When Tuvok, the black Star Trek Vulcan, was introduced: Nobody complained...

When Tuvok, the black Star Trek Vulcan, was introduced: Nobody complained. So why does everybody all of a sudden have a problem with Black dwarfs, elves, and Targaryens?

Attached: Tuvok,_2293.jpg (438x448, 137.06K)

Tuvok wasn't the first black Vulcan, dumbass. The first black Vulcans were a priestess in Star Trek III and a midwife in Star Trek V.

Oh lawd

Attached: 1419390100728.gif (265x200, 1.82M)

black elves are a bit controversial. something about an old fat white man having unpaid black workers just doesn't sit well with most modern audiences

Oldfag here. I used to go to Star Trek conventions in the early 90's (you may know my story about being fondled by Marina Sirtis). There sure as shit were fags who bitched about a black Vulcan.

because star trek is a reflection of contemporary society and tuvok was half nigger and half vulcan. it wasn't an universe that is explicitly a parody of the english countryside and that already had colored people just as servants of the dark lord

Attached: Jenny_Dolfen_-_Until_the_world_is_broken_and_remade.jpg (678x900, 74.28K)

>you may know my story about being fondled by Marina Sirtis
I don't. Care to share?

Wouldn't they just be from some Vulkan equivalent of Africa? That's a whole planet though.

Elves and dwarfs are white. Make your own mythology, bike-thieves.

because vulcans need to travel interstellar distances to be part of the story anyway so travel from a black area is easy
in lord of the rings any unseen black character would have to travel on foot for thousands of miles for no reason at all other than to farm in different fields
the targaryen thing is more about show lore that they were supposed to have interbred with this white family and have it be unnoticeable, plus there's a question of paternity later that isn't really a question if one parent is black

I found the greentext
>be me
>be twelve year old trekkie at local Star Trek convention that's happening at a hotel walking distance from my house
>go every day to every event, signing and merch booth
>spiner doing signing
>everyone lines up for Data
>see Counselor Troi sitting behind a table by herself
>go over and say hi
>proceeds to have me sit on her lap
>says I'm a handsome young man
>bitch is hugging me, kissing my hair, rubbing my shoulders
>she asks me what her favorite Troi moments are
>mumble something about Tin Man and eating ice cream
>she cackle-laughs and I realize she's completely drunk
10/10 made me a fan for life and I love the character. She was thin, hot and tan like in pic related

Attached: Greek Tan and the Great Riverboat Captain.webm (960x720, 2.95M)

Because they weren't rubbing it in our face back then. But you're right, Star Trek was always woke.

I know Michael Malice does a lot

because star trek makes up shit as it goes along while tolkien has established lore based on anglo-saxon mythology

this should be obvious

Makes me sad no one was lined up for her. I would have been.

what did she smell like?

Attached: download (1).jpg (225x225, 6.88K)

I can only speak for my self. The reason I don't mind Tuvok is that the original creator had a hand in it unlike LOTR where it is co-opted by activists. The black valyrians are a different story since it's allegedly GRRM approved but still go against what he wrote. I think he just doesn't care because he getting paid regardless.

Rich lady perfume, but too much of it.

tuvok is his own character. durin isnt married to a black dwarf. there are no black dwarves. there are no black elves. the targs are literally described in books. a subplot is about a baby and if its the black guys or the white guys. doesnt make too much sense now that hes balck, right? targs are all purple eyed, white haired people. its a specific trait like swedes and the blond blue eyed pale people with weird gaunt scandanavian look. if you put black heimdall in their lore, its fucking retarded.

>The reason I don't mind Tuvok is that the original creator had a hand in it
Gene Roddenberry was long dead by the time Tuvok was thought up.

could you smell the booze on her breath?

tuvok sucks

You're right, but as this user pointed out he wasn't the first and Gene was alive back then

I didn't have a lot of first hand experience with alcohol at the time but like I told she was wearing too much perfume.

tucock is based

You're right and the guy you're responding to is probably wrong, but Gene did have a hand in establishing that black Vulcans were a thing. I doubt that's what he meant though.

There already was black representation in the lord of the rings setting. Orcs.

Elves were created under star light and were milky white due to that. They had nothing but the dark sky of the stars for thousands of years until they were lead to the tree in Valinor. Its why the Elves has such a fascination with the stars and anything that reflects it like the Silmarrilion.

Vulcans are an alien concept in science fiction. Not a European ancient and medieval fantasy world

EVERYBODY complained. But since the internet was relatively new, the complaints never spread beyond isolated message boards.

By the time Voyager was on the air for a few years, the complaints had died down.

That's the problem with the modern internet: social media turns small things that would have last a few days into giant things that last forever.

I deleted my social media (instagram, Facebook, twitter, etc) years ago and life is so much better.

If we all just got rid of social media, these ridiculous "controversies" wouldn't dominate our lives.

Ive read a few convention stories like that. especially in 87-89, How they were at shows and had very little interest. Imagine being an early fan and getting to talk one on one with most of the cast back then

Is it not obvious, Captain?

Vulcans living near the Vulcan equator could have developed more melanized skin. Making ‘black’ Vulcans possible.

However, elves in Tolkien’s legendarium were all awakened in darkness. Dwarves spend most of their lives underground. Therefore no African looking persons from those races can exist.

It is logical, Captain, Eminently logical.

Why the had to make tuvok so "street" i'll never know.

Attached: download (7).jpg (201x251, 5.72K)

Your opinion is noted, Ensign.

To be fair their planet is usually depicted as dry and extremely hot. Not quite desert but more arid like much of Africa so them being black makes more sense.