You know that

Sphere is objectively better than the abyss

Attached: OIP (35).jpg (474x711, 48.15K)

whats it about?

Underwater fuckery

Literally a Forbidden Planet rip-ogg except it sucks.
Michael Crichton is a hack as a writer. Jurassic Park novel is mediocre, the film is better.
Actually Crichton was a much better director even that writer - see Westworld.
But Sphere is such a shit book they couldn't have saved it.

Cringe

Attached: 1655602554627.jpg (534x297, 34K)

The score is the only redeming thing about it

Spielberg downplayed the fault of the Dr. John Hammond but everything else is improved, and the whole concept and story works better in cinematic form
but yeah Spielbeg just had to have his le whimsical old man, we can't just show him as an insane lunatic he is nooo
JP is honestly an overrated film somewhat, like it's good and all but fuck does it drag at the middle part mostly. Could've been better paced.

Jurassic park three was pretty great

They both kinda suck. Abyss is a near masterpiece but has the laziest sack of shit ending of all time. Sphere is just pretty average and unremarkable.

>Abyss kinda sucks
>it is also a near masterpiece
how does this work

Because it's awesome most of the way but then shits the bed at the end.

I think it was good for its time

at least Sphere is actually about something, it has a sense of intrigue and horror.

The Abyss is just fucking dumb and overrated, i really don't give a shit about cameron's obsession with underwater filming, nor did the general public in 89' either. Abyss was not a huge hit, in fact it was annihilated by The Little Mermaid.

i thought the ending was fine
the director's cut or special edition is stupider tho, really fucking overblown

There's some intrigue but it doesn't work as a horror film at all. It's visually bland and doesn't compensate it with well written characters, there's no atmosphere. The ending is utterly stupid and unsatisfying. It builds intrigue but there's not enough in the movie to sustain an ambigious film, it builds up to an explanation but doesn't deliver.
The Abyss is about aliens trying to understand humanity. Sphere is about nothing. Is the Sphere an alien or a human technology from the future? What was it's goal? To understand people? It doesn't understand compassion it projects the fears of people. At best you can say it's about some alien teaching them to overcome fear which is utterly stupid, a theme so minor that is not comparable to the sci-fi concept.
Crichton attempted to rip off several works, notably The Forbidden Planet. But The Forbidden Planet has a clear theme, the machine was build by the aliens for a specific pusrpose but they played God and didn't have any limitation forgetting about the dark hidden parts of ones psyche. We don't know who created the sphere in the well Sphere, we don't know if it's aliens or is it humans, it's not about that. In the book there's a hint it could be about aliens understanding human imagination but it doesn't really work as the Sphere manifests deep fears and desires, it's very specific for purely genre purposes which undermines the theme. I haven't seen the movie for a long time but I'm pretty sure it omits even that.
Also with this concept of a sphere that kinda manifests desires

...he might have attempted to also rip off Roadside Picnic and Solaris. But again, only very superficially without understandment of what made the themes of these works...work.

I agree, but it still doesn't compare to The Cube.

Attached: 1616643494950.png (530x650, 249.99K)

Read the book

the ending could've been better
not as imbeclic as the ending to Cube 2 tho

I haven't read it but from what I've seen it looks like it's still specifically about the subconscious fears and that it does have an implication it could be about aliens understanding humans or trying to teach humans about the imagination.
But we're talking about the film and as far as I remember the movie ignores all of that shit leaving only to notice the things the author of the book ripped off without the things Crichton himself tried to bring to the table.

The book was really good. Movie was ass

>Is the Sphere an alien or a human technology from the future? What was it's goal? To understand people? It doesn't understand compassion it projects the fears of people. At best you can say it's about some alien teaching them to overcome fear which is utterly stupid, a theme so minor that is not comparable to the sci-fi concept.
Extremely filtered.

>it's still specifically about the subconscious fears and that it does have an implication it could be about aliens understanding humans or trying to teach humans about the imagination.
No, it's not about that at all. Not in the slightest.

enlighten me immediately

Fuck you Sphere is based
Read that shit like three times

>sphere is objectively better than the abyss

Event Horizon is better than both.

Read the book

Event Horizon devolves into typical P.T. Anderson shlock nonsense despite the promising concept
ok but moobie sucks

>P.T. Anderson
Easy enough mistake but I chuckled

they confuse me