Avatar: Thoughtlessly Bad? or Brilliant Satire?

Just saw Avatar again since probably seeing it in the theater.
Didn't think about it much then. Thought it was fine, special effects were impressive, something about it didn't sit right, but it was OK and a fun theater experience.
Seeing it again, what did I think of it?
It's generally regarded by critics and audiences as being a movie about environmentalism, and a return to spiritual life in harmony with nature
>the day is saved by a Marine of the "sky-people" using advanced technology to inhabit a genetically engineered part-human part-Na'vi body: in other words the Na'vi would have been helpless against RDA without the advanced Avatar technology allowing a Marine, a cutting-techological-edge warrior they necessarily respect due to his warriors discipline, to infiltrate them. The message of the film is more along the lines of being pro-industrialism/pro-technocrat, suggesting nature is helpless without technology to defend it
>the movie itself was made with advanced CGI and motion capture technology in its time: it's arguably one of the most technologically intensive media productions mankind has created: the movie is a product of technology about as far removed from nature, which it supposedly celebrates, as you can get
>While the Na'vi are framed as being a "spiritual people" Eywa, the female spirit goddess of Pandora is explicitly explained to be the product of a brain-like network of neuron-like tree roots. Na'vi can physically connect to other life forms with their brain-tentacle things, and physically connect to the planetary tree network, and upload and download information to and from it. In other words, there's no room for mystery or spirituality, it's a scientific materialist worldview in a tribal coat of paint.
What do I think of it? Do I like it or hate it?

Attached: Avatar Poster.jpg (1000x1480, 103.86K)

Attached: 742473.jpg (640x442, 59.21K)

I can't remember the names of any character from this movie

Attached: 1613789339717.jpg (946x866, 121.07K)

based
yeah nigga shit's kino

all life on pandora is the result of a civilization hitting technological singularity status and then reforming/restructuring itself to the most ideal form it can conceive of

thousands/millions of years later, humans find it.

You have memory problems?

They should've just nuked the tree.

Then again, I didn't think the RDA was military. Which is kinda weird because the British East India and Dutch East India companies had armies and ships to rival the British fleet.

It's undoubtedly a high-quality film that's well made. It tells its story well. The main problem is probably that it doesn't really do anything that stands out as being unexpected or surprising. The plot is just hopelessly generic.

Say hypothetically, you could pick any movie. For example, the original Star Wars. You get a huge budget and the benefit of having seen the original before. You carefully craft the absolute best version of the original Star Wars that you can, fixing all errors and just generally making it gorgeous. Unfortunately, no matter how well you do, everyone has still already seen that movie already.

Yea. OP here. Having literally just watched it, I only remember Jake Sully and Netyri.
Sigourney Weaver was there as Ellen Ripley, I think.
There was also the indian guy with a round face who played the character Rufus, the chemist in Inception who creates the roofies for the dream heist (bravo nolan).
There was also Evil Marine, and Sarah Connor/Vasquez from Aliens as the helicopter pilot.
I can't remember the names lol

it's just like any 3d movie, like 'shark 3d' or whatever - everything else is compromised to make room for cool 3d stuff

fpbp

That would be a neat story, but to me an ideal form of society post-singularity would be equipped to defend itself, without help.
If the filmmakers did intend Pandora to be a post-singularity planet, it's not written well.

there aren't very many stories about people going native when the "native" populations are believing in, serving, fighting for something that is objectively real. most of the stories we have are of people being disillusioned with x, finding other illusions/pussy in y, and sticking with y.

the idea it took billions of dollars for a one person to merely access something greater than what we have on earth is... well, put that way kinda obviously a reference to the apollo missions. like imagine if the main character of avatar just had to come home after all of that. then live out a few more decades on earth. not only never getting anywhere close to what happened before, but actively watching everyone/everything move further away from it every day of his life. its kinda amazing niel armstrong hasn't killed himself yet.

>an ideal form of society post-singularity would be equipped to defend itself
they did most of the heavy lifting, and when shit really started looking potentially dangerous, every lifeform on pandora started fighting.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried
This board truly is filled with cinematically illiterate children

Last Samurai, Dances With Wolves, Disney's Pocahantas, The Postman.

all falls concretely into the included category of
>finding other illusions/pussy

? I watched it. It was bad. Are you going to tell me I needed to watch other movies to understand how it was good? Because if so you confirm it failed

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Attached: 1631040939280.jpg (590x325, 27.45K)

What I mean is a tighter script (or a more intelligent pre-singularity species) wouldn't have left a species of completely Naive humanoids behind.
The suggestion, as it stands, is that a civilization which achieved singularity with at least bio-engineering and possibly nanotech decided to leave itself vulnerable to attack by comparatively primitive species from space.
Just off the top of my head, the script could have been made more interesting if the Na'vi had myths passed down through the generations about their own flying ships and ancient technological civilization they had had in the past, and from there you could have a theme of the Na'vi trying to remember the ways of the ancients so that they can subdue the new threat from the humans.

No, their maguffins are very real within their narratives.

the problemS with a technological singularity situation is mobility, resources, fabrication, maintenance, sustenance, relativity, etc. a species/civilization hits that point (maybe because of some absurd/rare element on their planet) and then it has to decide if its even worth it to sacrifice pieces of itself to try to find more resources to make more of itself, but the loss can never be recouped because communications between the host and colonies can never be fast enough to achieve something equivalent to just staying on the homeworld. then, after coming to the "stay" conclusion, maybe spending a few centuries/millennia watching for extraterrestrial threats, before lulling into the complacent confidence of knowing there isn't much that could really threaten it.

yes, pussy is very real.