David Chase and Matthew Weiner have said it’s their favorite show and I’m really having a tough time understanding...

David Chase and Matthew Weiner have said it’s their favorite show and I’m really having a tough time understanding why. The Sopranos is a realistic drama with great psychological insights… Twin Peaks is certainly not that. The characters are cardboard archetypes that exist to serve the narrative (but that’s part of the charm! you say. I don’t care), the cinematography is extremely limited by the TV budgets of the time, and the humor is le zany wacky reddit shit
>Isn’t so quirky?!
>isn’t it so le surreal?!
Point being, it’s “dated.” I know people have a problem with that term, but the thing is, the movies of the 90s were not the formative works of their medium the way TV and vidya were. Comparing TV and vidya nostalgia to other media nostalgia is a false equivalency and only illustrates why games and TV of this age should be critically reassessed.

I guess my point is, I don’t understand why Chase and Weiner cite this as their primary influence. I should think they’d be influenced by Goodfellas and the mob movies of the time, because unlike Twin Peaks, The Sopranos is very cinematic.
>”it felt more like real life to me than real life” Chase said
Genuinely an absurd opinion, it’s a melodrama, and melodramas are based in heightened, unrealistic emotion. It’s okay if you like that, but it is NOT anything like real life.

Attached: BDCAEFE4-4458-4899-A15C-AE25E2D6268C.jpg (230x345, 30.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't get why they can't have a favorite show that is different than the one they made.

also some of the dream sequences were definitely inspired by Lynch

youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

It’s the first tv show that actually took tv somewhat seriously and tried to be artistic instead of retarded mind numbing shitty soap operas like everything else was at the time. It was instrumental as first step to TV eventually being seen as potentially meaningful as movies. Anyone who wrote shows afterwards would’ve admired it simply for that, because every modern TV show owes itself to Twin Peaks.

filtered and LYNCHED

Episodes like the test dream and the Finnerty saga are definitely inspired by Twin Peaks

Looks like Lynch filtered another pleb

What a cope of a rebuttal faggot

Tldr you got Lunched.

Flynchered

Lynch is such a perfectly sincere artist. He has so much soul your autistic minf goes “whats so smart about this gay bullshit”. You dont even realize he’s god damn channeling the universe, and if you could do the same you’d go make a movie on your phone that makes people laugh and cry and love to be alive, but you can’t so even with all the time in the world and infinite resources you’d churn out shit.

>“whats so smart about this gay bullshit”
Holy shit this. It's always pseud intellectuals having this problem. The show simply has soul and meta. The way it's designed as a parody of a soap opera with an actual meaning is what makes it intelligent.

?

What’s there to question

>”it felt more like real life to me than real life”

He makes this reference in one of the dream sequences in Sopranos when Tony and Carmela are watching a Western, a Christmas movie, and themselves on that small television on the kitchen top.

Just a lameass word to make up

of course a sopranostard cannot into TP

And you favorite show has the same acronym as toilet paper

Attached: 1622616884756.jpg (600x894, 52.74K)

Twin peaks season 1 is everything.Pure, soulful beauty

I think I'll smoke that cigarette. I brought a soda just so I could put the ashes and the butt in the can so as not to set the whole town of T.P. on fire. We call Twin Peaks T.P. in school sometimes. The world wipes its butt with T.P. Bobby Briggs says that the most. Then he pulls all the girls' hair and makes burping noises in our faces.

>cinematography is extremely limited by the TV budgets of the time
twin peaks is way better looking than sopranos what are you on