When the hell did everyone start calling these VHS players?

When the hell did everyone start calling these VHS players?

Attached: HTB1B8VuajbguuRkHFrdq6z.LFXab.jpg (1500x1005, 106.25K)

VHS players played VHS tapes. VCRs were VHS players that could record VHS tapes.

at some point vhs made more sense than tapes

'94

I started telling zoomers they're called tape decks.

>Blu-ray player
>DVD player
>CD player
>tape player (audio)
>VCR
Surely you can understand why one of these is usually altered to match the pattern.

they had VHS players that weren't VCRs. calling every VHS player a VCR is like calling every DVD player a DVD-RW.

I've never seen a VHS player that wasn't a VCR in my life. It makes sense that they would exist, so I believe it, I've just never seen one.

I had one that was a VHS+DVD that wasn't able to record. I don't think the ones integrated in the TV itself could record either.

when the average normie became too lazy to program it to make recordings.

They didn't? They're video players/recorders.

looks like a vcr to me..zoomers have been ruining everything with their dumb shit.
I was trying forever to look up old Candle radios, come to realize these idiots were calling them JILs because of the logo

Attached: 1601186364943.png (800x387, 184.88K)

>I've never seen a VHS player that wasn't a VCR in my life. It makes sense that they would exist, so I believe it, I've just never seen one.
The players were less expensive than the VCRs that could record, I think about $100 less, or maybe 40%, which was actually enough money at the time to make it worthwhile, especially if you didn’t have cable so the broadcast signal wasn’t perfect to begin with, leaving no reason to bother recording.
The players also were less likely to break, and meant you could get a name brand with better picture quality.
If you wanted to copy VHS tapes such as rentals, a VHS player, and a separate VHS recorder could be used saving a bit of money, since you only needed to record on one of the units anyway.

Everyone still called them VCRs in spite of that.

Everyone called them VCRs. They played VHS or just tapes. Anyone trying to change that didnt experience it

I don't know a single person that didn't call them VHS players or just tape players.

This. They were called VCR's by literally everyone unless you were in some weird Midwest town or something.

You know what dude, I was born in the 80s and I'm into tech, and come to think of it, I've never seen one either. Even the bottom of the barrel ones could record.

This must be in Brazil or some shit where they still sell Sega Genesis brand new in stores and it's 2022

>tape players
Tape players is what we called audio cassette players. No one I know ever called VHS tapes just "tapes." They were "video tapes" where "tapes" implied audio tapes since those came first.

>when the average normie became too lazy to program it to make recordings.
VHS players and VCRs were available a decade or more before cable TV in some cities.
Unless you spent a bunch of money on fancy TV antennas and hired someone, or were competent to install it yourself on your roof, a lot of TV channels didn’t have the best reception, so recording stuff off TV was sort of pointless, unless you knew something was going to air that you specifically wanted, like your kid getting on the TV news.

Midwest town reporting, we called them VCRs.

When they noticed they all had [VHS] on them?
I only remember calling them VCRs.

Beta should had been the main format.

HD DVD should had won.

Japs call them VTRs. Video Tape Recorders.

Where I'm from they call them Toobie-Boxes.

We didn't want to be associated with those Beta bitches.

I called VHS tape players tape players and called cassette players cassette players. You're just mad you're not old enough to have experienced it.

>Unless you spent a bunch of money on fancy TV antennas and hired someone, or were competent to install it yourself on your roof, a lot of TV channels didn’t have the best reception, so recording stuff off TV was sort of pointless
You're forgetting that peoples' quality standards were much lower back then and reruns were either nonexistent or not guaranteed. We recorded from over the air any time we thought we might want to watch something again, particularly specials or those CBS miniseries. Sometimes we recorded stuff just because we wouldn't be home when it aired and we wanted to watch it later.

Is this the new 'mandela' that zoomers are going to try to push? It was called a VCR. Fucking nigger.

Attached: 1632622410268.jpg (639x747, 60.13K)

I'm just sharing my experience and how it differs from yours so you can understand your experience is not perfectly universal like you seem to think. The only one who sounds mad or defensive here is you.

Kill yourself zoomer filth