Horror movies should keep it simple. The antagonist shouldn't have a backstory, a personality or a goal...

>Horror movies should keep it simple. The antagonist shouldn't have a backstory, a personality or a goal, just have a bad guy kill people and that's how you make a good movie. Plot is unnecessary.

Do you agree with world renowned filmmaker Mike Stoklasa?

Attached: file.png (1214x723, 1.07M)

>Horror movies should keep it simple. The antagonist shouldn't have a backstory, a personality or a goal, just have a bad guy kill people and that's how you make a good movie
Yeah

Attached: D04BD5BB-1882-4D91-8563-0CDC444A91D1.jpg (250x382, 47.98K)

it’s hard to do that without looking like you’re baiting a sequel, idk who that guy is

> idk who that guy is
Mike Stoklasa is the director of the Star Wars sequel trilogy

They just meant it wasn't necessary for this type of story, because it wouldn't have added anything. Some mystery and ambiguity can be good - not every minor detail needs to be explained, then you ruin shit like with Alien Covenant. Or giving Hector Salamanca's fucking bell a backstory.
It's because of fags like you that we might get a Grabber "origin story" prequel film

They don’t want to think when watching a movie, they just want to consume it and then wait for another movie to consume.

This. He wasn’t saying every horror movie should be simple, but it was perfect for this story

dunno, but that was only watchable episode they've done in a couple months.

This

Idk a mysterious ghost phone and a serial killer with no motivation isn’t really good story telling or perfect for any movie

Sure

Attached: 8C9006F5-141C-4D20-9262-DD62FE458BDF.jpg (500x685, 33.06K)

halloween isn't a good horror movie

It could use more jump scares with cg demon faces

obviously the two kids had some supernatural abilities. seems like their mother did as well.

i could have used more Ethan Hawke mostly because he was the most interesting character. I don't really think he needs motivation besides being a predator

>The antagonist shouldn't have a backstory, a personality or a goal
I don't have a problem with these things if they wrap themselves up neatly and add to the horror

If he means "don't overexplain your monster", yeah, most of the time it's a bad idea. Que Lovecraft's quote about fear of the unknown.

Contrast another movie by the same director, Sinister, where a man haunted by supernatural phenomenon at midpoint contacts an occult professor who just says "yeah seems like you have a bad case of Bagul, it's basically that pagan god/demon and this is his thing".

This. On the flip side of this Michael Myers in the og Halloween and ?Billy? in Black Christmas were scary because you knew nothing about them, their motives were a mystery, etc etc. Now that's cool because it was original at the time, if you fall back on this "le mysterious villain" (because I'm a hack who cant come up with an interesting villain so I'll operate under the guise of what you don't know is scarier nonsense) nowadays then you deserve to be criticized, because it's been done masterfully and there's no need to do it again. This is why The Strangers is cringe garbage (although the terrible villains are THE LEAST of The Strangers problems).

The Black Phone is not what I described above. It's clear the writer had a picture of who and what The Grabber is and why he did the things he did. He just chose not to explain it. You can pick up on clues and hints here and there and it's enough to stimulate your imagination and come up with your own theories on the Grabber's backstory / motives, etc. When watching this movie I believed that Ethan Hawke was told and knew his character's backstory and motivations. You don't have to give us everything about the villain, if the movie is well written (and acted) the audience will be able to pick up on a few hints here and there to draw their own conclusions which may be not too far off the director's vision. Mick Taylor in Wolf Creek 2 is handled like this well, he has these moments and conversations where you can pick up on a few things about his character, you get the idea that the writer had a complete vision of what Mick Taylor and lets a few hints slide through the dialogue / actions, but without just coming out and giving everything away.

the trailer for this movie looked like absolute, level 99 dogshit. They let an A.I. build a movie out of b roll footage and they checked EVERY. SINGLE. BOX for "Scary movie" it sucks and i havent even seen it. Mike and Jay could say the movie would have been better if there was a fucking talking bunny rabbit for all i care, they cannot be wrong if their opinion is that it sucks because it does, and dumbshit Any Forums contrarians who want to fucking make pointless topics memeing and unironically or ironically defending a legit piece of shit movie should kill them selves at the end of this fucking sentence.

Attached: whyyes.jpg (1242x1394, 96.11K)

No.

Mike is a retard who made Space Cop.

One thing I noticed is that I have disagreed a lot when Jay says someone has a great performance or they ignore how bad people are. Almost every kid in this movie was fucking horrible. The sister had one good scene and that was it.

He praised Michael B Jordan in Black Panther when I think that guy is wooden as fuck in almost everything he does

Space Cop is deserves an academy award though

I agree. The proof is the greatest horror movie ever made, Angst. All we know is that our guy likes to kill, and that's all we need to know. Gerald Kargl puts his disease in us.

this guy gets it