Why was Saving Private Ryan more popular? This was by far the better war movie that year

Why was Saving Private Ryan more popular? This was by far the better war movie that year.

Attached: the thin red line.jpg (733x1102, 94.11K)

saving private ryan was epic action movie directed by an overrated jew

the second half of that movie was the most boring garbage i've ever seen

seethe incel

Saving Private Ryan was made for the casual audience so it appeals to a wider crowd. The Thin Red Line requires more thinking to appreciate so it doesn't appeal to as many people.

yes i will sneethe

It really wasnt. I would say they were on par with each other. Saving Private Ryan was a straight up
>Nazi bad, USA good, look at all these atrocities, USA goooooood

and The Thin Red Line suffered from being written by Malick who for the life of him cant make a movie without shoving his high school poetry in every scene. It's a "prettier" movie than Saving Private Ryan, but it's alot less black and white than the aforementioned.

Which americans dont like.
>america goooooood

Not to mention that Malick fucked over so many actors and producers making this film that nobody wanted to do any PR for it.

Explain the themes in TTRL

>Not to mention that Malick fucked over so many actors and producers making this film
genuinely based, wish he killed some of them

Nobody watches a war film to see a dude living with an indigenous tribe, focusing on light passing through leaves for 45 fucking minutes while you wait to get back to the war on the hill which I the good part of the movie.

If the film didn't diverge and go full on head up it's own ass it would have been great.

The nature of man duuuuude
>what is man
>where is man
>why am I in a jungle
>oh shit nips shoting at me
>nevermind
>why does my ass itch

I don't know. After watching Saving Private Ryan I was just kind like okay, there was a lot of action and it was entertaining. But it didn't stick with me long.

I thought about The Thin Red Line a long time after I watched it. It stayed with me longer and made a bigger impact.

>Not to mention that Malick fucked over so many actors and producers making this film that nobody wanted to do any PR for it
Quick run down? Or a full run down if you have the time.

My grandfather fought at Guadalcanal and preferred Thin Red Line. Maybe it's because Ryan was aimed toward what people wanted to see rather what soldiers actually go through. I'm sure the fact that he owned Days of Heaven on VHS had nothing to do with it.

when exactly did you watch SPR and thin red line?

Not all war films have to be action all the time. The Thin Red Line is a slow burn that stays with you for a long time. I didn't think about Saving Private Ryan after I got done watching it.

iirc adrien brody was a major character in the movie and malick ended up cutting his character almost entirely, making brody seethe

One was arthouse/experimental, the other is straightforward and predictable, literally meant to appeal to mass audiences. Why do you think it did better?

I watched SPR the year it came out. Didn't get to Watch The Thin Red Line until about 10 years after it came out. Even then I remembered I wasn't impressed much by SPR. Sure it had great action but it didn't stick with me the way TTRL did.

I'll agree that TTRL has aged better than SPR, mainly because SPR became the victim of it's own success and became copied and parodied to death.

It's sort of trying to understand why The Beatles was such a big deal listening to them for the first time in 2022. Just sounds like a bunch of guys playing guitar and some weird instruments in the background, but that's because they shaped the music that came after them so much that they've lost the freshness they once had.

Because The Thin Red Line is about the nature of good and evil, the nature of man, about faith, redemption, life and death - it's very existential. It's actually a movie about war being le bad and man's place in all of it.

Saving Private Ryan is a spectacle theme park ride that paints all of that garbage heroic and glorifies action, while at the same time dehumanizing the opposing side, of course because they are le nazis, thus desensitizing goyims for future conflicts, because we = unequivocally good, thus killing for us is acceptable, they = bad, thus they can be killed without any qualms.

TTRL is for thinking people. SPR is for cattle.

Attached: 1640963033399.jpg (5750x2943, 3.4M)

and george clooney, john cusack, john travolta who had prominent parts in the film, but was cut down to 1-3 minute long scenes.
And mickey rourke who was completely cut from the film.

Ttrl is the definition of "try hard"

Not to mention the lens flares in SPR I mean what the fuck was Spielberg thinking it looks like a shitty Skyrim enb

Attached: 8EAD6F3E-09EF-4F8A-8782-7330599B0A0B.jpg (720x720, 75.95K)

Pretty much this, not surprising SPR is more popular than The Thin Red Line.

i think it's a shame when someone like david lynch kind of messes around actors in the name of his art, because the actors he works with are usually really entertaining, but malick fucking around these overrated A list drama queen stars is hilarious

There was nothing in the war movies like SPR before it, that's why it did better. Of course it is also all the other things mentioned here, but for the most part it gave me a sensory overload at the theater.

Thin Red Line huffs its own farts and loves it. Maybe if it had come out a year before and Malick had done a better editing job it would have had better success.

This the film where woody harrelson blows his own ass off with a grenade? This film is trash, theres plenty better war films. Americans dont have many auteurs so they latch onto mid garbage and praise hacks like Malick and Lynch. I dont want your (you)s I'm just stating fax.

Malick and Lynch are far greater artists than the vast majority of european auteurs, and all japanese ones.

Reddit: the war movie

>muh malik
>muh burden of man
>muh eternal struggle of the soul

malikfags are the worst

we will ever see a 5 hour director's cut?

>Because The Thin Red Line is about the nature of good and evil, the nature of man, about faith, redemption, life and death - it's very existential. It's actually a movie about war being le bad and man's place in all of it.
The Thin Red Line is neither of those things. It's just pleasant ADR prose over scenes of war. Never does Malick ever explore any of these themes, put them up against each other, contrast our own sense of justice against the axis powers. Never in the entire film. The best he manages are some shots in the japanese base, that's as close as he gets.

Spielberg managed that alot better with the german prisoner scene than Malick did in his entire movie.
I love the film and I think it's overall a better film than saving private ryan, but never again argue that the film is in any shape or form, deep. It just makes you look stupid.

>but never again argue that the film is in any shape or form, deep.
the film is deep because it respects that the viewer already understands the nature of war and doesn't need to beat the viewer over the head with the notion of differing situations

Malick is a hack, and I'm so sick of having to act otherwise. Same slow ass nature shots in every fucking movie. It's like he never grew out of his art school phase.