I had to kill my brother because... BECAUSE I HAD TO! OK!?

> I had to kill my brother because... BECAUSE I HAD TO! OK!?

Attached: main-qimg-9b372d7f9c2601dcbd9b4578100d49cf-lq.jpg (602x338, 21.43K)

It was never clear to me, was Fredo responsible for the attempted hit on Michael and his family due to Fredo intentionally betraying Michael or sheer incompetence, accidentally letting info slip to the enemy?

Incompetence but you'd have to think he knew at some level what they were planning so he's culpable. Nothing is really achieved by killing him though.

Attached: The-Godfather-Part-II-The-Final-Scene.png (1280x768, 1.34M)

He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time.

I have finally become The Godfather Part II

Great final shot.

>It was never clear to me, was Fredo responsible for the attempted hit on Michael and his family due to Fredo intentionally betraying Michael or sheer incompetence, accidentally letting info slip to the enemy?

One draft of the script has it clear that it was a kidnapping plot. Fredo was in on it and helped make it happen but didn't know it was an assassination.

LETS TALK ABOUT A BETTER AL PACHINO MOVIE

Attached: images (1).jpg (960x1440, 238.42K)

Shut up.

You mean this

Attached: EPgqOGCVUAAqnKn.jpg (1200x675, 86.88K)

I don't think Michael was *really* set on killing Fredo until this scene. It's the way Fredo launches into a tirade about being stepped over. You can see it as 'explaining himself' but he's also flat out admitting culpability.

Attached: g.jpg (1280x720, 67.25K)

>my brother betrayed me and tried to help my enemy kill me and I should forgive him and look weak because I had to ok!

this is why Michael was successful he never let emotion get in the way and knew how to wield power

AND
Fredo also knew about the Senator connection to Roth and how it was going to take out Michael as a back-up plan anyway
There was really no way Fredo could lose, but he did and even if he hadn't said all that shit in Cuba they still would've all been eventually killed.

> Successful

I'm not sure he would look all that weak letting Fredo live. He'd already won at that point. His enemies were all dead or on the run. He could've sent Fredo off to run a 'Mickey Mouse nightclub' far away forever. It definitely does display to any potential future enemies how ruthless you're willing to be though.

He broke my heart..

>Fredo also knew about the Senator connection to Roth and how it was going to take out Michael as a back-up plan anyway
I'm not sure he knew that, just that the Senate lawyer was on Roth's payroll.

I don't think it matters to outsiders since they would have no clue of the context. For all anyone knows, Fredo vanishes and it could have been a rival hit.

No, he's killed because he's a liability and he could be used again to harm the family. Protecting the family is his #1 motivation into becoming the Don to begin with.

Granted but you could easily put Fredo in a position where he couldn't harm the family. His stupidity and that he was allowed to be an underboss is how the family was impacted by his actions. Take away a position of power from Fredo and no one would bother trying to use him to get to the family, he'd be useless.

>takes over a dying criminal empire after his father is turned on by all the other families
>someone takes it from an outcast to the only one left standing
>by the time 3 rolls around, he is donating millions of dollars to charities and sanitising his empire
>final scene of trilogy is him dying very peacefully and painlessly as an old man living in a beautiful villa

Yes, successful.

it was intentional, but also incompetence
Fredo knew they were going to do something, and wanted that piece of the action they were offering
but he also didn't think they were going to attempt to whack him

He's able to loan the Vatican half a billion dollars ($1.1 billion today with inflation) by the time the 90s roles around. He was undoubtedly massively successful.

>Successful
how was he not successful?
he would have looked weak, you can't have anyone undermine you without punishment and you can't make exceptions for family it has to be about business

The second movie looked nice but was not good.

the simple truth of da mattuh is that fredo was slippin', ever since the old man got shot in front of him, fredo lost something and nevuh got it back

I'm trans btw not sure if that matters.

Even back then Fredo was weak. They knew that having Paulie sick Fredo would have to fill in and he wouldn't be able to do shit.
Poor guy was always the fuck up of the family.

you will never be a woman

IDK about not good. 1 is way superior. but I still like 2.

I'm also Jewish btw not sure if that matters