I've finally figured out why film nerds like him

All his films are just him going "Hey guys! Remember Kubrick? Remember Altman? Remember Hitchcock? Look at this [formal technique] I copied from said filmmakers, so cool and smart right? ;) ;)".

His films are basically Deadpool for cinephiles.

Attached: Cringe (1).jpg (1080x1440, 250.54K)

>His films are basically Deadpool for cinephiles.
Kek.

He peaked at There will be Blood/The Master and has been going downhill rapidly ever since.

Hard Eight - 79/100
Boogie Nights - 84/100
Magnolia - 83/100
Punch Drunk Love - 77/100
There will be Blood - 89/100
The Master - 85/100
Inherent Vice - 63/100
Phantom Thread - 65/100
Licorice Pizza - 55/100

His movies are engaging and well rounded, and a wide audience could like a variety of them. Stop being a contrarian fag. Everyone copies someone else a little unless you're a fucking caveman.

>muh copied
Every filmmaker copies something, but pulling it off is a different story. PTA pulls it off more than most but still it's a lot of nonsensical navel-gazing.

OP's spot on. at least tarantino knows how to steal and give the audience a show, this guy is just a faggot hack

magnolia > boogie nights > TWBB > punch-drunk love > sydney > the master > phantom thread > inherent vice > licorice pizza

Wasn't it Godard who said "It's not where it's taken from but where you take it to"? Either was I find PTA to be the dullest of these pastiche filmmakers. So he feels like a cheap copy than someone who's "inspired" by said cinema.

Either way*

Pretty much
He also likes to rip scenes out of lesser known films
He's basically like a slightly more upmarket Tarantino

His films don't feel like the work of an artist who has ideas or an aesthetic of his own to express, they feel like the work of a guy who wanted the social status that comes with being a Great Director and made a bunch of movies to facilitate him developing that reputation. Technical competence with no soul.

So you're saying he's a......dishonest filmmaker? That meme actually applies here?

I think so. At best he is to Kubrick and Altman what any generic studio director from Golden Age Hollywood who directed films in the bottom half of any top star of the era's Letterboxd page is to John Ford and Howard Hawks, at worst he's a fraud vacuously trying to make movies that will make IMDB top 250-level film fans sit slack jawed at and proclaim he's the heir to Kubrick.

The Master is the greatest movie of the 21st century.

and?

It wasn't even the best movie released that year.

>Deadpool for cinephiles
Unironically a positive thing. At least he is trying to live up to the masters instead of just janking out sh!t that pleases the crowds base reactions to pop culture.

Though i agree. Except for TWBB his movies are hollow after 30 minutes, an hour tops. I remember a lot of film people sperging out over Magnolia as some unprecedented masterpiece, back in HS film class. I never liked it. The notion that there are "higher meaning" to any of the connected parts is so superficial it hurts.
Inherent Vice is a guilty pleasure though.

>Inherent Vice
Because we aren't subjected to PTA's writing.

if i watched magnolia, boogie nights and TWBB and thought they were only decent but nothing really that good, should i watch any other of his movies?

Punch Drunk Love and Inherent Vice. That's about it.

there will be blood is better than any movie they made except eyes wide shut

t.midwit

Yes it was and it is the litmus test. Even more so than Mulholland Dr or The Irishman, which filter many people as well.

You're making blanket statements, give atleast one example if you're going to say something like that.

The Master is worth a watch but don't expect it to have any climactic payoff moment in the story. It's a weird, slow burn but has some good scenes.

OP, after browsing this thread I have concluded that you are a massive, contrarian, pseudo-intellectual faggot. You must be an insufferable person to be around, for many reasons. And to be clear, that's not for not liking PTA. It's who you are.

>Mulholland Dr or The Irishman, which filter many people as well.
Plebbit.

did Paul suffer some kind of brain injury recently?
what exactly was Licorice Pizza? holy shit...

Literally, just wish fulfillment for PTA. He had a crush on a Jewish chick as a kid.

/film/ is autism. Nobody really cares for lesser talents such as Agnes Varda, Bresson etc