How exactly are these supposed to work? If they block fast-moving objects, but allow slow-moving ones to pass through...

How exactly are these supposed to work? If they block fast-moving objects, but allow slow-moving ones to pass through, wouldn’t that mean that anyone wearing both a full suit or armor and a shield would be invincible, as any object moving fast enough to pierce the armor would be stopped by the shield?

Attached: 8C7448BE-DD01-4B32-A788-D4B634900AFC.jpg (1024x576, 64.09K)

It's le magic.

Assuming the blades are high frequency nano-molecule space swords, armor isn't going to matter and they could presumably cut through anything, even with next to no force behind them. I didn't see the movie, does anything ever catch one of their knives?

I liked how everyone was like oh no if you hit someone with a shield with a projectile they’ll go full nuclear and explode
But then in the movie those Sardine Car guys use a fucking door breaching lazer that would obviously cut them in half with no issue and they even run around it, clearly indicating it’s lethal with the shields on
Just have some people take one into every fight

read the books brah, they’re cool

the actual foot soldiers are wearing body armor along with the shields. it's very common. did you pay attention to the books or the movie?

I don't read Jewish nonsense.

But why was that armor able to be penetrated by slow moving weapons?

>drop knife
>it goes to center of the earth

Slow moving object penetrates shield then opens and does something, spray poison gas, acid, explode, shoot space gun, etc.

woah it's like those tricks from the talmud

>no knight in full field plate was ever killed by a sword or knife

>wearing plate armor in 300 degree heat where even without it they don't waste movement to save energy
Uhh...

These aren't really issues in the book but you're right that it doesn't make any sense in the film.

I can't believe how stupid Villeneuve was on this movie.

>shields are super useful guys, that's why we all have them!
>oh no a common little dart gun can shoot a projectile that just goes through anyway
>also every military vehicle we have can shoot a missile that just goes through anyway
>Duncan escapes and a fucking spaceship is trying to shoot him with a laser

??? Herbert grew up Catholic

Orange Catholic*

He's a Jew in mind who's obsessed with kabbalah and modern Jews.

Fremen are so balls op in this setting it doesnt matter at all.

>wouldn’t that mean that anyone wearing both a full suit or armor and a shield would be invincible, as any object moving fast enough to pierce the armor would be stopped by the shield?

sort of but i think their space knives are super sharp and could maybe cut through that amount of steel but also the shields dont make you invincible, you still die if someone decides to shoot you with a laser or drop a rock on you or whatever.

you could hand wave it with sci-fu by saying the armor messes with the shields ability to cover you and react properly but that isnt directly addressed in the book. in fact they are almost never worn in the book because of the chance that you get shot while wearing one and cause a nuclear explosion centered on you. the times that paul actually does wear one in the book its taken as a sign that hes extra cocky and sure that no one will attempt to assassinate him (with a lasgun)

i didnt watch the new nigger dunc though so maybe they work differently there

Attached: 16234573458345634.jpg (1600x1576, 601.99K)

they were also a nonissue in the book for some reason. i guess herbert just reeeally didnt want standard firearms in his sci-fi world set tens of thousands of years in the future. jews are another issue though...

Herbert's first priority was to worldbuild a setting that was basically feudal Middle-East in space.
>Step 1: they fight with swords and knives
>Step 2: Oh I guess to make that practical there's like energy shields that stop fast projectiles
>Step 3: Lasers aren't actually projectiles? Uhh yeah you can't use lasers either because they go nuclear. So people know better than to use them

That's clearly how his logic went, he could have handwaved it so that shields just stop collimated light or something but he picked another explanation.

I think autistically dwelling on the logistics or hard science of what is almost a space fantasy story is missing the point.

everyone uses laser in the book is the point i was getting at. the shields and sword fighting martial arts just dont actually matter. he thought them up but then sort of dropped it and their inclusion in the book only seems to cause firearms to be nonexistent. the first book is mostly just world building anyway, he really starts telling a story only later