Was the show a play on the idea of being a monk?

Was the show a play on the idea of being a monk?
Adrian is OCD and clean in a very monk like way. He’s religious in his cleanliness and able to see through the mess of evidence to find clues that others cannot.

Attached: CF795B5D-1C9D-4420-8C0A-A71B62372CAF.jpg (718x1024, 179.79K)

No, it is called Monk. That is the title.

I’m aware. But using the title of Monk brings to mind the idea of an actual monk. Was this intentional or was the characterization of Adrian related to that idea?

No you don't get it THAT IS THE TITLE.

I think Adrian is the main character but they just wanted a title so they chose Monk because it is a fine name.

is right.

Yes, it is the title. The main character’s name is Adrian Monk. So the show is his last name.
That can be all true and still be related to the idea of being a monk.

His name is Adrian but the show is called Monk. It also takes place in San Francisco (I think?) but that is neither here nor there.

I think you are probably both right. Both make good points.

But don’t you think his OCD and zaniness is kind of a play on the idea of a Buddhist monk that lives a zen life with no care for material things?

I personally think it is more of a play on the tenacious repetitive obsession of the monk rather than the ascetic take. He is the absolute opposite of zen and literally requires himself to be a machine of obsessed focused repitition to be able to even have normal calmness and in that obsession he sees through things people would miss at a glance.

The name Monk is THE TITLE OF THE SHOW.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at in the first post. He's like a trained monk and uses his skills (OCD) to solve crime. Do you think the creators had this in mind?

Attached: adrianMONK.png (757x756, 923.5K)

adrian has a bunch of material things and their condition/organization is important to him
plus he had a wife, that's not a very monk thing to do

I was actually trying to point out that he was the opposite in that way; he is overly concerned with material things and has to straighten and clean everything up. His focus and dedication to detail helps him solve murders while making him eccentric. Quite the opposite of a Buddhist monk, but possibly playing of the viewers preconception of what a “monk” is.

I think so. Personally seems like lightening a pretty debilitating thing which offers perspective but I would hardly characterize as a skill.

No Monk is the TITLE. But his name is Adrian Monk.

Oh definitely. Skill is a very poor way of putting it, more using it to his advantage. I thought I was going crazy about the monk thing, though. Before I knew what the show was about, I had always thought that it was strange they chose to name the show Monk and it not be a Buddhist. Mind you, I was like 9, but I still didn’t get if there was a connection with his OCD or not. Thank you for confirming I’m not crazy. I couldn’t find any discussions, articles, or mentions about this topic.

You are not crazy, it was a smart connection to make! Happy to offer confirmation/peace of mind!

why did you only think of buddhist monks?

Y’know, that’s a fair point. I guess because they’re what pops into my head as a stereotypical monk. I think it’s the image of someone going to live at a temple and shaving their hair off and living in their orange outfit, maybe taking a vow of silence. But there are definitely a variety of different types of monks.

I now want to see and AI directed Monk episode

Attached: AI Monk episode.png (1113x691, 88.21K)

No, now fuck off.