The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Ignore the 10 gazillion other threads about shizo politics and culture war shit and ocme and discuss Wes Andersons comfiest (and best) movie with me anons

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 235.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HTRS80ALbhI
youtube.com/watch?v=TQDfg264q4Y
youtu.be/2NBegquhJRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let me tell you about my boat

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 67.69K)

Rushmore
The Grand Budapest
The Royal Tenenbaums
Bottle Rocket
The Life Aquatic
Darjeeling Limited
Moonrise Kingdom
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Isle of Dogs

Haven’t seen The French Dispatch but can tell I’ll probably rank it low. I might be too harsh on the stop motion movies even though that’s a perfect medium for someone like Anderson.

Attached: BBF0D4D5-41A7-4680-B792-352FDDF22494.jpg (464x351, 44.33K)

this is my favorite Anderson too. Probably cause it was my first. The scene where they finally find the tiger shark will always resonate with me

maybe its just because the TLA was the first WA movie i ever watched back before i even knew who he was but i rank it so much higher than shit like the Royal Tenebaums.

Nowadays I mostly appreciate it for its good potrayal of a man imploding under his own ego and finding his way back to himself

I'll also post this. i know its long but they're very good in depth looks

youtube.com/watch?v=HTRS80ALbhI

youtube.com/watch?v=TQDfg264q4Y

It definitely factors in when you see the movies. Royal Tenenbaums was the first I ever saw and I felt like he had perfected his style at that point. Life Aquatic is hilarious but it feels clunky as hell at times. I can’t blame getting burned out on him as a director because I loved Grand Budapest

>comfiest (and best) movie
I don't know, user. I'm a boatfag but I still didn't find it very comfy compared to The Darjeeling Limited or The Grand Budapest Hotel. It might be because I saw the movie memed and hyped up online for ages before I finally watched it, while I went into the other two blind.

>Haven’t seen The French Dispatch but can tell I’ll probably rank it low.
It becomes a whole other movie once you realise it's Wes honouring the billionaire that owns the production company that greenlights all his crazy movie ideas and lets him approach the stories any way he wants and to take his time, where the typical Hollywood production companies would have interfered and ruined things. Without that to encapsulate the whole thing it feels weird watching it.

Fantastic Mr Fox is great, I'd put it above Darjeeling, Bottle Rocket and Moonrise Kingdom for sure

I fucking love this movie no cap

Grand Budapest is great but i really really did not enjoy Darjeeling one bit. it just didn't resonate with me whatsoever

>video essays

Attached: 1627118017539.jpg (694x609, 71.35K)

I find it hard to watch any of Bill Murray's old movies now that he's been exposed as acting like a chud on set.

Darjeeling is a poor man's Life Aquatic

I'll fight it. But i'll let it live

Attached: d21b14c7e47b399871e28909e6a0eade.jpg (600x315, 21.89K)

Yes!

What does the K stand for?

That’s how I feel about Moonrise Kingdom. I fucking loved Budapest but thought Moonrise was trash and I still can’t figure out why it rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I just need to see it again

Darjeeling definitely grew on me after seeing it again

That moment in The Life Aquatic when they find the Tiger Shark.

That moment in Darjeeling Limited where they get off the bus to attend the funeral.

That moment in The Grand Budapest Hotel where the guy snaps and Zero tells him his history as a refugee.

All three of these and many other scenes in these movies made my soul cry butterfly tears.

Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom and The Royal Tenenbaums lacked that spark that spoke to my inner being, but were good films and had cool moments.

Not only have I not seen Fantastic Mr. Fox or Isle of Dogs, but I feel like comparing stop motion animation films to live action is pointless.

I have yet to see Bottle Rocket or The French Dispatch.

There's a lot of scenes in Life Aqautic that bludgeon me with melancholy in a good way. Steve is a complete asshole sure but he's somehow tragic to me. I feel like i've been on top before and then gone into a decline like he has

Same, I really didn't like Moonrise Kingdom and I'm not sure why exactly either. It might've been the child actors.
It's the only Wes Anderson movie I dislike (I haven't seen Isle of Dogs or the French Dispatch)

That’s odd because I feel like Rushmore had the most heart out of any of his movies. You’d probably like Bottle Rocket but it’s definitely a stripped down version of what Anderson became

I think that might be true. I don’t remember the kids being particularly bad acting wise but that can sometimes ruin it for me

I only like Rushmore. The rest were over written and over stylized.

French Dispatch is the capeshit of Wes Anderson films.

Also, Fantastic Mr. Fox should be higher up that list

What about Bottle Rocket then? If anything that is even less stylized than Rushmore

for me, it's Bottle Rocket.

Yeah, I knew having Fantastic Mr Fox that low would piss people off. I loved the movie but it was honestly hard to decide where to put his stop motion shit. I guess I would put it above Moonrise and Darjeeling

>over written
Actually the opposite in some important areas. After Fantastic Mr Box he stopped writing characters that are more than 2 dimensional, also some plot deficiencies.

whatever is being said in this thread i'm just glad its a fucking oasis in the sea of pure shite that is Any Forums right now

Attached: 1658176154153375.jpg (567x567, 27.44K)

it's anderson's only work where his apparent style complements to the film and the world he built instead of feeling forced and "look it's all so meta"

Based, I still listen to Over and Done With by the Proclaimers because of this movie

youtu.be/2NBegquhJRM

Attached: F2F6DF2E-64F8-4C43-8F3C-E98E8CE36310.jpg (1300x866, 83.34K)

>tfw missed out on seeing all of them at the cinema, except for The French Dispatch
I'm certain that being totally immersed made me enjoy it to a degree that I wouldn't have if I'd been watching it at home where my attention might waiver when it jumped to another story, but all that does is make me think of how much better all the rest would have been on the big screen with full immersion.

Attached: Sad.jpg (289x310, 8.39K)