Do you like tonal languages??

>Me
No. I don't.

Attached: 1604064864630.png (1280x592, 262.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/L44IgIKydHQ
youtu.be/muCDXjRd2uc
youtu.be/b10DA_boCqk
youtube.com/watch?v=CxpGVVW8py8
yavba.net/en/our-own-iau-home-page
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, I think they sound really nice.

youtu.be/L44IgIKydHQ

youtu.be/muCDXjRd2uc

youtu.be/b10DA_boCqk

only time i hear them is in the supermarket (chinese for some reason)
And no, they sound agressive and bitchy, maybe they are just customer support wagies and it has nothing to do with their language but it sounds bitchy.
never heard other tonal language, need examples

>never heard other tonal language, need examples
yes, agressive and bitchy. they would cut your throat from behind for 20 dollars if they are given a chance. never trust someone that talks like that

My native language is supposedly a tonal language but I honestly cannot tell the difference between a tone and a stress. All "tones" just sound like varying what syllable you stress to me

i am searchig the kind of videos of op for south america to see differences and they dont exist
ill create them and get them back if the thread is still on

& maybe i cant google

yellow uniformly sound good, red idk but I hate chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese both)

>This

I think tonal language sound is not good.

what's your native language?

i will give a lame ass south american version of asian weather report so you can rate our accents please wait almost there

Is it true that there are Chinese languages with 8 tones? How does that even work?

Attached: 6 tones in cantonese.png (640x255, 35.75K)

youtube.com/watch?v=CxpGVVW8py8

i didnt balance audio because i dont want work im not payed

For me a beach and a bitch is the same.

Contour and pitch

Attached: pepehaunted.gif (646x466, 755.74K)

Yes. Wait a time. Because I woking my job now.

>Iau is the most tonally complex Lakes Plain language. Unlike other Lakes Plain languages which can be disyllabic or trisyllabic, Iau word structure is predominantly monosyllabic. Iau has eight phonemic tones, transcribed by Bateman using numerical tone numbers (with 1 high and 5 low, as in much of Africa and America but the opposite of the convention used with Asian languages): two level tones (low and high), two rising tones (low rising and high rising), three falling tones (high-low, high-mid, and mid-low), and one falling-rising tone. Phonetically, these are:[3]

>high 2 [˦]
>mid 3 [˧]
>high rising 21 [˦˥]
>low rising 43 [˨˧]
>high–low falling 24 [˦˨]
>high–mid falling 23 [˦˧]
>mid–low falling 34 [˧˨]
>falling–rising 243 [˦˨˧]
>A sequence of two tones (called a tone cluster) may occur on one syllable. There are eleven tone clusters that can occur on verbs to mark aspect; only three of these can occur on nouns.

>Some minimal sets in Iau illustrating phonemic tonal contrasts:[3]

>be˦ 'father-in-law'
>be˧ 'fire'
>be˦˥ 'snake'
>be˨˧ 'path'
>be˦˨ 'thorn'
>be˦˧ 'flower'
>be˧˨ 'small eel'
>be˦˨˧ 'tree fern'
>te˦ 'pig wallow'
>te˧ 'mosquito'
>te˦˥ 'man'
>te˨˧ 'edible tuber'
>te˦˨ 'calf of leg'
>te˦˧ 'inlet of body of water'
>te˧˨ 'flooring'
>Examples of monosyllabic words with the three 'compound' tones are /da˧˦˧/ 'mountain', /oi˦˥˧/ 'hand' and /sae˨˧˦˧/ 'knife'.

>There is downdrift after low (3) and falling tones, and also of (24) following (243). A high-rising (21) tone rises slightly after another.

>Tone is lexical on nouns, pronouns, numerals, prepositions and other parts of speech, but verbs are unmarked for tone. In verbs, each tone represents a different aspect or aktionsart. The complex system of aspectual marking via tone is discussed in Bateman (1986).

they're for brainlets as evidenced by the map

Also they have their own website:
yavba.net/en/our-own-iau-home-page

this is fucking ridiculous

What the fuck is pitch accent

Pitch accent:
>Only one syllable per word has meaningful tone

Tonal:
>More than one syllable per word may have meaningful tone

Word tone (which is what many of the languages here has, including Norwegian to my knowledge):
>More than one syllable per word may have meaningful tone, but there are heavy restrictions on what type of tone combinations can occur on a word.

This is very simplified but that's the gist of the distinction.

To be honest, it sounds similar.
Fitist of all, don't South America countries use Spanish except Brazil?

Sounds are softly good. But i can't find difference.