Was it abuse?

Was it abuse?

Attached: 20220711_175733.jpg (1554x350, 115.81K)

No.

>"goal" of doing 100 takes of a scene

Wow, that kind of makes Kubrick sound like a shitty "let's fix it in post" type of director. It's one thing to shoot take after take if you don't feel they went perfectly, but deciding before you even start filming "hmm today I will shoot a black man getting axed a 100 times", it seems like you're just hoping one of them will randomly turn out okay.

editing is where movies are actually made, and the more raw material you have the better.

people think it was literally autistic repetition of a scene as scripted without deviation but Kubrick's method was two-fold: one, to make sure the actors knew the lines and action by heart so they could focus on acting without having to think about their cues or anything, and two, to develop and flesh out the acting. Kubrick would shoot a scene a dozen times then tell the actor "I liked how you said it on take 5, but now try to combine it with the expression you made in take 12 and the motions you did in take 7." it's like in theater, no matter how much you rehearse a play, you will still figure out new ways to do things by your 20th performance that you wouldn't have thought of at the premiere

I wish Lucas used the same method... Sounds kino

>In the police station scene when Mr Deltoid (Aubrey Morris) spits in Alex's face, it is actually Steven Berkoff doing the spitting. After several takes, Morris complained to Stanley Kubrick that he had run out of saliva, and Berkoff volunteered his services until Kubrick's cameras captured the perfect 'spit-shot'.

Attached: FWB2tZGUYAAnK.jpg (770x1100, 117.98K)

it's hollywood's version of "dance, wagie, dance"

>Kubrick was such a perfectionist bro! 100 takes!

Ghost of an attack helicopter in the opening scene.

Not to mention that awful video call scene in 2001. You can direct a child actor better or get a better take, I wonder who she was to get such special treatment.

Attached: 36Mpk.jpg (680x478, 129.77K)

>Wow, that kind of makes Kubrick sound like a shitty "let's fix it in post" type of director.
That's exactly true. Kubricks entire philosophy for film making was that the true art was in the editing room. He spoke about this explicitly.
>editing is where movies are actually made, and the more raw material you have the better.
Basically this.

Imagine a female director doing this lmao

Attached: 20220711_181855.jpg (1536x2048, 529K)

She is Kubrick's daughter.

Helicopter was in the matte. Kubrick knew it was there and didn't care.

Actors aren't real people so it was fine.

If it was an actor instead of an object he would have shot it down.

film editor here. More is not always better. If the scene calls for a slower, more methodical pacing, then having 100s of takes means basically nothing if the director doesn't want to use multiple cuts or angles. All you're doing is wasting footage and time. Work until you get three solid takes, then shoot for safety and pick-ups / inserts and move the fuck on.

Attached: 1553169377098.jpg (391x366, 33.05K)

I'm pretty sure Kubrick knew better than you. If it wasn't so, you wouldn't be some nameless retard on this Mongoloid forum, talking shit. Still, it's Hollywood, so you just might not be a part of the desert tribe.

I promise you the editor didn't need 100s of takes. Kubrick knew his shit but he was also eccentric to a flawed degree. There is seeking perfection and the there's just obsessiveness. Truth be told, he probably kept thinking the "next" take will be the "one". That's not good direction, that's insecurity.

>people still dont get that kubrick was doing this purposefully to bring the actors to their breaking points to show actual raw emotion on camera
he knew what it took to get the most out of the actors, he did the same when he treated shelley duval poorly, it was really mean and actually abusive but it wasnt because he disliked her, it was bcause he wanted her to act not shit. he was just a mega autist sociopath that knew how to manipulate emotions like that without regard of the ethical ramifications

>make shelley feel hapless
>make jack feel crazy

still it must have been a boring snorefest to work for him

Attached: actor-alice-pagani-285481_large.jpg (426x600, 63.83K)

not trusting your actors to act is not the mark of a good director.

Attached: 1518752827433.jpg (522x401, 62.82K)

you mean like how improv comedy movies just give them minimal direction?
or how george lucas gave minimal direction in the prequels?

all those takes and the shining is still one of his lesser films

Ghost busters reboot

No. They get paid too much. They should treat actors like that today.