Does David Lynch have any competitors in the ability to create such surreal evil and dread?

Does David Lynch have any competitors in the ability to create such surreal evil and dread?
Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but he really seems to be in touch with pure primordial evil and it scares me deeply
Yet he's also able to create such a strong feeling of sanctity and love for example with Briggs
Any thoughts?
I read that he does transcendental meditation and that you need to pay a lot of money to get into that, it's almost cult like
Do you think maybe that's where the energy is coming from?

Attached: 1631801383444.jpg (1125x1500, 467.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0G_LW8NzolU&ab_channel=sl4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not really "surreal" per se but grandrieux edges him out in terms of creating an ambiance of evil and dread. watch sombre or la vie nouvelle.

Donuts are terrible

I'm learning French atm so maybe one day I'll watch them
I feel like there's a difference between creating that ambience with already dark subject matters verses relatively mundane or strange ones

>Yet he's also able to create such a strong feeling of sanctity and love for example with Briggs
Briggs is all Frost, that whole dream scene was written by him and used verbatim on the spot

I don't know anyone else who can play the audiences emotions like piano strings using absurd/nonsensical/primal scenes that make no rational sense. They just reach in and evoke those emotions. That's why the "plots" and meanings of scenes are meaningless with his work. If he needs you to feel a certain flavor of unease at a certain moment he drops something in that does it.

Thanks user, that's an interesting and helpful way to put it into words
Oh ok so he's just evil then

Which Lynch's movie should I watch tonight?

>Oh ok so he's just evil then
no he isn't, I just pointed out specifically that Frost deserves credit for writing Briggs.

Lynch has directed a lot of beautiful scenes too

Yeah fair enough
I liked the final scene of mulholland drive with the faces lit up with lights, that was beautifully tragic
Did Frost write the Tibet scene by any chance btw?

the rock throwing scene? I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd say that was all Lynch

Dale Cooper is based on Lynch, I'd say he's a swell guy.

blue velvet or mulholland drive

David Lynch can always find his way to the moral highground
capta: iobyfyrtm

Attached: firemancheese.jpg (992x2400, 709.93K)

Kaufman > Lynch

Attached: Charlie Kaufman.jpg (2000x1333, 376.77K)

can't stand watching his insecurities unfold

I can because I share them. Nic Cage in Adaptation was more literally me than any character I've ever seen.

David Lynch is just an incredibly perceptive person who has probably witnessed a lot of evil in life and is able to intuitively understand what it is and where it comes from but he seems like a very good person at heart and you can feel this in all his movies despite how sick and twisted they are

youtube.com/watch?v=0G_LW8NzolU&ab_channel=sl4

david lynchad

Attached: seed_739334_00001.png (448x896, 457.29K)

What are the purest and most benevolent feeling moments in lynch’s filmography?

end of FWWM

Attached: ffwm.jpg (1280x720, 110.2K)

end of inland empire

Already seen the Blue Velvet so that leaves Mulholland Drive