understand the races have issues, yes? The lore just explains the details of why, the point is that they overcome it.

Their bromance is even more played up in the books you absolute fucking brainlet. There's about 4 or 5 pages of them walking to Isengard after Helms Deep just talking about all the fun things they want to do together after the War of the Ring if they're both still alive. I'm not even making this up.

After Aragorn dies they both sail to Valinor together as well.

>I can't make the jump toss meh
i don't remember that in the books you overly hostile screen addicted nigger

I miss when elves were OP in mainstream high fantasy. Even Jackson went out of his way to murder a bunch of them at Helm's Deep when no such thing happened in the books.

I always had fun as a kid imagining Gimli and Legolas checking out Valinor and being totally not gay with each other for eternity.

Yes, but I can see how others who haven't read the books could have started asking questions about why this Dwarven mine requires an Elven password to get in: the two groups established to hate each other. Could be a simple fix, like a line where Gandalf says that this door was made long ago when the two were friends, but no more (and then Frodo could maybe solve the riddle from that explanation).

well if you're gonna call somebody "hackson" for faithfully adapting the bromance lore expect to get called out mate

>tolkein is autistic if he put that much detail into a door.
yeah that's kind of his thing bro

Attached: 1642439606114.jpg (400x347, 23.49K)

>I can't make the jump toss meh
That has literally nothing to do with Legolas and Gimli's bromance you goalpost moving, fart sniffing, pants shitting, rectally ravaged dumbfuck.

just taking the piss. love me trilogy, love me bromance. carry on.

Or don't be a brainlet and use your imagination. Part of the appeal with the LotR was there was tons of stuff that was only alluded to and never fully explained until decades later when Christopher published the Silmarillion. But even then there are still plenty of mysteries.

I mean, elves can still die though. There was nothing wrong with the Helm's Deep change, it showed the Free People's coming together in a plot-relevant location. I supposed they could have cut away to the war in the north or something for the same effect, but if they didn't do this it would look like men did everything alone.

redditnigger insults. an hero.

Attached: 1662501620571600.gif (320x180, 682.06K)