If you think this movie is a masterpiece please explain why in this thread because I just don’t get it

If you think this movie is a masterpiece please explain why in this thread because I just don’t get it

Attached: DA4948F5-F2EE-488D-AAE4-8A876B2D2D85.jpg (1380x2044, 436.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Vc6eynm-5Dc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

filtered

Because...Uhm... Stanley Kubrick made it!
And it's long

whats not to get?

I think it's a masterpiece mainly because I find the monolith scenes to be awe-inspiring. It's the closest I know of that any filmmaker has come to putting something sublimely super-human on the screen, something chilling in its transcendental power. Those scenes made my hair stand on end. So the movie is a mystic experience.

Saw this with my mom the other day and she fell asleep

It's another movie based on a book. Kubrick decided to adapt it into a more surreal exploration of mankind and extraterrestrials. This premiered in 1968; a decade before Star Wars, so there really wasn't any movie like it.

The novel explains that the monolith is a tool that ascends worthy species into the next stage of evolution. In this case, it turns the astronaut into a giant space baby which then detonates every nuclear warhead on Earth. Sweeping the past away, making a new species of space humans.

Masterpiece is subjective but there's so many parodies of it you owe it to yourself to watch it once.

Because it’s a great scifi story that manages to link the birth of humanity to the wonders of technology. Anyone that says
>it’s too le slow!!
Is a retard that stopped watching when the story actually begins

Attached: HAL.jpg (1280x720, 46.26K)

so what does the space baby do?

retard

I can explain why it's overrated but we have to look the other way

Attached: 2001.jpg (700x701, 97.65K)

>Special Effects
Everything in this movie is pre-computer. Think about that. Wrap your head around how he got the shots, the sets, the logistics and visuals.

>Balls
The studio hated it. He did it anyway

>Adaptation
No one had ever adapted a science fiction novel with this kind of budget. He used classical music. He refused to cut the run time so just included an intermission. He didn't explain anything. Just left it to the imagination, knowing it would blow past half the audience.

>Historical Context
nothing like this had ever been done before and everything after it mimics it in some way

Interesting how there's no spoken words before the first tool was invented and after the last tool (HAL) was disabled. For all our self-importance we are just a link in a chain to the next species, whether organic or artificial.

I also love the contrast between the high tech and the stressed-out drab bureaucrats. Humanity has moon bases and space flight has become almost routine but humans have quickly become used to it and just take it for granted, and the same highly political sort of ass-covering corporate culture still exists.

youtu.be/Vc6eynm-5Dc

Everyone gets their own star, their own system, when they die. This is his. Reborn, he watches Earth and our system.

Attached: clark.jpg (3840x2160, 1.48M)

Unironically atmosphere.
I tried to watch this movie a few times and just couldn’t get past the lack of dialogue, slow visual scenes etc.
then around the time where HAL comes in I started to find the atmosphere had got very creepy, I had been watching it for so long I felt more engrossed than I expected. By the time he was nearing Jupiter and he was losing his grip on reality (the flashing lights and green) I honestly had goosebumps. It’s the only movie where I felt the complete loneliness and detachment of the protagonist (in space)
In my mind I knew there was no way this guy was coming back. The stakes never felt that high in ad Astra or interstellar which often get compared against it. Once I understood what the monoliths were I admit I got quite a profound feeling. To think this was made in the 60s too. The second time I watched it I got the same experience. That’s why it’s my favourite movie of all time. It makes me feel very strong emotions.

Attached: 41DAB7CC-645F-4CD7-A2D5-ACBC29F9DF63.jpg (1346x847, 93.18K)

You have to have read the book to fully appreciate the movie. The book had a dogshit ending that ruined the entire story for me and I think the movie replicated that part really well.

Actually from what I recall, Clarke wrote the book simultaneously with Kubrick making the movie. Both the book and the movie were inspired by a very short story that Clarke had written several years before that, but the short story is just about the "finding an alien object on the moon" idea, it doesn't have any of the rest of the plot that is in the book and the movie.
Personally, I think that Clarke's book explains too much. I prefer to think of the movie as a standalone entity, without reference to the book. It's more mysterious that way.

Just on a technical level the movie is incredible. Its visual effects wouldn't be topped by any film until Star Wars, and that was after nearly a decade of unprecedented technical growth.

because boomers were high when they saw it and it helped delude them into thinking they were going to create a futuristic utopia

Don't get the love for it either. Barry Lyndon and Paths of Glory are his masterworks. Kubrick in general is quite overrated, Bresson and Tarkovsky interest me more.

See it in theaters. I hated the movie for years after watching at home, then a place by me did an anniversary showing on the big screen. The spectacle of it really is incredible.

Its not made for low iq