Not sure if this happened to anyone else growing up, but during my high school days Donnie Darko was very popular...

Not sure if this happened to anyone else growing up, but during my high school days Donnie Darko was very popular, yet when anyone would talk about it it was never about the plot/what it was about, it was always a conversation of the quips or the 'Frank spooky and mysteries.' or the 80s music/setting.
Only in the last several years did I personally try to understand the film. I believe I figured it out and this website confirmed many of my ideas. donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/
And personally, I think it is one of the better sci/fi fantasy plots ever made. It is astounding someone so young even got the chance to make such a unique experience. There is an interesting documentary on the film I suggest you check out. It's just strange to me that I never have had discussions about the actual film with anyone before, and I wanted to make this thread asking if you have actually talked to people about it, and if you haven't gone about understanding the film I think you should take an evening to do so.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (960x540, 49.31K)

Southland Tales was better

I liked that too. Very prophetic

Was Donnie, Jesus?

Attached: merry.png (1480x1012, 1.91M)

The movie is hood but the discussions are the most soi plebbit cringe retardation i have ever seen

Just shut the fuck up

What discussions? I made this thread because I have never seen it discussed once.

dont mind them. they are triggered because they dont understand the time travel aspect

Attached: LIQUID.jpg (2400x1600, 405.38K)

>it was never about the plot/what it was about, it was always a conversation of the quips or the 'Frank spooky and mysteries.' or the 80s music/setting
This is how it was for every high school, artfags posting "sTuPiD mAn SuIt!!! omg!!!!" memes on Myspace because they couldn't get through the entire thing, same deal with Scanner Darkly

that's one reason it took me so long to watch it in high school, i thought that's all it was but someone encouraged me to give it a go because of how weird it was and i ended up loving the movie.

Go suck a fuck OP. Faggot

Yeah this and clockwork orange are what got me through my high school edgy phase. Still don't really know what the plot is too this movie, but don't really care. It just looks and feels good.

>Still don't really know what the plot is too this movie, but don't really care. It just looks and feels good.
this is what I am talking about. The apathy to understand it. You should care because it's unironically really interesting.

I agree. The OP post even reads like some 19 year old's Reddit post.

I don't read any online interpretations because I have my own idea that I like.
Also this movie is really good at depicting that phase in adolescence when you're "smart but troubled," I found it very relatable to my own teen years.

i posted in a similar thread the other day about how richard kelly is a hack who stole the screenplay for this and southland tales from his dead friend and some user went full gangstalker schizo and accused me of having posted about this fact a bunch of times previously, which i had not done. i will bring kelly's thievery up again now not because i feel particularly strongly about kelly's actions but because i know the other user is in this thread now and i know it will annoy him.

class of 08 here
i really bought into donnie being an edgelord during the fear and love thing, but now that im older i realize she was fucking right.
fear and love.
donnie was being a sensitive pseud teenager, which is okay because he's a young man and figuring things out while dealing with some crazy shit. but staying in that mentality/emotional state long past adolescence is a sign of arrested development and mental illness. not that the entire movie is cynical or a dig against one ideology or belief or anything, but ultimately how other people interpret these messages is what lasts longest.

tl;dr DD either turned you into a pseud or a free thinker

>richard kelly is a hack who stole the screenplay for this and southland tales from his dead friend
I would like to know more about this

here you go, user:
crazydaysandnights.net/2017/02/today-blind-items-curse-of-stolen-script.html

Just watch the director's cut. It fucks up the pacing beyond belief, but it spoon feeds the plot to you.

This is interesting but anyone can write a few paragraphs and just claim these things. It would make sense if true though

I grew up in the 80s and the movie captures it perfectly: prosperity and a sense of impending doom.

I was also in that thread, it brought up some good points. Donnie Darko works best when you see it as a strange dark comedy about miserable people in suburbia. The director's cut however pretends like it's some esoteric high art that you need a genius IQ to appreciate so Richard Kelly emphasizes all the stupid time travel and alternate dimension shit while sacrificing the elements that really made the theatrical cut work. Richard Kelly didn't understand what made his only successful film appealing so now its fans only talk about the shitty time travel theories all these years later when that's the least interesting aspect of it.

watched this on VHS back in the day with a bunch of friends and after it was over we all wanted to watch it again. that literally never happens.

>so now its fans only talk about the shitty time travel theories all these years later when that's the least interesting aspect of it.
They literally do not talk about that. That is exactly WHY I made this thread, to talk about it, which still no one has.