In real life he was a strong, well loved emperor

>in real life he was a strong, well loved emperor
>in the movie he's a detested, snivelling coward
Why did Joaquin do him dirty like this bros?

Attached: article-3217-rrcnfixq.jpg (690x518, 81.74K)

Who cares about real history
That's for gay nerds

You may not like it, but this is peak fashion.

disregarding history, which doesn't matter to me, the movie is still stupid and badly written

>Knock knock
whose there
>It’s the praetorians, maximus. Your wife and son have been crucified. They’re dead

Attached: A4B1BC32-7632-4A03-B3D3-E4633243BAD8.jpg (529x517, 29.19K)

fpbs
I enjoyed him in the movie. He did such a good job in it, that I hated him for years after watching it.
The only history people on this board will care about is movie and tv history. Even then it won’t be a universally loved topic. Learn from your mistake of posting here, stick to /hisherthem/. Those who don’t learn from their past are doomed to be called fags.

what the fuck are you talking about, commodus was loathed during his reign. stepping into the ring as a noble, let alome the EMPEROR was the social equivalent of the president doing a drag show, he was a disgrace to the purple. the common rabble only tolerated him because he upped the bread and circuses, almost bankrupting the state, btw, and the senatorial class and equites looked at him with disgust. not a great movie anyway, and I'm a sucker for anything roman.

So you’re telling me maximus didn’t actually exist irl? Wtf

This

Although desu every politician in Rome hated each other, and the love of the people was a fickle thing that only relied on what you produce for them in the moment, no fucks given to overall prosperity. “Love of the people” most overrated boon in history.

>Every single contemporaney source loathed him
>Had multiple assassination attempts on him
Lol no. Maybe he was popular with the arena peasants for his meme gladiator games involving dwarves and giant birds, but that's it

It would be basically the equivalent of Trump being involved wrestling match (while and not before being the President)

Attached: a2a219cc-7f50-11ea-86f8-d44fe07a4aac_1200x675.jpg (1200x675, 84.94K)

Actors don't write scripts, I really hope they cut your balls off when you go to hell

The Romans found Commodus's gladiatorial combats to be scandalous and disgraceful.[33] According to Herodian, spectators of Commodus thought it unbecoming of an emperor to take up arms in the amphitheater for sport when he could be campaigning against barbarians among other opponents of Rome. The consensus was that it was below his office to participate as a gladiator.[34] Popular rumors spread alleging he was actually the son, not of Marcus Aurelius, but of a gladiator whom his mother Faustina had taken as a lover at the coastal resort of Caieta.[35]

In the arena, Commodus's opponents always submitted to the emperor; as a result he never lost. Commodus never killed his gladiatorial adversaries, instead accepting their surrenders. His victories were often welcomed by his bested opponents, as bearing scars dealt by the hand of an Emperor was considered a mark of fortitude.[36] Citizens of Rome missing their feet through accident or illness were taken to the arena, where they were tethered together for Commodus to club to death while pretending they were giants.[37] Privately, it was also his custom to use deadly weapons to fight, murdering and maiming his opponents.[38][39] For each appearance in the arena, he charged the city of Rome a million sesterces, straining the Roman economy.

Commodus was also known for fighting exotic animals in the arena, often to the horror and disgust of the Roman populace. According to Cassius Dio, Commodus once killed 100 lions in a single day.[40] Later, he decapitated a running ostrich with a specially designed dart[41] and afterwards carried his sword and the bleeding head of the dead bird over to the Senators' seating area and motioned as though they were next.[42] Dio notes that the targeted senators actually found this more ridiculous than frightening, and chewed on laurel leaves to conceal their laughter.[43] On other occasions, Commodus killed three elephants on the floor of the arena by himself,and a giraffe

>not a great movie anyway

Attached: 1631784892877.png (1080x1236, 1.02M)

Commodus was strangled in his bath by his gay lover/"""Wrestling partner""""""

just sayin

>Ridley Scott's history epic
>Old times...le bad

commodus was a blatant homosexual

seethe and keep obsessing over jews more faggot

That's not true. You're too retarded to remember two sentences from a wiki article you've read 5 minutes ago.
just sayin

Isn't he the emperor who ordered like a hundred lions to the colloseum so he could just sit on top of a tower and shoot them all to death?

sauce it's wrong

Based sisters

Attached: E64927B3-0785-45B4-AA70-318B9E6C795A.jpg (828x417, 187.36K)

You haven't proved it's true so it's false by default, EL summernigger. Try reading a wiki article correctly next time.

>5 good emperors are all adopted talented men
>one guy to fuck it all up was his father's son

What did they mean by this?

>Later that year he became the youngest emperor and consul up to that point, at the age of 15. During his solo reign, the Roman Empire enjoyed reduced military conflict compared with the reign of Marcus Aurelius. Intrigues and conspiracies abounded, leading Commodus to revert to an increasingly dictatorial style of leadership, culminating in his creating a deific personality cult, with his performing as a gladiator in the Colosseum. Throughout his reign, Commodus entrusted the management of affairs to his palace chamberlain and praetorian prefects, named Saoterus, Perennis and Cleander.

Commodus's assassination in 192, by a wrestler in the bath, marked the end of the Nerva–Antonine dynasty.

It's not that far off desu

Wtf this dude was like the Roman version of The Mask

On the face of it I'd say the nobles looking down on him is just nobles being cunts as usual.. then you see "murdered random disabled citizens" and slaughtering what I'm 100% sure were chained animals...
>killed 100 lions but never drew a dime

Attached: 1651248280415.png (480x401, 288.35K)