So I've started to really get into DVD collecting recently and picked up 7 movies and 4 television seasons today and...

So I've started to really get into DVD collecting recently and picked up 7 movies and 4 television seasons today and only paid $12 for them.
That said I've had my first rude awakening and that is DVD regions.
I remember back when DVDs were still relevant knowing about these but I ended up buying a DVD today that was for a different region. Is there any realistic workaround with this?

Do any of you buy non used DVDs? Honestly once you get beyond $1-2 for a film or season I just start to feel a bit stingy about it and don't want to spend the money.
I'd like to get a lot of Japanese films on DVD, for example Kurosawa, Mizoguchi and Kobayashi are my favourite directors but there's absolutely no chance a local charity store is going to have them and so I'd be forking out a lot of money on them and they aren't even really easily available for sale in my country anyway.
I mean I assume a lot of Millennials here imported their DVDs but $38 for one DVD is just too fucking much even if it's from Criterion.

What has Any Forums picked up lately btw?

Attached: 1647796611432.jpg (1280x720, 281.13K)

Oh yeah, I made a thread about DVD collecting a while back after getting S1 and S2 of Downton Abbey and honestly I regret buying them.
The show is awful to me, after the episode with the 'Turkish guy' I just had to stop watching.
It felt like the show was both an exposition of the virtues of the Aristocrats whilst also being a Funhouse ride of Historical quirks and oddities with no real central story backing it up.
Whenever there was a story in an episode it's quickly butchered for the almost sitcom like format, it's corpse occasionally displayed so that the audience doesn't suddenly awaken to what's going on but in my case it just made me more disgusted and pulled out of the immersion.
I paid $3 for both but still, I'm fucking mad man.
On that note I picked up S1 and S2 of Mad Men today and I hope it's good. Is the show continuously good or does it have it's ups and downs?

I'm pretty sure this is the only one I've ever paid $40 for. When it came out and I paid about $10 to see it in the theater a couple years before that when the bluray got announced. And I flipped a couple dvds before that. Found out about it here.

Attached: 20220515_113454.jpg (4128x1856, 2.12M)

laptops shouldn't be region locked so just plug a HDMI cable from the laptop into the tv and play the DVD thru that

Yeah got to be careful with region locks.
I buy most of mine 50/50 used/new just depends on how rare and new it is. Like I recently got a bunch of used Dr.Seuss DVDs used because they were older releases. I also bought a release of In This Corner of the World for new since it was more recent and readily available. It just depends. I have also found great deals on used dvds at stores for cheap, but with space restrictions on the shelf I have to be selective what is coming home with me. It is very tempting to buy 30 used DVDs for $30 until you have to store them somewhere.

Is it just a rare DVD or is the DVD maker one of the 'premium' ones?
If it's an out of print and very rare DVD, only release that you can get with English subtitles on the disk I could understand
Did laptop manufacturer's just have an agreement to not bother with region locking?
I'll try it out though, thanks user I would never have thought of that.
I collect (hoard) books and for my collection it's mostly putting them in boxes, I ran out of shelf space a while ago...
You're right though, also there's a big difference psychologically between spending $30 at once versus maybe spending $10 a month on 10 DVDs each month.

In This Corner of the World was a great film, did you just feel the need to watch it suddenly? I guess having that impulse makes buying DVDs new make sense
Also fuck, I'm looking at the images from that film and I was confused why I found it so sad when they looked so cute until I remembered THAT scene
I hate that Japanese companies try to scrub youtube of all film footage for some reason

>In This Corner of the World was a great film, did you just feel the need to watch it suddenly?
Oh yeah, thats another thing about me: I only buy DVDs of things I know I'll rewatch more than twice. I immediately wanted to rewatch the movie my first time seeing it so I went and bought the DVD of it. It is a really pretty movie, but very sad and melancholy like you said. Very gut wrenching and humanizing movie about war. I heard there was an extended cut based on the stuff they cut from the manga. I hope they release that too.

Yeah it's some small boutique label. I've never even really heard of it aside from this movie. At the time the dvd editions were rare but this was just important to me at least because it was the first and last I checked only bluray.

Fuck me, I didn't even know that there was a manga original of it.
Will read it now.
Interesting, film any good?

Yeah I'd go 4/5. After seeing a couple clips here I rented the dvd from my local video store and completely freaked out.

what an insanely stupid waste of time and money. you have no chance to be successful in life if you continue down this path. thread hidden

First check online if your disc player has a region unlock work around. A lot of players just need a few button presses to swap region because all regions use the same pcb board and parts but are software locked when sent to store.

If there isn't see if you can get a remote that unlocks the player, because some players need to receive a code with buttons that the default remote usually doesn't have.

Lastly just buy a new player that will have the region free system or can be set to different region with the standard remote. My Panasonic 4k player will literally change regions by pressing title, title, home and hitting play. It's really stupid.

>The show is awful to me, after the episode with the 'Turkish' guy
You got filtered because you're racist. That's literally the beginning of the series and then its all aristocracy kino.

shut up

Region free DVD players are $40 on amazon. And yes I buy used DVDs, but only for standard definition anime from Discotek to watch on my CRT. However I do spend $300 a month on new blurays. Thats only 2 hours of my post tax income so its not bad. Thinking about spending $7k on a 4k projector for a 300 inch screen.

>Interesting, film any good?
Not that user, but you mean Possession? Great movie, but I recommend seeing it knowing as little as possible to enhance your enjoyment

7k is a bit excessive. What projector?

JVC DLA-NP5. Native 4k projectors start at $5k btw.

You can buy a region free DVD player pretty cheap

There's plenty of projectors starting at $4k. Also looking at the specs the price is definitely because it has 3 microdisplays for RGB color at 4k. Thats a good thing if your eyes can pick up the rainbow effect from slower color wheels. I have a true 4k pixelshift projector with RGBWRGBW color wheel for $1200. It's pretty gud and just cast to my wall. Will definitely get a native 4k laser projector in a few years when they're cheaper.

A waste of time? Sure but how is it a waste of money?