What exactly is the point of representation in movies?

what exactly is the point of representation in movies?

like, do minorities really have it easier to relate with a certain character, if the character is black? is the skin color everything that makes a black person able to relate to a character? it the skin color really the defining trait?

Attached: game-of-thrones-dany-controversial-image.jpg (1200x675, 166.24K)

Yeah, I am subhuman brown manlet, how can I relate for examble to an aryan god like Dolph Lundgren?

As a black person, it's quite amusing that i myslef don't give a fuck about white people being in everything i watch, only for white people to lose their shit when they have to look at a brown person on their screens now.

I have no idea. Peter Parker is a well known character .many Nerds all over world looks at him as their representation. His entire character ris inspiring for many irrespective of their differences.
But then we have to introduce half black and half Latino spiderman just for representation in spiderman.

I am sure many black comic readers likes Peter more than miles.
But cultural/region representative is good.because they can deal with specific problems. Like Luke cage and Harlem. Spideman and manhatten etc.

That's why Squid Game failed in the States; Americans want to see characters that Look Like Them.

It's about practices in the industry itself, demonstrating you're committed to social justice by hiring the right percentage of the right kinds of people, etc. The films/stories are secondary, in-universe logic can always be bent or ignored for the sake of the metanarrative. It's typical post-modern thinking.

You don't have to dig deep to figure out it's all about money and fame. No one gives a fuck about getting a role in independent films for instance because there's no promise of money. But tack on a multimillion dollar budget and you'll get all the (((movie agents))) riled up about how there's no representation and why their horse should be in the race.

They do have someone look like them with accurate portrayal of common American.

This. It's just virtue signalling even if it makes absolutely no sense at all in the context of the show's setting. I'm not an amerimutt but they're obsessed with race so maybe they can't relate to a character without the actor being the same race as them.

>do minorities really have it easier to relate with a certain character, if the character is black?
Not quite that simple, I think. While it is tempting to chalk it up to people being literal Hylics, a quote from one of the Rangs defense articles really stood out to me as an example of the mindset
>"I, Ava, have loved Tolkien’s work for much of my life, but as a woman of color, it’s hard to rewatch the movies and not see a single person that looks remotely like me. While there are characters in which I see parts of myself, how am I supposed to know that the messages within the story apply to me without seeing someone that looks like me?"
It isn't that the people who think like this can't relate - it's more like there is a barrier between them and the thematic meaning without making it explicitly racial. The common thread to a shared humanity is only interpreted through race consciousness, or something like that.

>Emilia
>white
Pick one

Ask /tvpol/ why they care whenever a show has black or brown people. Those feelings of disenfranchisement that elicit non stop whining are what PoC have been going through for decades and 90% of media today. So no, I think you understand perfectly. You just don’t like being on the other end even a little bit.

Go back.

If it were about "representation," there would be more latinos in films/shows. Or if they were trying to appeal to a global audience, they would put more Asians in these films/shows. It is really just about Jewish guilt over slavery. There is nothing wrong though with representation though. Just make white films/shows for white people and make black films/shows for black people.

to remind you their new injunctions on social values are needed which is just a catch-22 self-fulfilling prophecy

are you aware of the new problem that causes us to hate you if you disagree?
yes? that means you love our solution and more is better
no? that means you need our solution more

>PoC

Are you a fucking "PoC"? Because I am and it's really fucking offensive to lump every non-white race as one group. That's what you're doing by using "PoC". It's like you're saying the only groups are white and non-white.
You think you're not a racist? You're fucking worse than the racists because you claim not to see race but the truth is you do see non-whites but apparently there's no difference between them.
Fucking newfag reddit niggers writing their fucking garbage opinions. I have like 90% of this board filtered and the remaining threads are still shit. Don't even reply to my post because this thread is entering the void.

Non white here. No. I want to watch movies with good stories, skin color doesn't matter but it does make me vomit when I see too many niggers and browns

>Be me, Mexican in Mexico
>See pink grinGoys fighting with grinGoys negros about representation
>i don't give a shit, because being "latino" is not a real race.
>be happy.

Attached: 1600703536970.gif (112x112, 100.01K)

I relate more to White's. Is it really that hard to understand

It’s not that they relate more to characters of the same skin color. For example, a lot of blacks say they hate Corlys Velaryon because he tried to barter off his toddler daughter to an old white man for political purposes. Velaryon’s black son is a cuckold. They aren’t meant to be related to.

It’s more about what it implies when everyone is white in every popular TV show. They aren’t deaf to the people who say they don’t want to see people of color on television. Racist ideology reaches their ears loud and clear, they get it. So when casting choices are 99% beautiful white people, and those are the shows that get all the viewership and funding, it does seem an awful lot like racism! If you wonder why that is, spend a few moments reading posts on this site & you’ll see why!

Attached: white savior webm.webm (1920x1080, 3M)

I love this scene. The vanity and delusion of liberal white women on full display.

Go to reddit, they wouæd be more accommodating to your triggered ass.