/film/

Thread for the discussion of arthouse and classic cinema

>/film/ literature
mega.nz/folder/OVIDlQTJ#7L4e8TGqNnbJEFqQzaf8lw
>/film/ charts
mega.nz/folder/DtpiBSjT#FN4YVpwqQRDL7r2_ZKXUw
>/film/ directors directory
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qgdYsMPAaFWrAa_7EHLpXqpOHLaDLmytM9wJ5nhGtqs/edit?usp=sharing
>but user, how do I make webms with MPV?
github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm
>Il Buco
mega.nz/file/b89gHS6Z#rs0Me1S82FdMfy1xualhMRux24D9E-Cld5qHEEZvQ9g

Previous:

Attached: 4945B2B9-379A-4160-A5CD-D7BB393261E0.jpg (375x591, 38.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BY_HilE1UcE
letterboxd.com/film/la-belle-noiseuse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I find it interesting that Bergman had so much admiration and respect for Tarkovsky. Is he the GOAT?

Tarkovsky was so obsessed with Bergman that he tried to make a Bergman movie, he cast Bergman actors and even shot it in Sweden.

That alone tells you who the real goat is

Both hacks.

he used Bergman's cinematographer too

Bergman's tastes are shit in general.

You take that back! Lol

Guy loved James Bond ffs

Everyone talking about mummies again.

yes. I love The Mummy

Attached: mummy_key_HIGH.jpg (1364x2046, 2.25M)

I don't. Never liked it much at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=BY_HilE1UcE
what did Terrence Malick mean by this scene? was the painter supposed to represent the Church? or was it Malick talking through him?
at the end he says "someday I'll paint the true Christ", and apparently his upcoming film is about Jesus Christ himself.

Might be about the fact that Christianity has been flattened in the last couple of centuries. It's been overly aestheticized and the pain and suffering Christ endured for us, as well as the notion of Martyrdom pushed to the edges of what people consider Christian. Remember the outcry when Gibson's Passion came out? How they cried about the bloodshed? The painter says he paints Christ with a Halo, maybe implying what he feels he should paint him with is a crown of thorns.

I like this analysis, especially when the painter says "I paint their comfortable Christ", implying in his own interpretation Christ wouldn't have been comfortable in all of that suffering, and the lack of an explicit representation is what made people forget the essence of what his martyrdom implies.
maybe your comment about the crown of thorns is a hint at what Terrence's depiction of Christ would look like, maybe like the painter in that scene he'll have the courage to venture and paint what he deems to be the true Christ.

>Docetism (from the Greek δοκέωdokeō, "to seem") is the belief thatbJesus' physical body was an illusion, as was his crucifixion; that is, Jesus onlyseemedto have a physical body and to physically die, but in reality he was incorporeal, a pure spirit, and hence could not suffer or die

Another possibility or rather extension is that the painter refers to not considering himself to be a good Christian, not following Christ's call, his demand as he says. He says he can not paint what he hasn't lived through, perhaps expressing a longing to become a true image of Christ.
That's just heresy.

Bergman IS the goat

/film/ discord went downhill very fast

>p*docord
Yuck

Stop advertising.

what films are essential /paint/core?

letterboxd.com/film/la-belle-noiseuse/

They all joined the Bookum discord

>The Agony and the Ecstasy
>Loving Vincent
>The Mill and the Cross
(which I really don't like but conceptually it fits to well to dismiss it)