This show was pretty mid and i don't really get what all the hype is about

this show was pretty mid and i don't really get what all the hype is about

Attached: MV5BOTcwNzkwMDItZmM1OC00MmQ2LTgxYjgtOTNiNDgxZDAxMjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ0MTYzMDA@._V1_.jpg (1280x1920, 445.91K)

Gr8 b8 m8, I nearly 8.

A lot of shows are appreciated by the amount of potential they appear to have but have not yet capitalized on.

Firefly is a lot like Star Trek TNG and Farscape and a lot of other shows that have developed cult followings in that the actual episodes themselves are not super great, most are average at best and the obvious budgetary shortfalls tend to hamper a lot of what they are attempting, but it's the characterization of the cast members and their personalities and interactions and the internal and external development they go through that work really well.

I don't think anyone would proclaim that like, Firefly episodes were anything particularly special or even high tier when it comes to sci-fi shows. Most of them were just one- or two-location vignettes with some pretty strained concepts just to work in weird story cliches like swordfighting or a heist robbery or whatever. But it's not the episodes themselves that people remember, it's the moments with the characters that happen within them. In fact, I think for a lot of these shows, the episodes are literally just the set dressing (whereas in a show like a sitcom or crime procedural, the content and situation of the episode is important and the characters basically never change because meaningful interaction or growth isn't the point).

The internet has really warped the understanding of thw Firefly situation.
Firefly wasn't "unjustly cancelled", it was mishandled at best and sabotaged at worst.
The PILOT was aired AFTER CANCELLATION

This feels right in general but fwiw I never really bonded with or cared about the Firefly crew. I can’t remember any character moments outside of Mal going like “I’m an alright man” - shoots a guy - “I’m a scummy man” - shoots again, etc. which made me more cringe than anything. But BSG, TNG, etc., no problem remembering cool stuff characters I liked did
Really the one thing from Firefly that did stick with me was the Reavers

>This feels right in general but fwiw I never really bonded with or cared about the Firefly crew. I can’t remember any character moments
That's because you didn't like the show. If I asked you to name some cool character moments from your favorite show, you would have a hundred to list. Because that's how remembering things works.

you type like a reddit faggot

Well yeah but the question is what about it made me not like it, on paper it should be right up my alley
Open question, but I’ve had multiple friends try to get me into it and it’s never stuck lol

you ever been raped?

Attached: download.jpg (256x197, 5.24K)

i'd buy that if not for the characterisation being wafer-thin josh whedon dreck. people were just a lot more impressed with his quips back then

There are some new novels set between episodes that really capture the feeling of the show.

>the question is what about it made me not like it
I don't think that's the question, because I don't see anyone asking it. It's literally just a regular sci-fi show. I thought every moment of Battlestar Galactica was unmitigated dogshit, but people love that show to death and I have no idea why. It's just the way it is.

why do ppl like firefly and bsg when stuff like x files existed at the same time

X-Files wasn't much better? It was just Law & Order but with really thin and trite fantasy/sci-fi stuff that barely self-justified.

Well that attitude seems like the death of artistic understanding
Think I’m gonna have to rewatch Firefly, take some notes, and mull it over. Expect another thread eventually
Knowing Whedon’s later career and the weird critical environment of the 2000s, I could totally see this being the case

>really the only thing from Firefly that did stick with me was the Reavers
ah yes.. the faction that got introduced in a single episode and then were completely ignored for the rest of the series

I always found it funny how nerds loved Joss Sneedon for this show and Buffy the Vampire Slayer until he got his hands on Avengers and Justice League. Did people not realize he was a hack until the 2010's?

u have no taste if u didnt like xfiles

Firefly was allegedly based off of Joss Whedons Traveller tabletop roleplay game. I've recently gotten into traveller and it's so hard to not rip off either the River plot, or the typical "lol spacelab taken over by le epic virus./ Fungus / zombies" and similar shit. I've done some good stuff but man trying to take ideas from firefly just doesn't do well.

>mid
On gawd? No cap? F'rill? SHEEEESH! Miss me wit dat then.

Saw Firefly before I even knew there was a series. A friend suggest I watched the series so I bought the dvd set. I got maybe 3 episodes in before I stopped and realized it was garbage.

Not liking X-Files is literally a requirement of having taste.

The Reavers as a concept were referenced in I think two episodes, one of which was just name-dropping them as a major threat and the other was one where they didn't show up but the aftermath of their attacks was the point.

However, like the Blue Glove dudes it's an idea that they didn't have the time or leeway to expand on. They didn't have any rules established, and also Firefly has this complete lack of geography and established location that makes it hard to really understand whether they're just this small but dangerous threat, or an inevitable horde or terror the show will have to deal with some day.

Of course, they completely rewrote all of that in the move, and created this weird concept of "Reaver space" which I guess is just a place where the Reavers float around in their ships screaming all day, far enough away from all the major worlds as to not be handled by the military or something, but close enough that you have to pass through there to get to major planets. It's all kind of very "This exists to do whatever the story needs" kinda stuff.

the expanse > firefly