DUNE

Did Dune already surpass Star Wars? Part Two is unstoppable.

Attached: DUNE-Fan-Poster-LowRes.jpg (1067x1600, 808.5K)

A new hope is by far a better movie than this shit.

DUNC is certainly better than any Star Wars content of the last decade, but that's a low bar.

why is there a giant asshole on the poster? i've never seen dune or read the books

I actually really liked Part One of Dune when I watched it but on looking back, nothing about it stands out in my memory. It left barely any trace in my mind. Lynch's Dune is absolute shit as an adaptation of the book, but it is very memorable. Villenueve's Dune is pretty decent as an adaptation of the book, but nothing about it really stands out to me, it's kind of just ok. The world still waits for a Dune adaptation that is both a faithful adaptation and a memorable movie.

this is true op is a fag
but im actually hyped for dune numero dos cus part 1 had such great world building imo
the soundtrack was also insane and visuals were cool

I didn’t give a fuck at all about the story or characters. I only enjoyed DUNC because I saw it in IMAX and it looked cool.

If Star Wars had no sould, then yes, dune is already better.

This. It might eventually be a better experience if one has read the book (I haven't) and you watch parts 1 and 2 together and get the complete story.
But as a standalone product, part 1 felt like a gigantic "whatever"

I liked it. I wouldn't make anyone else watch it.

Its world building is epic.

>implying some gay rip off of Star Wars without any of what makes Star Wars good is better than Star Wars
Nah

I think Lynch's whispery inner monologues were actually the right way to go, they communicated the characters' inner thoughts while also helping to add a certain eerie strangeness and alienness to the movie. I don't know why so many people criticized that choice. I think that audible character thoughts like that would actually have made Villenueve's Dune better but the thing is, even if he wanted to use them he would not have been able to without immediately seeming like he was copying Lynch's version. Lynch's version was a very unfaithful book adaptation but it really sticks in the mind, with the whispery thought-monologues, the 19th century military-style outfits and weird headpieces, the ornate set design, the ludicrously over-the-top Baron, the Toto soundtrack, the sandworm riding with a massive guitar riff, etc. Villenueve kinda played it safe, it seems - I appreciate that he adapted the book much more faithfully than Lynch did, but his version of Dune just seems really generic and kind of empty. Like, you actually get to see Arrakeen, which is nice, but it looks like a bunch of empty buildings with hardly any people anywhere. The soundtrack is kinda just generic Middle Easterney wailing. The acting is good but none of it really sticks out, even Patrick Stewart charging into battle in the first movie is more memorable even though he was in the movie for like 10 minutes at most. The set design is kinda mostly just huge angular slabs of stone and metal, although I do like the massiveness of the ships and the design of the ornithopters. It's competent filmmaking and obviously a lot of effort went into it but there's no real spark in it.

>Lynch's Dune is absolute shit as an adaptation of the book
You know who disagrees with you? Frank Herbert.

What's that big anus in the cover?

Attached: 1658510776748481.jpg (679x516, 28.88K)

What world building? I don't understand. Practically nothing was conveyed with the way the Universe of Dune is constructed- its society, its technological limitations, its political structure, its economic structure- none of it is shown. You have big, beautiful euclidean geometric shapes on Caladan and in space and then you arrive on Arrakis and it's entirely flat-grey scale. No scenes of the lively, vibrant, loud streets of the Arrakeen market. No mention of the Harkonnen artificial city of Carthago, no incredible shots to show the 'true beauty' of the planet as Duncan Idaho insists exists to Paul in the film... What in the fuck, precisely, did Denis build in terms of world-building in DUNC Part 1? His graphic designers didn't even bother to finish the aerial shots of Arrakeen.

Dune 2 should have cast Sarah Gadon as Irulan.

Well, I have to disagree with Frank Herbert about that. Lynch's Dune loses the plot points of how Paul's path was cleared by Bene Gesserit social engineering of the Fremen and how Paul sees that he is headed towards becoming the figurehead of a murderous jihad and it disgusts him. Instead of that, Lynch just gives us a very stereotypical "hero's journey" kind of plot about how a good, plucky prince avenges his father's death and becomes the new ruler of the world.

The scenery, music, the Gom Jabbar scene, and Harkonnen throat music stands out for me, but in a way you're sort of right only because David Lynch's Dune is so off the wall bonkers.

>What's that big anus in the cover?
That's not an anus. That is Zendaya.

DUNC is just Star Wars for zoomers, fun Hollywood blockbuster but it will never be able to adapt the books properly because that is basically impossible.