/animation/

A general for animated filmography, plays and TV content of all kinds to be discussed and shared.

This includes; 2d animation, 3d animation, stop-motion, live motion animation, anime, western, eastern, clay animation, and puppet films.

>Some animation charts: pastebin.com/VJfFVUF1
>A quick rundown on some types of animation: pastebin.com/4yCJfUwS
>folder containing dozens of cinegrids of various animation projects (beware of spoilers): mega.nz/folder/h7AjDDRA#zR7Sffe-Z1znu6QVpthzaw
>use letterboxd or topsters to make and share your taste in animation films

Q: Are movies like The Fabulous Baron Munchausen and Loving Vincent animation?
A: Yes, in this case some human actors are rotoscoped into animated/painted backgrounds, or digital art is layered on the human actors.

Previous thread:

Attached: Tale of the Princess Kaguya.webm (680x362, 2.99M)

Stop trying to make this general a thing.

T minus 10 until Gadonfag established his presence

i don't have a lot of animation webms even though i am a huge weeb

Attached: goku vs janenba.webm (640x360, 2.88M)

Anyone have a mega of good animated films

Attached: Akira (1988) 720p BRrip_sujaidr (pimprg).webm (500x268, 2.87M)

Kung Fu Panda 2 is one of the worst CG films i've ever seen from a major animation studio. The comedy, pacing and storytelling are terrible

it's one of the best tho

This doesn't need to be a general.
exists
just make threads about whatever specific thing you want to talk about.

Studio Ghibli loves filtering their digital films to look like 35mm film and older cel animation.
But they were forced to go digital to quickly finish Princess Mononoke and because My Neighbors the Yamadas could not be done well with traditional cels.
They could have delayed Princess Mononoke to finish everything in 35mm film and cels, while Yamadas and Kaguya could have worked their sketchy art style using xerox, just like Disney did during the '70s and '80s.

Pretty soon all the Americans that can do high quality 2D animation will be dead or retired

Attached: 1556429940501.gif (640x360, 725.39K)

Aint this the farthouse thread?

Kung Fu Panda 2 is a subversive cinematic masterpiece.
Please watch my 14 minute youtube video telling you why.

it's bad. 81 mins waste of time. Direct to video quality sequel

Nobody can tell either way

The whole "faking digital to be analogue film" was started by Ghibli but started becoming more popular with films like Knives Out, Dune 2021, and The Batman.
Even Netflix does this for TV shows like The Cuphead Show now.

I'm sure there are animators out there that are far more talented than what they're forced to work on. Hard to really gauge how good someone really is when they're animating shit like Big Mouth. Need a proven director to get something going at one of the smaller studios and maybe we can get something interesting for once.

Panda 2 is bad. Directors of the first movie didn't come back for 2 and 3, plus they didn't work at Dreamworks ever again. They were against making sequels. Kung Fu Panda was meant as a stand alone story

cartoons are for little girls fag

i'm pretty sure Mononoke Hime was done with cels, which were then digitized just to enhance their look.

A large majority of the film was done with cels.
But a few shots were done on digipaint to save of production time.

You will always be inferior to and be a manchild version of /film/.

Attached: 1656596170601.webm (1920x1080, 2.9M)

Soon we'll have AI capable of algorithmically generating art work. Down the road, we'll have AI that can animate stuff on its own.