Just watched Chernobyl for the first time. What did I think of it?

Just watched Chernobyl for the first time. What did I think of it?
Also exactly how much of it was bullshit? Did they do a good job with accuracy? I don't know anything about the real events.

Attached: Chernobyl-HBO-Miners-3158231011.jpg (2100x1403, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/television/review-chernobyl-hbo.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was mostly accurate, although the plant managers weren't as evil as the show made out, at least not according to Serhii Plokhy book

The portrayal of what radiation is and how it works is flawed and incorrect, but the portrayal of the USSR and how it worked is spot on.

Except the minister of coal, who in real life was an actual ex-coal miner not some schluby suit man

Attached: ministerofcoal.png (292x357, 195.48K)

>
>What did I think of it?
It was ok.
>Also exactly how much of it was bullshit? Did they do a good job with accuracy?
It flubbed a lot of details. Some of them were based on urban legends (like the bridge of death scene, for instance, is complete bullshit). Other flubs are just straight up the director and writers inserting shit that has absolutely no basis in reality (the miners didn't have to strip naked, they just dressed down to underwear). A major one is the female scientist character is actually 100% made up and they just put her in there for feminism points. Everything she did was actually done by thousands of (almost entirely male) scientists working under the guy in charge.
Another example of major inaccuracies is that the helicopter crash over Chernobyl was not caused by radiation. It happened because the pilot got cocky and flew too close to a crane, busting his rotor on it. We know this for a fact because the crash is still on film in public archives. The crash also happened way later, like weeks after the initial meltdown. In fact the show really takes huge liberties with the time scale in lots of places to try and build up the tension.
The biggest issue with it, and this is repeated by both Russian and American experts on the events in question, is that it tries to turn this into some kind of soapbox against corrupt politicians and plant managers when in reality everyone involved was simply tired, depressed, and had no real motivation to do anything they weren't paid to do. That's how the late Soviet Union was. Just total resignation to the shittiness of life.

For the usual TV bullshit? It was one of the most accurate portrayals of anything. That being said they also did a fuckton of character assassination, Dyatlov wasn’t nearly as much of a prick as he’s made out to be (even former workers said as such) and the coal minister, Mikhail Shchadov, was actually well respected by the miners and even worked in mines as early as 15. Its accurate but it also drops the ball on the finer details when it comes to the actual people involved, did the whole le bridge of death thing too.
>female scientist
I’ll give them a pass for that one since they flat out said she was a stand in for all the scientists that worked on containing and cleaning up the mess.

>When handling a subject I'm knowledgeable in, the show many many errors, but I thought it was was perfect on all the topics about which I know nothing

>the portrayal of the USSR and how it worked is spot on
Not really. The show made it seem like people in the Soviet Union were still getting shot for fucking up in 1986 as if it was Stalin's time, lol.

Cherbobyl was not a real event. It's something ((they)) want you to think happened so you're afraid

I wish they had just made this show about some fictional nuclear disaster. Instead they made the show a mix of accurate stuff with good production values and acting, but ALSO completely inaccurate stuff and total fiction, so people who don't know better might get the wrong idea about the real events.

They turned the Dyatlov character into such an over-the-top asshole that they might as well have had him twirl his mustache. Absolutely ridiculous.

Lol, no. The OP pic is a perfect example if it. In reality the minister of energy had worked in the coal mines since he was like 15 and was greatly respected by the coal miners rather than some petty stuck up in a suit.

It was accurate in terms of people screwing up and making do with absolute trash equipment so they could win awards and get promoted, inaccurate in suggesting everyone was one wrong move from a gulag. Also the show played up hostility towards the US, when in fact American cancer doctors were flown out in the aftermath of the disaster and by their own accounts were treated extremely well and worked with their Soviet counterparts to save lives.

For once I agree with the New York Times:
>“Chernobyl,” a five-part mini-series starting Monday on HBO (in coproduction with the British network Sky), takes what you could call a Soviet approach to telling the tale. This is incongruous, since one of the messages of the program is that Soviet approaches don’t work. But there it is: the imposition of a simple narrative on history, the twisting of events to create one-dimensional heroes and villains, the broad-brush symbolism.
>Of course the techniques of Soviet propaganda bore a lot of similarity to the techniques of Hollywood. And in “Chernobyl,” the writer Craig Mazin (“The Hangover” Parts II and III) and the director Johan Renck take an event unlike any other in human history and turn it into a creaky and conventional, if longer than usual, disaster movie.
-nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/television/review-chernobyl-hbo.html

This is from the NYT? How in the hell?

I fucking hate russians.

its gr8 m8

Attached: Untitledddd.jpg (513x464, 101.32K)

Attached: akimov.jpg (528x326, 59.44K)

The set design, costumes, props etc. wonderfully capture the ugly but rugged material culture of the Soviet Union in the 1980s and the power plant itself.

That's all I will say))

Made up bullshit for shock factor, made by dying empires.

The miners never got naked and a sad fact is that the plant never got hot enough to melt the concrete that it would leak to the ground and into the ground water like they thought it would so the miners all got cancer for nothing.

What empires? Take your meds schizo

>I'm feeling a strong 3.6 on this reactor

The femoid scientist replaced an entire team of male scientists. I guess I'm just glad she wasn't black.

There was a Hangover Part III?

Attached: pepe.jpg (250x241, 6.5K)

the bullet points are true but it's obviously exaggerated for some dramatic effect. it's not a documentary

It is a show about how it is important to tell the truth but ironically, it is mostly a bunch of bullshit that is loosely inspired by the real events of Chernobyl. It distorts the real events for the sake of drama and to get the theme across.

I just watched it as well. I liked it. I assumed a lot of it was fairly inaccurate for dramatic effect but it was a good show.