Why did the Austin Powers series fail?

Attached: austin.gif (400x300, 1.98M)

All three movies combined box office made over 600 million dollars

They made 1 million dollars

Attached: DrEvil.jpg (578x258, 24.98K)

1 was great, 2 was good, 3 was pretty bad

you can't drag comedies on forever
the movies were great but it isn't necessary to make any more of them

By what fucking metric did it fail? Arguably the most successful and recognizable parody franchise ever, all 3 movies are good and they made a shitload of money

It’s kino

>do I make you randy baby?

Attached: C0901B0D-08DC-487E-AB0D-06E1D7254BB5.jpg (1024x771, 258.05K)

it didn't dough

>iconic characters
>timeless jokes
>made shitload of money

OP, you are retarded. Straight to page 10.

Has there ever once been a comedy movie trilogy where the third movie is good?

Everything that was good.. is now.. evil?

>I drive
He's just like me...

Attached: literally me.jpg (1920x808, 103.02K)

>used Elizabeth Hurley first
the movies had no chance of getting better after

faggot

Naked gun 3 was good and I’ll stand by it.

They were all good.

3 would have been good if they didn't get Beyonce. Both chicks in 1 and 2 could act and had more than one expression on their face. Just another one of those shirt castings where the execs are like "Mike, we will green light the movie but we need some popular celebrity to cross merchandise"

Austin Powers

>33 1/3
ftfy

True post.

Attached: 1306105070710.jpg (544x800, 226.41K)

There’s a comparison I think of when it comes to sequels that weren’t part of some planned out narrative. A movie is art but it’s also a consumer product. You don’t know what’s going to be successful until it debuts on the market. So imagine you make Coca Cola and everyone loves it but after a few years they say they want a “Coke 2”. You need to make a product that’s as good as the first and distinctly that kind of product but not the exact same product. It’s sort of this impossible puzzle because if you make it too different people will react negatively and if you make it too similar people will react negatively. The first Austin Powers is a fish out of water story. The second and third movie are kind of looser stories that exist to hang re-hashes of the gags in the first movie on. By the third movie it’s kind of played out

It didn't fail, it just ended.
I get that it sounds completely alien now in the era of endless sequels, remakes, reboots and spinoffs.